• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Got SICK and TIRED of WAITING on the DSA list for Type II receivers and completely forgot that I was on another list for Century receivers from another guy and I got a random email that my name was up on the list. Sooo I jumped at the great deal on the Century, I got the price that I got on the list for instead of the new dealer price. Took the rifle over to John Rhines and in exchange for a brew and a dinner at a later date he helped me install the barrel in the receiver and now that I have it 99% complete he is going to help me headspace it. Just wanted to get pictures up of it and bask in the glory that is building something with your own 2 hands. Not bad for a $125 kit and $175 receiver and $90 in US parts. :party29:

morestuff039jn7.jpg

morestuff038jn9.jpg

morestuff037aw3.jpg

morestuff035au1.jpg

morestuff036ez6.jpg

On a side note, I need to invest in a Nice Quality safe soon because my rickety Dick's $99 special is overflowing and I want to better protect my investments.

Left to Right:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223
    Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308
    Ruger 10/22
    AR15 in 9mm
    AR15 in .223
    Marlin 983S
    Imbel kit on Century kit
    1939 91/30 Mosin Nagant
    Top Shelf: Glock 19, S&W 22A, CZ75 in 9mm
    Not in picture because its beside the bedside Mossberg 500

morestuff024iy5.jpg

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You built an FAL for $400? You're going to have to give me more details than that.

Oh, Very nice :thumbsup:

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    The hardest part was timing the barrel. Had to remove about .0004 from the shoulder of my barrel and then use a barrel vise to finish timing it. The only hard part about putting the rest of the rifle together was the spring for the mag catch flew across my cluttered basement and disappeared. I was about to buy one for $5 online until I had a brain fart and started breaking spare mechanical pens and seeing if the springs were compatible. I found that you can break a Bic #2 mechanical pencil and the spring inside is a perfect fit. The added bonus is that it maintains enough pressure to retain the magazine yet is light enough to enable a smooth release of the mag.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Very Nice,

I'm on the DSA list so my build will be next year....

What did you use for compliance parts?

Dave

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Best afternoon working on guns in a long time. Total time in was 4 hours to time barrel, did my friends at the same time so it should have only taken 2. Assembly time was around an hour following along with the AGI FAL Gunsmithing DVD including multiple pauses, rewinds, and 20 minutes of that time was spent searching for the damn mag catch spring and then Macgyvering up my own replacement part. As far as the compliant parts, I gathered those over a year and a half bit by bit as I could find and afford them.

Compliance Parts:

Hammer(polished while I was at it)
    Sear(polished while I was at it)
    Receiver
    Muzzle Device
    Floorplate
    Follower
    Handguards
    Buttstock

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Well the kit was at that price almost 2 years ago and the receiver I got in line for almost 1.5 years ago and just got it last month. Those prices are long gone unfortunately and you are looking at around 600-700 for everything including Compliance parts. I am kicking myself for not buying 3 IMBEL receivers when they were $120 last summer.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    *HITTING MYSELF ON THE DESK*

ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I guess I will just stick with the RUGER 10/22 stuff cuz everything is always going UP !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom