• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    1) I happen to have a Bushmaster lower...JUST the lower. An older one (not sure exactly how old). Is their quality sufficient to use as the base to build a nice custom AR?

2) Does anyone around teach a class in AR building these days? Any other suggestions for a DIY project?

3) Is it possible to use one lower and easily switch uppers to shoot either 9mm or 22lr? How reliable are magazines for 9mm or 22lr in a standard lower?

4) Does anyone build their own uppers for 9mm and 22lr? Or just buy the already assembled?

5) Which parts do you want to spend the most money on for accuracy and reliability? Suggestions for parts manufacturers?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    1) I happen to have a Bushmaster lower...JUST the lower. An older one (not sure exactly how old). Is their quality sufficient to use as the base to build a nice custom AR?
    Yes
    2) Does anyone around teach a class in AR building these days? Any other suggestions for a DIY project?
    SOTAR
    3) Is it possible to use one lower and easily switch uppers to shoot either 9mm or 22lr? How reliable are magazines for 9mm or 22lr in a standard lower?
    With a couple exceptions, yes
    4) Does anyone build their own uppers for 9mm and 22lr? Or just buy the already assembled?
    Yes, depending one's abilities, build or buy
    5) Which parts do you want to spend the most money on for accuracy and reliability? Suggestions for parts manufacturers?
    A properly built upper is essential. A good barrel is key.
    You could write volumes on parts and manufacturers. Prices usually reflect quality. If you any questions regarding quality of a given part, just ask...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not sure of the MD law issues, but if it was purchased as a lower, amd not bought or built as a rifle, you have the option of a pistol build, which is really nice for 22 and 9.

Not sure of any classes, but some ranges/gun shops offer them

22 is an easy swap. Best way is a dedicated upper, then either black dog conversion mags or a bettermag adapter in the lower and M&P22 mags. You could use a CMMG conversion bolt and mags in a 5.56 upper, but it's filthy and not always accurate. A 9mm upper typically requires a mag adapter, and heavier buffer/spring. You could use an adapter with GLOCK or colt mags or endomags(Blowback version) without an adapter. Could also do a CMMG RDB upper and endomags(RDB mags).

Could buy assembled, but many build, all mine are built by me. There is no gas system to worry about, so they are easy to do. Just a vise block that clamps the upper externally, no receiver extension for a BEV block or reaction rod to engage.

IMO a good receiver set, BCG and barrel are critical, any flaw will give you headaches. I'm a trigger snob, so that would be next. From there it's personal prefference.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    No issues building on a Bushmaster lower.

I would try and determine if you bought it pre-2013, because if so, you can build basically whatever AR15 configuration your heart desires, assuming you follow federal guidelines for what is legally considered a rifle (16 inch barrel, which can be a 14.5 if the muzzle device is pinned and welded to reach 16).

I would say that a Bushmaster lower is perfectly adequate for a high end rifle build.

If you want the most accuracy for your $ while still retaining a chrome-lined barrel, check out Criterion. For more budget but still good barrel options, check out Ballistic Advantage (owned by Aero Precision).

As far as building, the devil is in the details. Putting together a decent pea-shooter is easy. I'd go so far as to say anyone with a decent set of tools, a vice, and access to youtube can do it, but getting the most accuracy/ reliability out of your selection of parts requires a bit more knowhow, as well as building something you can trust your life to.

As others have mentioned, SOTAR is probably the best resource period when it comes to building AR's. I'd start working on getting your parts and enrolling in one of his courses. You'll walk away with a rifle you can trust and more knowledge than you ever wanted on the platform.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    There's a USMC technical Manual that is a great guide for building , troubleshooting, and maintaining an AR type firearm. You should be able to find a free download of it somewhere. You can put one together with very basic hand tools, some are dedicated, but nothing's that expensive. A 4"-5"+ bench vise is very helpful, as is a torque wrench.

Bushmaster used to be one of the top three or four brands back when I started building them. The older ones, made in Maine, are very good, but I don't have any experience with the later ones.

Assembling a 9X19 variant is just as easy, and you can use a receiver block adapter in the regular (5.56) dimension lower in order to use Colt or Glock pattern mags in your 9X19 upper. I generally avoid AR15-looking .22LR uppers, preferring instead to use a proven .22LR autoloading design, such as a Ruger 10/22, which will do anything a .22LR AR15 type rifle does, and do it better, and for less money.

The best site for learning about the platform is without a doubt AR15.com

Take your time. Don't force anything. Pick your parts wisely and you won't have to replace anything later.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/A..._BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_/4-226782/

Last edited:

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Assembling a lower is relatively easy. Just following one of the many YouTube videos will get you through the basics without any special tools. A bench vice is nice to have, but it can be done without one. Get extra detents and springs, as you are likely to shoot one or a half dozen across the room. Some parts can be assembled inside a clear bag to keep those detents and springs from escaping.

Uppers normally require a few more tools and a bit more patience, so you may want to just stick to assembled uppers.

Chad (SOTAR) is in Elkton, so pretty easy from the Shore. His classes are not cheap, but you get pizza and all the sweet tea you can drink. You will learn more than you can remember in any of his classes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Chad (SOTAR) is in Elkton, so pretty easy from the Shore. His classes are not cheap, but you get pizza and all the sweet tea you can drink. You will learn more than you can remember in any of his classes.

This. Very worthwhile.

csxt602

Oct 29, 2020
    Essex, MD

Hell, I've learned more than I can remember just from his Youtube videos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom