• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Wife and I are up in the air about joining lifetime fitness. We have three kids and us two. Monthly rate is about 160 per month to use the fitness center. It seems like a good fitness center for the family. My wife tells me its better than paying 90 dollars per month for swimming lessons 1xper week for my middle, paying 120 for taek won doe classes per child 2X per week. That they have classes for him, and the oldest can swim and play basketball and other stuff there, and we can work out anytime of the day. they also have day care for my youngest and middle one, if I take them with me...blah blah blah.

Is anybody a member there? Obviously if you re a member, guessing its worth it. How does the 24 hour thing work? Is the indoor pool open to all during the day, or are there classes like YMCA, and can not be accessed during the certain times? Do they have a basketball league for the club, or is the basketball courts available all the time? How does their rock climbing wall operate?

I know, si many questions that can be answered with a tour, my wife went and loves it. I really dont want a tour by a SALESPERSON, who will hype it all up, just like he/she did with my wife. I am asking to be schooled about the center from others personal experiences of the club? My wife is about 99 percent sold, so probably joining soon, but wanted to know the ins and outs of the club, so i can get schooled a little before joining? thanks

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I'd lease a car for that kind of money. World gym only costs me about 175-200 a year.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    That's nearly $2000 per year. Think about that. I have a bench/squat rack in my basement with plates up too 345lbs. That was like $300. Buy a Gazelle eliptical and call it a day if you have the space. Plus, running outside or on public trails is always free.

If I had three kids, I'd be saving that cash for college.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    That's nearly $2000 per year. Think about that. I have a bench/squat rack in my basement with plates up too 345lbs. That was like $300. Buy a Gazelle eliptical and call it a day if you have the space. Plus, running outside or on public trails is always free.

If I had three kids, I'd be saving that cash for college.

Add a pull-up bar. Also a Weider "total gym" from Walmart for $136

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    it is only worth it if you will use it. will you squat, press and deadlift there? if yes, it is worth it. if no, stay home.

with that being said, many folks get motivated by spending money. so if this is your only exercise option, do it. sounds like the kids can come play too.

you are paying a normal amount of money for a decent gym that has a pool and qualified staff. Some gyms are in excess of 150 per person.

David1959

Jul 18, 2015
    If you live around Frederick, take a look at Soldierfit over by the golf course. They have MMA, kids club, a crossfit style gym, and a boatload of classes everyday. Plus a groupon deal for $39. I've built up to 3X a week and it gives me everything I can handle. All body types in the class. Prob give you a military discount too.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    If it has a pool and classes, etc. that you will use its a bargain. If not, get a squat rack for your home or find a more basic gym.

I go to Colosseum Gym in Columbia, it's the **** but there is no pool or frilly crap. They do have chalk.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Buying a proper home gym was the best thing we ever did.

My issue with going to the gym is the time it takes to drive there. Once you get there trying not to talk to anyone, waiting for the equipment you want to use, changing up your routine because you don't feel like waiting, driving home.

Gym for me is 1 hour at best with 10 minutes of drive time. 90+ at worst.

Home gym is 30 minutes if I'm pumped and in the zone 45 if not. And I get a better work out.

Only down side is moving. We just moved and it was fun breaking it down and moving all the plates. But no regrets I cannot wait to get it back up and finally have some time to get back into working out. Kid #2 killed it for me but we are finally getting to a point where it is panning out again.

My wife loves it. She bitches daily about wanting to work out. Even better she doesn't have to worry about all the men talking to her and interrupting her. Well, outside of me ;)

Cost of entry is going to be around $2000-2500 to do it right. Which has, for us, paid for itself over and over again vs a gym membership.

Rangeman

Mar 1, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    I was a member at the gym for over 30 years. The wife too was a member but never went. About 6 mos. back, I started the Home Gym. We already had the treadmill (bought used) I bought a bench, some dumb-bells, a pull-up bar, a spin bike, and a weider total gym. Also, put on the wall 3 posters. Two of dumb-bell exercises, and one that pictures exercises for the total gym. The TV is there so I can watch the news. Or stereo for music if choose.
    You would be surprised of all the things you can do with dumb-bells, and the total gym is a good supplement!
    Wife uses it on a regular basis too :)

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Yup a bench and some Dumbbells goes a long way.

But if he's willing to commit to $2k+ a year he should look into smith machines or cages with a legit bench.

What's nice with legit workout equipment is believe it or not they hold their value. It's the stupid cheap gyms that can't be given away.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    If your wife is 99% sold then you have your answer.

Wife took us to the place, and I thought it was going to be a tour, but it was to get the picture taken for the membership. She already signed us up. 160 a month, and a 85 registration fee. But we get 200 bucks in club money. Its like a huge LA fitness, with a indoor pool. Looked clean and lots of equipment. Lots of classes...

Parking lot was full, but the club was half empty. Maybe they were there for a fitness class...

Yeah, if it was up to me, I would of got bowflex or something in the garage. I guess my chin up/dip station and stationary bike is going to just collect dust now...We ll see how it goes.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    I belong to the one in Potomac.

Open 24 hrs (go at 4:30-5 am)

5 mins fom my house.

Wife loves the classes.

That is what I pay for.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    So, you, your wife and THREE (5 people) kids can use everything they can get for 175-200 a year?

no but I am allowed up to two guests for each visit, so me and the wife can go together. My daughter is too young to use a gym. It works for us as i mostly use the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom