• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I have a friend who recently acquired a 1902 colt chambered for 38acp. (Rimless smokeless ) printed on the slide. Any ideas where I can locate a box? Normal ammo sources come up empty.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Jul 1, 2012
    I get mine from Parabellum Research, they load to exact original specs (important for these old guys).
    If they don't have it in stock you can call and they might make you a batch, not sure if they'd just do one box though :)

oh.... then again, maybe not. Looks like they are down for a while after a bad fire.
    Unfortunate on many levels, the only place I could reliably find it.
    https://www.pbrammo.com/catalog/ammunition-caliber/38-acp

DO NOT shoot .38 super out of it. It may be tempting as it's the same case, same bullet... but +P power.
    It'll break something for sure, at some point.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Not the military. That was a longer slide. I believe it's the sporting model. Very interesting on how it comes apart.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cartridges of the World says considered obsolete no major manufacturer produces anymore. Tell your buddy to save the brass and start looking for reloading dies if he wants to shoot.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    He really doesn't want to shoot it per se. Just wants to run a few rounds through it to make sure it functions.

Jul 1, 2012
    Not the military. That was a longer slide. I believe it's the sporting model. Very interesting on how it comes apart.

Sounds like the "pocket hammer" then, which was basically a cut-down Sporting with a 4 1/2" barrel.
    Things to definitely check before shooting:
    1) cracks around the front corner of the slide lock opening (see pic)
    2) cracks on the barrel where the front lug joins
    3) cracks in the firing pin on the hammer end, or broken tip (it's brass believe it or not)

He really doesn't want to shoot it per se. Just wants to run a few rounds through it to make sure it functions.
    They're actually pretty fun to shoot :)

Attachments

• 15c.JPG
      15c.JPG
      113.4 KB · Views: 111

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Option #1 - Various small custom loaders . The price on Buffalo Arms website isn't out of line .

This sounds like what your friend would need.

Option #2 - Load your own . The components and dies are readily available . Graff's offers brass with actual .38Auto headstamp , if that's important to you .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom