• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I have searched for various terms here and can't find a definitive thread discussing .40 defense ammo.

Please don't let this drop into a debate between 9mm, .40 and .45.

I am using a Glock 35 if the handgun matters. Thanks.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I'm running 180 gold dots and ranger bonded in my shield. Rangers , gold dots and hst are all good choices. Try different weights to see what you and your glock shoot best

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense
    All Critical Defense® ammunition is loaded in nickel cases for increased visibility in low-light situations. Premium low fl ash propellants deliver proven performance, even in very shortbarreled handguns, and won't disrupt your vision. Reliable expansion and dependable terminal performance can be counted on for concealed carry/personal protection.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I use Hornady Critical Duty for my G22. Better performance post intermediate barrier (I'm in or around cars 16-18 hours a day). So make sure you tailor your defensive round choice for your lifestyle.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I use Hornady Critical Duty for my G22. Better performance post intermediate barrier (I'm in or around cars 16-18 hours a day). So make sure you tailor your defensive round choice for your lifestyle.

You should also probably watch this

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My Department issues Glock 22's and we use 165gr Gold Dots. I've never had a malfunction that was caused by the ammo and they've performed well when we've used them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I carry 180gr HSTs, they are consistently at or near the top of all loads for "on paper" ballistic performance, and are readily available in 50rd LEO packaging for reasonable prices. Being a heavy bullet on a moderate load they also have less flash, blast and recoil than mosr 40 loads, nothing like the blast and snappy recoil of hot 165gr loads. Another load I really like is the 165gr Gold dot 53949 load, only spec'ed at 1050fps it's one of the lightest loads in a modern premium brand, downside is they are hard to find. Where the 180gr HST feels about the same as a 147+p in 9mm, the Gold dot feels like a standard pressure, both exceed the ballistics of their 9mm counterparts by a fair margin without the "snappy" recoil and blast that 40 is known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom