Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a scope purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    bottom line my friend, unfortunately you are now on their radar for sure.

As an individual who investigates i can tell you that’s not true. I’ve talked to a ton of people who were suspects until they talked to me and their stories totally made sense, making me realize i needed to switch gears

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As an individual who investigates i can tell you that’s not true. I’ve talked to a ton of people who were suspects until they talked to me and their stories totally made sense, making me realize i needed to switch gears

There are certainly bigger fish to fry swimming out there.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Well since there is some giant conspiracy, we all technically are on a radar somewhere, we are gunowners just because the feds do not come to our house does not mean they do not have us lined up for just in case...Am I doing it right.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I had my time cards checked at my place of employment and received a questioning over the phone from an ATF agent during the Beltway Sniper incident. I had recently purchased an AR15.

Feb 2, 2014
    Mission Creep

George W. Bush, in one of his major missteps as POTUS, rushed to create DHS as a response to the 9/11 attacks. Nowadays, I hear of DHS "Police" doing SWAT-like raids on folks in NC for the offense of bringing a "gray market" Land Rover Discovery into USA. Counterterrorism investigations I understand; but, this appears to be mission creep. Unless the scope in question (1) was an ITARS item and (2) there was indicia that the recipient was exporting the scope, then this is an overreach.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    George W. Bush, in one of his major missteps as POTUS, rushed to create DHS as a response to the 9/11 attacks. Nowadays, I hear of DHS "Police" doing SWAT-like raids on folks in NC for the offense of bringing a "gray market" Land Rover Discovery into USA. Counterterrorism investigations I understand; but, this appears to be mission creep.

Before 9-11, those investigations were done by 'Customs Special Agents' and in the programs division of INS. It's not like the mission of Homeland Security Investigations was created out of thin air. All the blocks that make up legoland were in existence before the agency was formed.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fact is we do not know enough about this for anyone here to say that the OP was not the subject of the investigation or a person of interest in it. This is a home visit by two federal agents. With firearms ownership, no matter how careful one is, due to the 20,000 laws on the subject, there unfortunately laws one might be breaking, and where even a causal comment, for example about parts you never intend to assemble into a particular firearm, can go to felony constructive possession.

Now to be sure there are plenty of cases where it would be in your in the federal agents interest to eliminate you as a possible subject of interest/suspicion For example you are buying legal gun parts for your own use, but you are also making custom parts for boats, or jewelry, or reconditioning cabbage patch dolls, and you either have sent that overseas yourself, or sold those perfectly legal things to someone who aggregates them and sends them overseas. In that case you could be an subject of investigation and it is better to clear everything up so you and law enforcement can move on to the real bad guys.

That said, itis completely unwise to have this interview inside your home, and could be unwise to do so without an attorney. it is also unwise to not know that sometimes "friendly conversation" is just tht, but it is also a specific and well understood technique.

In legal terms you are in a "non custodial environment" meaning the investigators can lie about everything, not inform you of your rights, not inform you that you are the subject of the investigation and use everything and anything you say against you - -and anything they see as well.

For an understanding just how many more rights you gave up, and how you exposed yourself to well understood interrogation technique, see this:
    The feigned friendliness of FBI agents is not just a matter of getting people to loosen up. One of the government’s briefs in the Winner case argues that by being “exceedingly friendly” and always keeping their voices at a “conversational level” and carrying “no visible weapons,” the agents acted in a way that created a noncustodial environment. It’s a law enforcement twofer: By acting polite, law enforcement agents persuade people to talk and lift from themselves the obligation to inform people of their right not to talk. In a way, FBI interrogations are akin to con games, with the mark played by ordinary citizens whose interests are not actually served by chatting with law enforcement agents pretending they’d just like to clear up a minor misunderstanding.
    “Good interviewers have an instinct to find some connection with the person you are interviewing and try to make them comfortable,” said Mike German, a retired FBI agent who is now a fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice. “You want to have the person you’re interviewing in a cooperative mood. People tend to cooperate with people they have some positive feeling for. The ability to make a personal connection in a short period of time is a valuable talent.”
    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/28...e-tactics-of-exceedingly-friendly-fbi-agents/

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    I allowed an IRS agent into my home many years ago for a meeting that could have been done in his office. It was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    George W. Bush, in one of his major missteps as POTUS, rushed to create DHS as a response to the 9/11 attacks. Nowadays, I hear of DHS "Police" doing SWAT-like raids on folks in NC for the offense of bringing a "gray market" Land Rover Discovery into USA. Counterterrorism investigations I understand; but, this appears to be mission creep. Unless the scope in question (1) was an ITARS item and (2) there was indicia that the recipient was exporting the scope, then this is an overreach.

Mission creep is SOP for federal (and usually state) agencies. Give a federal agency purview over, lets say, grading the chewiness of chewable vitamins; in two weeks they’ll have a fully kitted out tac-team serving no-knock warrants on Mike-n-Ike factories claiming its chewy candy was constructive intent to make black market chewy vitamins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awg9tech

Jan 7, 2013
    One of two things have occurred:

You’ve lost your sarcasm emoji

Or

You’ve lost your way and are trolling a community that neither likes nor appreciates your perspective...at all

Or the third option:

After many years on this planet, I’ve come to realize the reality we all live in.

1. You are only as free as the state will allow you to be.

2. Many espouse the virtues of freedom and liberty, so long as it is they who get to decide to whom, and to what measure those freedoms and liberty applies.

3. And all those folks you meet at Walmart, are potential jurors of your peers, and registered voters.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Or the third option:

After many years on this planet, I’ve come to realize the reality we all live in.

1. You are only as free as the state will allow you to be.

2. Many espouse the virtues of freedom and liberty, so long as it is they who get to decide to whom, and to what measure those freedoms and liberty applies.

3. And all those folks you meet at Walmart, are potential jurors of your peers, and registered voters.
    Check.

I’m a cynic by nature. I have little but disdain and distrust for our government.

You, sir, need to find a shred of hope and work on helping change our predicament.

Is it better to sit and curse the darkness OR get up off your arse and turn on a light (and get a beer from the fridge while you’re up)?

It’s rhetorical. Life’s about choices. Either you’re in it to win it or you’re checked out. Choices.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I suspect there was more than one factor in identifying the OP as a potential export conduit. Consider the following: I had a business associate that was scheduled to depart a northeast airport for Columbia. He got on the plane, then was paged to depart the plane and answer a telephone call. The project in Columbia was cancelled and the home office wanted him to get off the plane so as to avoid paying for an expensive round trip flight with no business purpose. As soon as he got off the phone he was immediately swarmed with DHS agents who took him and his carry on into a back room, strip searched him and kept questioning him in Spanish. He kept protesting that he didn't speak Spanish. Eventually he was released. Months later he learned the reason for the unsolicited attention. There was at the time a smuggling profile that he fit. Smuggler one would board the plane, and during the flight secretly unscrew a trim panel and hide drugs. Get off the plane clean. The next morning that equipment would be scheduled to depart. Smuggler 2 would board the plane, sit in the same seat and collect the drugs. Then they would invent a reason to deplane with the drugs and no search. Most likely there are more factors to your purchase that alerted them than just the scope purchase. Since I'm not a smuggler I have no idea what that could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom