• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Tried to make it out on Sunday but the pond was frozen over still. Fast forward to today, I dip out of work early at around noon and head over to the pond. Only a small sliver of water was open but I figured I was here so I might as well get the lines wet. Nothing was biting on drop-shot or Float 'n Fly so I broke out the Ugly Stick ultra-light rod and Abu Garcia small spinning reel spooled with 4lb Berkley XT to try for some Crappie. Was throwing a small jighead with a Panfish Assassin 2.5 inch curly tail and got a few small to midsized crappie and then something SMASHED the lure about 15 feet from the shore and I start to fight it. It was a huge crappie that once I got a glimpse of it ran right to the bottom and then wrapped himself around an old dock piling and snapped me off. I was dissapointed but encouraged nonetheless as I knew things would be biting. In my haste to get out to fish I forgot all my other jigs and stuff so I tied on a pre-rigged Road Runner. Cast out a few times and landed a small 1lb bass which was fun on 4lb line and decided that I would call "last cast" and get out of there. No sooner does my line hit the water and I reel 2 times my Ultra-Light rod is bent in half and drag is peeling out. After a good 4 minute fight I lipped this bad girl and let out a shout that scared the Geese off the pond. 4lb3ounce Largemouth Bass on 4lb test with a Crappie lure on an ultra-light. I still have this goofy *** grin on my face and just wanted to show off. I hope everyone gets a chance to get out there and slay them soon and get that first big fish monkey off your back.

0224001338a.jpg

0224001341a.jpg

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    great job, I'm jealous. but if thats a 4 pounder then your hand is huge. just saying:innocent0
    how long was it

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    great job, I'm jealous. but if thats a 4 pounder then your hand is huge. just saying:innocent0
    how long was it

I am 6'2 and wear XL gloves so my hands are big :rasp: I had to weigh her twice to make sure, I didn't have my measuring tape with me so the scale has to do :) They grow big in my pond :)

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    must...resist...the...urge...to...fish...jerks!

Go ahead and do it. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for fishing in these conditions but I bought the Bass Pro game for 360 with the fishing rod controller and it just wasn't cutting it anymore. Besides, the weather was nice as hell today and should be decent Friday as well.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Well............ I know where I will be friday after work. :) Was talking with a guy at work yesterday about anything in the ponds hitting yet. Yellow perch will be running in early march. Thats always the "official" start to my fishing year.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    alas, I have no fishing gear at the moment. It currently resides in PA :( I probably spent a solid month on the shores of Havre de Grace just exploring and fishing at little public parks, I even caught 5 bass!

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I caught a white perch at Port Deposit too. I was just running a little white buzz bait in the current and that sucker hit hard. I've never fished MD waters so this is like alien territory for me, especially tidal areas.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    well done! I can't remember the last time i lipped a LMB. Do most of my fishing sitting in the sand, or on the Bay now.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Mil - surp - you wanna go canoe fishing on the Potomac..or Monacacy?
    Put in at Violets' lock for a fabulous fishing exercise on the Potomac... or Rte 28 bridge for the MD Muddy, the Mudocacy.... thru the Aquaduct into the Potomac.
    If you have never done Violets Lock' I recommend it highly. You can 'swim fish' it in summer, fishing pole in your mouth, you swim to some rocks and fish again... I think me likee you fishee.....

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Mil - surp - you wanna go canoe fishing on the Potomac..or Monacacy?
    Put in at Violets' lock for a fabulous fishing exercise on the Potomac... or Rte 28 bridge for the MD Muddy, the Mudocacy.... thru the Aquaduct into the Potomac.
    If you have never done Violets Lock' I recommend it highly. You can 'swim fish' it in summer, fishing pole in your mouth, you swim to some rocks and fish again... I think me likee you fishee.....

Hell yeah man, though I think we should wait for the melt waters to recede just a bit before main river canoeing anytime soon lol. Alternativley if you want to get some good pond fishing in here in MoCo drop me an IM and we can set something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom