• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Mossberg 500 12 Ga with a 18 1/2" Cylinder boar barrel which I plan on using it for deer next year I am looking at a BSA 2.5x20mm Deerhunter Shotgun . I know it is rather cheap but I was wondering if it would be a good choice for a first time hunter I will likley be using Brenneke 2 3/4" K.O. slugs or there 2 3/4"-3" Black Magic Slugs.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Just make sure he BSA is rated for the recoil of a 12 gauge. I have a redhead reddot on my 40cal CX4 Storm and hate it, I would never even consider puting it or something like it on my 500.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I think for deer hunting-instead of an inexpensive optic-you would be better served to spend the money on a longer barrel and go with open sights. I say this because while you can improve your "aim" with the optic, you would be better to improve your "accuracy" with a longer, purpose-built hunting barrel. You don't have to go overboard and get the rifled, cantilever mount barrel. Just get the smooth-bore slug barrel with open sights and save for the optic for next season.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I think for deer hunting-instead of an inexpensive optic-you would be better served to spend the money on a longer barrel and go with open sights. I say this because while you can improve your "aim" with the optic, you would be better to improve your "accuracy" with a longer, purpose-built hunting barrel. You don't have to go overboard and get the rifled, cantilever mount barrel. Just get the smooth-bore slug barrel with open sights and save for the optic for next season.
    +1 :thumbsup:

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I have never been hunting and am not sure I will like it I plan on using the shotgun BC that is what I have at hand but it only has a bead site on (soon to be replaced with a TruGlo fat bead) If this set up I already have will work well I would like to us it intill I know if I like hunting.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Buy one box of slugs of all various types and see what your shotgun likes to eat. I have like six different types to try once my shotgun gets back from being drilled and tapped.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I have never been hunting and am not sure I will like it I plan on using the shotgun BC that is what I have at hand but it only has a bead site on (soon to be replaced with a TruGlo fat bead) If this set up I already have will work well I would like to us it intill I know if I like hunting.

My only concern is that you won't be able to hit the "broad side of a barn" with a slug with that barrel. If you actually shoot at a deer and miss, then you will definitely not like hunting. If you buy the optic and don't like hunting, you will be pretty much in the same boat (you won't be using it for home defense) as you would with the barrel--either way, you will have an extra/unused accessory.
    I still would get the barrel over the optic. Either way-good luck and remember hunting is about getting out in the woods and enjoying the outdoors-not just killing a deer.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    My only concern is that you won't be able to hit the "broad side of a barn" with a slug with that barrel. If you actually shoot at a deer and miss, then you will definitely not like hunting. If you buy the optic and don't like hunting, you will be pretty much in the same boat (you won't be using it for home defense) as you would with the barrel--either way, you will have an extra/unused accessory.
    I still would get the barrel over the optic. Either way-good luck and remember hunting is about getting out in the woods and enjoying the outdoors-not just killing a deer.
    thanks for the advice I was just checking out other forums and read about www.havlinsales.com they have a 24" Smooth Bore Slugster with rifle sights barrel for $49.99 (Blowout sale) I havn't been abaleto find a better price the only thing I might have to change on it is the color.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    thanks for the advice I was just checking out other forums and read about www.havlinsales.com they have a 24" Smooth Bore Slugster with rifle sights barrel for $49.99 (Blowout sale) I havn't been abaleto find a better price the only thing I might have to change on it is the color.

Nice site. The OFM is on closeout I would assume because of it's (lack of) popularity. Buy it anyway and then go do what Trapture said with the various types of slugs. Pretty much all barrels are different as to what they shoot the best.
    That will be the best thing you can do for your deer hunting "experiment". With the modern firearms season all but over, you'll have almost a year to shoot and get comfortable with the gun.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    Nice site. The OFM is on closeout I would assume because of it's (lack of) popularity. Buy it anyway and then go do what Trapture said with the various types of slugs. Pretty much all barrels are different as to what they shoot the best.
    That will be the best thing you can do for your deer hunting "experiment". With the modern firearms season all but over, you'll have almost a year to shoot and get comfortable with the gun.
    thanks for the advice I am going to take the hunting safety course in march so I can go next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom