• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    REcovery could be under 1983 for a 2A constitutional violation or for simple false arrest, which is a 4th Amendment claim.

That brings up another question. Did DC receive a stay pending appeal? I don't remember seeing anything but I could be missing something with my layman self.:o

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    REcovery could be under 1983 for a 2A constitutional violation or for simple false arrest, which is a 4th Amendment claim.

I don't see anyone winning a case like that right now with the federal courts' history on the matter (just look at US v. Robinson)The various state RKBA analogues seem to offer better protection, but let's just say I would not want to be in a position like Kokesh was and get caught OC in DC.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

I agree that should be the case, but given the courts' propensity to stretch the "qualified immunity" doctrine to absurd lengths, I don't see cops ever being held liable for any firearms related arrests.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I agree that should be the case, but given the courts' propensity to stretch the "qualified immunity" doctrine to absurd lengths, I don't see cops ever being held liable for any firearms related arrests.

Au Contraire. See McDaniel v. Arnold, 898 F.Supp.2d 809 (D. MD. 2012).

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    SO now we wait and see what will happen. I wonder how long the waiting will be? Any of our legal members have any idea?

DC requested en banc in Heller III and a vote was taken. IIRC, panel opinion came down in Sept. and rehearing was denied in January. I expect something similar here if en banc is denied, as there will be a dissent. A grant could come much earlier, as no judge writes then.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Very good read and very well written.

What is interesting about the response is that it makes no attempt to deny or even to address the acknowledged circuit split, which is, by itself, important as a justification for granting en banc under Rule 35 FRAP. Interesting strategy. It suggests that they believe that there was not much use in addressing it. I would tend to agree with any such assessment.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Very good read and very well written.

Indeed it was a very good read. Gura does a great job of summarizing the cases and rulings that have lead up to this one.

I personally hope the District's legal team reads it twice. I hope their souls sink and their hearts ache. I hope they: Realize that they are hard at work violating the Constitutional rights of ~1 million people every day. Feel guilty for trying to build a system which ensures that the weak will always be victimized by the strong. Understand that they force hard working Americans to choose between safety and committing a felony. Know deep down that they are wrong and they will lose.

I just hope they stick with it long enough to give us a few more carry precedents so we can move on to repealing the NFA. Hey I can dream can't I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom