• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    So I recently got my hands on some 7828 from when it was still Dupont. Cans sealed still. Opened one and everything smelled normal. Smells like my brand new double-base, as far as I can tell. Did a ladder test to find optimum velocity and velocities were WELL lower than the book. Max charge of 61.8 (per Hornady 10th edition) was supposed to be 3100 fps and I had 2850.

New rifle, just broken in. Remington magnum primers. BUT, used brass that should've been annealed (I'm still learning). Could lack of annealing account for THAT much difference in velocity? If I understand correctly, it would cause the brass to not seal the chamber as effectively and pressure would be lost. The case necks are tad sooty, not sure if that has anything to do with not sealing. The shoulders were bumped back 2 thou, just enough for the bolt to close.

Side note, Hodgdon's site lists the max load for 120 gr 257 Wby as 69 grains of 7828 vs Hornady's 61.8. Seems like a BIG difference.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Hmm I saw the title of this thread If you have old powder how do you dispose of it?
    I'm sure hubby has some up in the shed hasn't touched it in yrs. thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You cannot make and comparisons without something to compare to. Book velocities are with their firearm, which may have a longer or shorter barrel than yours.

Shoot and chrono some factory ammo and see what you get.

As for disposing of old powder, sprinkle over your yard or garden. It is good fertilizer.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    As others have posted the numbers from the books are just numbers. Unless your load is from the same lot of brass, lot of primers, lot of powder, lot of bullets, and fired from the same test gun the that the publisher used, your numbers will be different. There are so many variables that it is too many list.

The only way to know if the powder you have has deteriorated is if you had loaded some ammo years ago and tested it. Then load some ammo now with the same components and see if there is a change.

The best that the regular handloader can do is obtain information from multiple sources and most importantly pay attention to what they are doing.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    So you're saying that 250 fps difference is within normal range of difference? I'm using the same exact rifle as their test rifle (Weatherby Vanguard). Different case and primer.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Alliant has a batch of Bullseye powder that is over 100 years old. They test some periodically. It is still fine. 250 fps is about 8%. What is your shot to shot variance?

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I only ever had a powder go bad once. An old can of imr4320. I bought it as new but it must had been on a shelf a long time or stored improperly. When opened, it was a rusty color, stunk horrible bad, and was clumped together. Dumped it and lit it off.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Two weeks ago I had the same issue with IMR 4320 I saw rust blister on the can sure enough the powder had rust flakes in it. That formula must be more corrosive than normal.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Your velocity variation is well within (normal ) variation. Were you using the exact same bullet, barrel length, amount of wear etc. etc. etc.
    Also you normally will always fall short of manual stated velocities.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I have used powder that was 20 years old in factory sealed containers that was stored in a barn in PA for 10 years of it's life and chronographed it against the same new powder and the small difference in velocity between the old and new could be accounted for by lot to lot variance. The old powder looked and smelled fine. When you think about it -- I fired ammo ( and I'm sure everybody has) that is 40, 50, 60, years or more old and it performs fine. The powder in those cases is as old as the ammo. Who knows what conditions that old ammo may have been stored under. AS long as the powder storage containers are air tight - that is probably the most important factor.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Reloading/Vendor%20Supplied%20Load%20Data/IMR%20Smokeless%20Powder%20Reloading%20Guide%20---%20April%202004.pdf

And .... Weatherby Brand Rifles have ( typically ) very long throats. Lots of other manufacturers used shorter throats in their barrels, and that can cause pressure spikes. So I won't be to terribly surprised by Max load data differences.

From Weatherbys webpage...

What is the throat length (free bore) on your Weatherby rifles chambered for Weatherby magnum calibers?
    Cartridge Throat length (free bore)
    224 Weatherby Magnum .162
    240 Weatherby Magnum .169
    257 Weatherby Magnum .378
    6.5 WBY RPM .105
    6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum .2037
    270 Weatherby Magnum .378
    7MM Weatherby Magnum .378
    300 Weatherby Magnum .361
    340 Weatherby Magnum .373
    375 Weatherby Magnum .373
    378 Weatherby Magnum .756