• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, I have a lower I don’t use much and I know I did some musical triggers last year but the hammer pin is walking out on me. I noticed this at the range when it lost the first stage and it went off like a single stage trigger. Good thing I practice trigger discipline and only put finger on trigger when I acquire the target.
    Well pulled it out and noticed this hammer does not have the J spring in the middle that actually holds the pin from walking out. It does not even have the slot either.
    I’m wondering if there is some part I’m missing that keeps the pin in? Maybe a different hammer spring I need to look for? Or maybe this hammer uses a different pin that I left in the lower I took it out of?
    Here are pics with the problem hammer on the right and a working hammer on the left
    It’s not the pins itself cause I swapped pins and the pi. From the problem hammer works fine in the left hammer in a lower

Edit, did not take a pic but the right side of the hammer end where the notch for the pin is has a recess. Hard to describe but I'm wondering again, if I"m missing something that goes there. Just need to know what I need to look for in my bag of trigger parts. YOu can't see what I"m talking about in the photos below cause I took photos with the left side facing camera.

e44116b659d7a7ef133ed5321b61a7ae.jpg

8d0fe2c8b6b01a2e6b02ea0fc9296114.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    There is a circular retention spring the goes on the side of the hammer. It engages the groove on the end of the hammer pin. Sounds like a call to Geiselle is in order

Attachments

• 7A7741ED-D103-49C5-9221-C9A2283AB66F.jpeg
      7A7741ED-D103-49C5-9221-C9A2283AB66F.jpeg
      73.7 KB · Views: 294

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Is it possible you used different pins from another trigger or the stock pins from a lpk? Geiselle pins are typically slightly larger than most. They also make pins of different gauges so might just need to size up. I imagine a call to Geiselle would result in some free pins.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a circular retention spring the goes on the side of the hammer. It engages the groove on the end of the hammer pin. Sounds like a call to Geiselle is in order

This, the G2S and Brownells GRF and G2S-E use that system, the more expensive models use the J-spring. They say it's a cost saving measure, but when every $10 mil-spec hammer has a J-spring, not sure if it's that or just a way for Bill to justify a $240 trigger that feels the same as a $165 one. They usually include a few with the triggers that use them to keep some spares, no real problems other than as you describe, swapping triggers and loosing or forgetting to reinstall that spring clip. Geissele pins are nothing special, other than the fact they have 3 notches, some LPKs have pins with a center and single side notch, or a pin with 2 side notches for the trigger, and a pin with a single center notch for the hammer, these could end up with problems where the hammer's retainer spring engages the side notch, and not the center as most with a J-spring do.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That's it!
    I had totally forgotten I ordered a G2S at one point. All my others are SSA or SSA-E
    They have a spare spring set on the website with 2 of them in the kit, so I just ordered them.

thx

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    OP glad you got it sorted out!

I tutored under a professional smith for a short stint and to this day a container of various sized zip loc baggies and other small, clear containers, along with a sharpie sit near my bench. Invaluable for keeping various small pins, tiny springs, microscopic clips, etc etc together with their other, original parts - not just when dealing with guns belonging to different parties but my own.

Glad you’re back on track!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom