• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 9, 2013
    So based on what I'm reading on here, as long as the barrel is 16+ inches and has HBAR stamped in its legal? What about flash hiders? None, Pinned or welded?
    If Im wrong, can someone point me to which companies uppers are legal? I was leaning toward a 7.62x39 upper but cannot find anything with HBAR...help

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Uppers are not regulated firearms. The Lower Receiver is regulated. When bought as a whole, an HBAR is unregulated. Some dispute remains as to if it has to be a colt sporter HBAR or if any HBAR will do. Your mileage may vary depending on what the MSP say.

Also, modifying an HBAR rifle to no longer be an HBAR should make it a regulated firearm needing registration and all that jazz, though I'm no legal expert on SB281.

Apr 9, 2013
    Uppers are not regulated firearms. The Lower Receiver is regulated. When bought as a whole, an HBAR is unregulated. Some dispute remains as to if it has to be a colt sporter HBAR or if any HBAR will do. Your mileage may vary depending on what the MSP say.

Also, modifying an HBAR rifle to no longer be an HBAR should make it a regulated firearm needing registration and all that jazz, though I'm no legal expert on SB281.
    So if I purchase an HBAR upper and place it on a stripped lower receiver that I already own Im good to go. Correct?

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    As of right now most all of them are legal. After Oct. 1st just look to see what is on the gun shop shelves. I am sure there are going to be a lot of lawyers looking into this to advise the shop owners.

Apr 9, 2013
    As of right now most all of them are legal. After Oct. 1st just look to see what is on the gun shop shelves. I am sure there are going to be a lot of lawyers looking into this to advise the shop owners.[/QU

Are flash hiders legal? I realize no one really knows what is going on but I guess im just looking for some sound guidance.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    So if I purchase an HBAR upper and place it on a stripped lower receiver that I already own Im good to go. Correct?

If you purchased a stripped lower receiver in MD, it's already registered. You don't have to worry about it being an HBAR or not or having a flash hider or not. It's already a regulated firearm.

Apr 9, 2013
    If you purchased a stripped lower receiver in MD, it's already registered. You don't have to worry about it being an HBAR or not or having a flash hider or not. It's already a regulated firearm.

Are we sure that a stripped lower must be registered like handguns? In MD anyway?

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Are we sure that a stripped lower must be registered like handguns? In MD anyway?

Uh, quite sure. A stripped lower is technically an AR, and without an HBAR sold attached to it, it would not qualify as an HBAR to exempt it from regulation.

Either that or every gun dealer in the state hates me and wants me to go through the whole regulated firearm process for them.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    I feel very uncomfortable with this line of questioning...

I admit, I thought maybe he was O'Malley and he wanted to ask this before signing the bill.

There's no need to be uncomfortable though. If he currently owns a stripped lower like he stated, then it's already a regulated firearm in MD and he's allowed to put an upper on it that would match said regulations.

Any questions of are all HBARs regulated or are stripped lowers regulated even if you throw an HBAR on them come October are for MSP to figure out and inform us of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom