• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    We went through this a short time back. MSP or the state's IT folks have changed the URL twice in possibly a month or so. It seems that they redesigned the MSP site and moved lots of stuff but did not have the old pages redirect the viewer to the new pages.

Lion

Dec 12, 2011
    Still Confused - Sauer 38H?

Hello. I'm new to the forum - have been lurking, but finally registered.

It's probably user-error, but I'm having a tough time nailing down specifics about handguns included on the roster. Sounds simple enough (just check the list!), but the online list seems really bizarrely organized, and I seem to come up with different results every time I look!

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if I can buy an old JP Sauer & Sons 38H, which is sort of the forefather of the more modern SIG P230 and P232. I'm looking at a few at online auctions, but obviously I won't bid if I can't own it here.

Any insight? Thanks much.

Ben

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I've gone to the MD st police web site and starting from the.top - no shortcuts - got to the following link for glocks

http://www.mdsp.org/Organization/Su...n/HandgunRoster/HandgunModels.aspx?manu=18055

It shows a G34 gen4 on the roster. Yet 2 gun shop owners have told me it is not an approved handgun.

Is the handgun roster not the list of approved guns?

The state gives the dealers a paper list with regular updates. Ask the dealers if they have the most recent list. You can also contact Marlene Jenkins, mjenkins@mdsp.org 410-653-4247. She is the lady in charge of the board and can tell you for sure if the gun is or isn't approved. Perhaps someone made an error?

What two shops?

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    The state gives the dealers a paper list with regular updates. Ask the dealers if they have the most recent list. You can also contact Marlene Jenkins, mjenkins@mdsp.org 410-653-4247. She is the lady in charge of the board and can tell you for sure if the gun is or isn't approved. Perhaps someone made an error?

What two shops?

Eh, just won't say. I did give the.link to one of.them because he seemed like a good guy and was helpful as he could be I think. The other guy was an @ss and I wouldn't give him the time of day.

BTW, if it is on the MSP handgun roster then that means its approved?

Also, thanks for the information re: the contact person.

Last edited:

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Eh, just won't say. I did give the.link to one of.them because he seemed like a good guy and was helpful as he could be I think. The other guy was an @ss and I wouldn't give him the time of day.

BTW, if it is on the MSP handgun roster then that means its approved?

Also, thanks for the information re: the contact person.

yes, if its on the list, its approved. I think that some dealers/distributors just don't stay up to date. i recently had a distributor tell me that Les Baer 1911s aren't approved. I just sent him a link to the MSP roster...waiting to hear his response.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    i recently had a distributor tell me that ....

What's the difference between a dealer and distributor? I've seen this especially in regards to glocks and the discount program. Distributor not only does retail sales but supplies other gunshops??

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What's the difference between a dealer and distributor? I've seen this especially in regards to glocks and the discount program. Distributor not only does retail sales but supplies other gunshops??

Not much. Both have to have at least an ATF 01 license. There is no ATF "distributors' license.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Apparently, some of the problem finding things on the Handgun Roster is that the people doing data input aren't doing a good job and/or aren't familiar with manufacturer's names, model numbers and nomenclature. They're being lazy and are getting incomplete or garbled data and no one's taking the time to do 'Net searches for information.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    From Ms Jenkins, at the handgun board.

The Glock 34 Gen 4 became legal for sale on 11/21/11 in Maryland (the dealer's hard copy of their Roster is from 7/1/11) and would not be noted on that.

Generally speaking, the website has the most up-to-date information on it as to approved regulated firearms.

Of course, any dealer is free to call me @ 410-653-4247 or the Licensing Division for any questions that come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom