• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I thought about trying to get into casting about 15 years ago, but I kind of gave up because I couldn't seem to figure out a source of lead. Dad used to cast a lot because back when he was doing it, lead wasn't regulated like it is now - he could go down to the Farmer's Co-op and get a 5 gallon bucket of used wheel weights, usually for the price of putting together some reloads for one of the guys at the tire shop. That made shooting heavy handguns about the same cost as shooting 22 LR, and back then you could get a carton of 500 for about $5.

Nowadays it's just not that easy. Fundamentally I know how, and it wouldn't take long to get geared up for it, but sourcing the lead like Dad used to is a whole other issue altogether.

Pure lead can be obtained from asking a bunch of scrapyards around your area if they have any lead available to sell. Most of the time, it's sheetlead and lead pipe that they have at hand. Stay away from wheel weights unless you like sorting a whole bucket and only getting 10% of it to actually be lead. You can buy refined lead online easily from ebay, rotometals, acme bullet company, etc.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/rmr...llet-cores-approximately-12-brinnel-hardness/ - decently priced at 1.67/lb lead for pistol and gas checked rifle bullets. Mix in a bit of super hard alloy or linotype if you want to make it harder.

I've also seen homemade bullet traps for private ranges used to reclaim lead for casting/scrapping purposes to make shooting cheaper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom