• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Has anyone posted this yet? If so admins please delete as duplicate.
    d3dcbe896a7da639f5a2d9489305796f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Has this been put into writing, or its this still just a rumor at this point? Because if its not in writing, I dont believe it. Although to be fair, some of the stuff MDSP puts on their website in writing is wholly made up and I dont believe either, lol.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Wow! Good information. I wonder if this is only for businesses that do large cash transactions?

Nope, nothing in rules about cash/check/amount. If I recall it was a certain amount of transactions (6) over a 3 month period of time.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    According to multiple sources, official MSP notice sometime today. I'll wait.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am cautiously optimistic, but also don't believe it until I see it. I also see this, if true, as being a good reason for a law suit by a non-business owner based on discrimination. I'm not sure how I feel about this and have many questions, one of which is why someone who owns a business is allowed and more capable to excercize this right than someone else.

I have always had very professional interaction with the MSP and the LD of the MSP, perhaps not the most efficient but always professional. That being said, how will the applicant be determined a business owner? Do they need an LLC, articles of incorporation? Many businesses are Sole Proprietor situation without those things, one of them created by the MSP themselves, the firearms instructor. So many questions.

Like I said, cautiously.......... I can see this being a step in the right direction by opening the door to challenges. Or I can see an elite group being created of individuals who can afford to own a business and are willing to disclose a great deal of information to prove it. I'd like to know why someone's business assets, which they can replace and do not carry around with them, are more "good and substantial" to protect than my wife and son.

Once the policy is in writing I plan on a call to MSP LD. I want to be sure to have the right accurate information for students. I'm sure that phone line will be busy.

TD

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm not sure how I feel about this and have many questions, one of which is why someone who owns a business is allowed and more capable to excercize this right than someone else.

Despite this good new development, the MSP is still operating on the state LEGISLATIVE premise that only people with higher than normal risk to their lives should be allowed to carry. That has morphed into the general understanding that people who own businesses take on more risk than people that don't. This is sometimes true, mostly NOT true, but it is the premise for the current policy. I agree that an enterprising plaintiff should be able to make the case that the entire premise is absurd and in fact unconstitutional. Such a case is, essentially, already under way. Please donate to MSI so they can keep the lights on and the printer printing filings!

how will the applicant be determined a business owner? Do they need an LLC, articles of incorporation? Many businesses are Sole Proprietor situation without those things, one of them created by the MSP themselves, the firearms instructor. So many questions.

No reason that both LLCs (and Incs) and sole proprietors can't show that they're legitimately running a business. Business checking account with activity, state paperwork showing a trade name, and - for many - a look at pieces of a tax return showing that the business's income flows to the applicant. Yes, it's a chore and an expense. But if you're actually doing business, getting that business in order (enough for the MSP) on paper should be simple enough.

Or I can see an elite group being created of individuals who can afford to own a business and are willing to disclose a great deal of information to prove it. I'd like to know why someone's business assets, which they can replace and do not carry around with them, are more "good and substantial" to protect than my wife and son.

That distinction already exists and is being challenged. BTW, the permits absolutely are NOT considered by the MSP to allow the business owner to protect their business assets. Only their lives. The theory is that people who run a business can be exposed to greater threats. While that may be true in the sense that some who tote around expensive equipment and cash or who engage in risky activities (like towing cars) are indeed magnets for criminal attention, it's a BS premise for limiting others' right to defend themselves. Again, the truth of that is slowly percolating through the courts.[/QUOTE]

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Despite this good new development, the MSP is still operating on the state LEGISLATIVE premise that only people with higher than normal risk to their lives should be allowed to carry. That has morphed into the general understanding that people who own businesses take on more risk than people that don't. This is sometimes true, mostly NOT true, but it is the premise for the current policy. I agree that an enterprising plaintiff should be able to make the case that the entire premise is absurd and in fact unconstitutional. Such a case is, essentially, already under way. Please donate to MSI so they can keep the lights on and the printer printing filings!

No reason that both LLCs (and Incs) and sole proprietors can't show that they're legitimately running a business. Business checking account with activity, state paperwork showing a trade name, and - for many - a look at pieces of a tax return showing that the business's income flows to the applicant. Yes, it's a chore and an expense. But if you're actually doing business, getting that business in order (enough for the MSP) on paper should be simple enough.

That distinction already exists and is being challenged. BTW, the permits absolutely are NOT considered by the MSP to allow the business owner to protect their business assets. Only their lives. The theory is that people who run a business can be exposed to greater threats. While that may be true in the sense that some who tote around expensive equipment and cash or who engage in risky activities (like towing cars) are indeed magnets for criminal attention, it's a BS premise for limiting others' right to defend themselves. Again, the truth of that is slowly percolating through the courts.

I agree, with my low prices and deals it feels like I’m getting robbed all the time ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Drifting into Poly Sci kinda stuff .:

Absolutist approach would be to equally oppose all schemes that don't provide at minimum Shall Issue with minimal regulatory burdens . A Right is a Right , a Right denied anyone is an equal affront to all .

Incremental approach would be that every increment of more people with Permits is a Good Thing . The more armed people around the State, with Blood NOT Flowing in the Streets , ever increasingly makes plain to the large chunk of people in the middle, that the Anti claims about the Evil Guns are not just untrue, but absurd , and should be further done away with .

This ( purported from multiple sources considered reliable , but still waiting for hard black and white upon dead trees ) development falls within the second catagory .

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    If this change comes to fruition, I will have to read up on the process more closely. I own and operate a franchise, so I have the business ownership covered. I get paid via 1099 and file as a sole proprietorship. Does anyone know if MSP contacts the franchisor/parent company?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Statement from a MSP spokesman from an article in The Daily Record by Bryan Sears.

Greg Shipley, a spokesman for the department, said the policy change went into effect late Monday and eliminates “the previous restriction imposed on handgun carry permits of ‘valid only while conducting business’ for those individuals who are business owners and have a valid carry permit.”

https://thedailyrecord.com/2019/08/06/md-handgun-permit-restrictions-for-business-owners-eased/?ep=1

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Baby steps indeed. Congratulations to those who now have their restrictions removed and kudos to those who pressed to make it happen.

Unfortunately we now have a state with “landed nobility”. Much like Europe in the Middle Ages. The business owners “Nobles” are allowed to exercise their rights while the “serfs” have the right denied.

I am in no way begrudging those who now have unrestricted permits, I am happy for them but this was only a quarter-measure taken by MSP

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    If this change comes to fruition, I will have to read up on the process more closely. I own and operate a franchise, so I have the business ownership covered. I get paid via 1099 and file as a sole proprietorship. Does anyone know if MSP contacts the franchisor/parent company?
    You will be fine. You own the franchise..

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I still think It will be interesting to see how they approach the definition of business owner in their eyes.

TD

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Baby steps indeed. Congratulations to those who now have their restrictions removed and kudos to those who pressed to make it happen.

Unfortunately we now have a state with “landed nobility”. Much like Europe in the Middle Ages. The business owners “Nobles” are allowed to exercise their rights while the “serfs” have the right denied.

I am in no way begrudging those who now have unrestricted permits, I am happy for them but this was only a quarter-measure taken by MSP

Rights gained back in the same manner the left is working to take them away, one bit at a time. Like boiling a frog. In this state, probably the best approach given the extreme bias against firearms owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom