• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have a sticky situation or maybe not sticky enough :)

I have been re fletching some arrows and am not satisfied with the glue I have been using (Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum). It holds up for a while but inevitably an edge will de bond from the arrow shaft and then the whole vane will come off. I notice that the factory glue (Carbon Force Bowmadness 300 arrows) I have to scrape off when re doing an arrow is a lot harder than my glue when I have to scrape that off for a redo.
    My big "BLOCK" target is the reason for my repairs as it is not that good at stopping my arrows. A straw bale behind it is helping.

Another area where I am having adhesive troubles are my inserts. I have used 5min epoxy and the glue mentioned above and they both fail on occasion, especially if I am pulling a practice broadhead out of the target.

What glues are you guys using?

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I have a sticky situation or maybe not sticky enough :)

I have been re fletching some arrows and am not satisfied with the glue I have been using (Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum). It holds up for a while but inevitably an edge will de bond from the arrow shaft and then the whole vane will come off. I notice that the factory glue (Carbon Force Bowmadness 300 arrows) I have to scrape off when re doing an arrow is a lot harder than my glue when I have to scrape that off for a redo.
    My big "BLOCK" target is the reason for my repairs as it is not that good at stopping my arrows. A straw bale behind it is helping.

Another area where I am having adhesive troubles are my inserts. I have used 5min epoxy and the glue mentioned above and they both fail on occasion, especially if I am pulling a practice broadhead out of the target.

What glues are you guys using?

The glue you are using is good stuff. Wipe the fletch end with acetone, then follow up with denatured alcohol. Never touch the shaft with your fingers after cleaning.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    The glue you are using is good stuff. Wipe the fletch end with acetone, then follow up with denatured alcohol. Never touch the shaft with your fingers after cleaning.

Thanks.
    I did the acetone thing but didn't follow up with alcohol. I'll try that.
    Any suggestions for the inserts?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I was having problems with that same adhesive. I didn't try the cleaninf techniques first.

Thanks V.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I also use gorilla glu for the inserts. I make sure to get the impact tough kind. Supposedly it can take that kind og abbuse better as it has some rubber or other magic in it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    do you guys index the broadheads or just put the insert in any which way? ive noticed when i put my broadhead in depending on which arrow i use the blades are turned one way or the other some may not be 180 or 90?

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I never pay attention to the broadhead. I have my arrows long enough that they dont touch my fingers, and any accuracy that may come from indexing them is beyond my abilities as a shooter.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I never pay attention to the broadhead. I have my arrows long enough that they dont touch my fingers, and any accuracy that may come from indexing them is beyond my abilities as a shooter.

I'm in the same boat. I might start picking those nits in a year or two from now!

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    If the vanes are hitting your foam block nothing will keep them on, try a high-speed bag target.Fletch- tite works ok -so does superglue gel you can buy at any home depot. Put a little dab of glue where the leading edge of the fletch meets the arrow-helps to keep it from starting to peel. I have always used hot glue on inserts, and when gluing knocks and broadheads on traditional cedar arrows-but thats a whole different ballgame.

fogman

The super glue based fletch adhesives leave a white residue but they do work. For the Fletch-tite platinum prep goes a long way to making a good bond. Like Possumman recommended, be sure to put a small blob of glue in front of the fletch where the fletch meets the shaft. It helps to keep the fletch from peeling off when the arrow over penetrates. I always use Fletch-tite to glue in inserts.

camotruck

Oct 22, 2011
    Western MD
    Did you get your problem taken care of ? I use fletch tight and a dab on the front of both feathers and plastic fletching, like others here . I also scuff the shaft with a scotch bright pad and ajax then clean in acitone. I used to just dry them with paper towles, but every little bit helps I guess.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Did you get your problem taken care of ? I use fletch tight and a dab on the front of both feathers and plastic fletching, like others here . I also scuff the shaft with a scotch bright pad and ajax then clean in acitone. I used to just dry them with paper towles, but every little bit helps I guess.

Yes I did. Thanks.

The preparation of the shaft was key, as well as my improvement in using my fletching jig.

I also have a straw bale behind my target so I have not been burring arrows up to the fletching as often :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom