Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Doubles you say?
    9873cPi.jpg

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    There's nothing like an old Army training movie.

A few people have suggested lubricating the operating rod catch. This brought to mind that I have a new operating rod spring. Charlie told me that it would be stiff and powerful.
    When I insert the clip, I'm working against the operating rod spring to work the catch. Perhaps it's just that the spring is new and stiff?

You can see what I'm talking about here: https://youtu.be/GJJeBXZeVZU?t=130

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, those of you who had "lubricate the op-rod catch" on your Bingo cards, you are the winners.

I popped the guts out of the stock (it was tight!) and it didn't look well lubricated to me. I greased it up and it made quite a bit of difference.

If you're asking why I was reluctant to get into the gun and do this, it's because it was just serviced and when the Garand Master says "Don't screw with it!" you listen to him!
    If this was a CMP rifle, I would have field stripped it without hesitation.

I think I've worked out all the little kinks and hopefully I can try it out on a range before too long.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I feel ya.

I have an M1-A custom built for me by the late (great!) Ray “Parky” Parkinson and it is so tight I don’t know what I’m gonna do if I ever do need to disassemble it. :-/

Parky also built me two NM Garands, a ‘06 and a .308 which I tragically had to sell to pay medical bill deductibles when our oldest miraculously survived back-to-back cancers.

The ‘06 buyer contacted me later gushing about the insane accuracy of the rifle but said he was calling because he, “couldn’t get it apart.”

I still laugh when I recall how I screamed at him through the phone to stop trying to “take the rifle apart!”

Glad you got your gremlin slayed; I envy you but am thrilled for you having “a Duff” to treasure AND enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom