• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    When was your Mini made? Earlier examples had a reputation for so-so accuracy at best. It was eventually determined that poor barrel harmonics were the source. Once that was addressed accuracy improved. I'm not sure of the time period that change was instituted or what serial number.
    IIRC, the improved models began with the 58"x" and up serial numbers.
    The serial number does begin with 583, so it is the later model. I didn't get a chance to take it back out yesterday, but I did give it a semi-quick cleaning.

Once thing I have done to it, is installed a SHOK-BUFF recoil buffer on the rear of the op rod spring (took this pic off of the 'net for an example):

Capture.JPG

While I was looking for the above pic as an example to post what I've done, I also saw that someone else has installed the same SHOK-BUFF over the gas pipe (like in the pic below). I may try this, the shock buffers tame the violent recoil/metal on metal contact of the op rod at each opposing end.

Capture1.JPG

These are the SHOK-BUFF recoil buffers, marketed for M1911A1's but they also work in the mini-14

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The serial number does begin with 583, so it is the later model. I didn't get a chance to take it back out yesterday, but I did give it a semi-quick cleaning.

Once thing I have done to it, is installed a SHOK-BUFF recoil buffer on the rear of the op rod spring (took this pic off of the 'net for an example):

View attachment 387334

While I was looking for the above pic as an example to post what I've done, I also saw that someone else has installed the same SHOK-BUFF over the gas pipe (like in the pic below). I may try this, the shock buffers tame the violent recoil/metal on metal contact of the op rod at each opposing end.

View attachment 387335

These are the SHOK-BUFF recoil buffers, marketed for M1911A1's but they also work in the mini-14

Any signs of it being over gassed? Mine is also a newer model and was chucking brass ~15yds and denting cases. Swapped to a reduced gas bushing and problem solved. Accuracy tightened up a bit as well IIRC. Need to get it out to the range again soon.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Any signs of it being over gassed? Mine is also a newer model and was chucking brass ~15yds and denting cases. Swapped to a reduced gas bushing and problem solved. Accuracy tightened up a bit as well IIRC. Need to get it out to the range again soon.
    Hmm. I've never looked at the brass for dents (that I can recall). It does fling the shells very assertively. I'll check the brass next time I go out. If I can find them :)

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    I have both, and love shooting either and accept their differences. The mini has a far more beautiful soundtrack when you grab that op-rod and cycle the action though…..love that sound it makes. Have several ARs, but mainly because they are like Lego’s and it’s fun making each a little different from the next. Only have 1 mini, and that one in the classifieds here has my attention, but I wanted a -30 for my 2nd mini……..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom