• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Was out at my favorite local pond and threw out my normal 4 inch Senko on 3/0 wide gap hook. Got a few decent bass and then moved to my favorite spot. Proceeded to cast out and before the Senko even hit bottom I felt a THUMP and set the hook. Started peeling drag and the fight was on. I got her about 5 feet from shore when she jumped and all I saw was a flash of silver. I thought to myself....Silver, bass aren't silver.....Holy Crap its a Crappie!!!! Got her ashore and proceeded to almost crap myself at the size of her. My biggest Crappie before this was 9 inches and this one by my rough estimate was 14+ but I forgot to do girth. I was tempted to bring this one home with me but I am 100% catch and release so back into the water she went. I'm just glad my buddy was there with me to witness and photograph me.

Any guesses on weight? She fought like hell and based on previous bass I have weighed and felt, she felt like 2 almost 3 pounds but I could be wrong.

0901091752.jpg

0901091753.jpg

0901091754a.jpg

crappiemeasure.jpg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Nice Fish! I'd guess it to be about 1 3/4 #'s. I've got a 19"er on my wall from a local farm pond off Nursery rd. That fish was about 2 3/4#'s.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    They good eatin?

I find them to be OUTSTANDING when lightly battered with some Uncle Buck's beer batter.

That's a nice Crappie man! Way bigger than any Crappie I've ever caught.

You gotta' let me hit that pond with you one day. Today would be good. :innocent0

Glad you let him go. I catch and release 100% of the time in ponds, lakes and resevoirs, and probably 95% of the time on rivers depending on the species.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Nice catch man! That's one of the biggest pan fish I have ever seen! :thumbsup: for catch and release. I'm catch and release only too..... unless I'm trolling for tuna. Too tasty to throw back. :D

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    What this fish lacked in length compared to the 17 inchers I have seen online this one's girth went up the entire fish's body and it was a bit more than my 2 hands around. If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was a bass/crappie hybrid lol.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A fine looking fish. Kudos to you for the release, but they are good eating.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Yeah but this was 20+ years ago.

It was probably 15 years ago that we used to go there. There was a smaller pond way in the back of the woods closer to the train tracks that we used to wade into and catch tons of Largemouth.

Then I got attacked by a beaver one day and haven't been back since. :sad20:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I find them to be OUTSTANDING when lightly battered with some Uncle Buck's beer batter.

That's a nice Crappie man! Way bigger than any Crappie I've ever caught.

You gotta' let me hit that pond with you one day. Today would be good. :innocent0

Glad you let him go. I catch and release 100% of the time in ponds, lakes and resevoirs, and probably 95% of the time on rivers depending on the species.

I'm so so on fish BUT if Russ ever wants to throw a dolphin party count me in! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom