• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Last night while having dinner with friends, the husband mentioned that he was looking to pass on his 22LR rifle to someone who would give it a good home. (They have no kids, and are mid- 70's.) Of course, I volunteered that I had just the home, and he brought out an old Winchester 52 and asked how much I'd give him for it. I've only seen a few of these over the years, and couldn't hazard a guess.

In the near darkness on the deck, I didn't get to read the exact model number, so I'm shooting in the dark somewhat until Friday, when we're going to the range to play. It does have a bull barrel, and peep sights. No noticeable rust, bore looks good, front sight is good, rear Williams sight is missing the peep hole (not a big deal I think). Did not have the original leather sling, but he thinks he has that stashed somewhere. Big issue is the stock is busted. Right under the bolt. Not all the way through, but pretty bad. (He told the long story - short answer is don't loan your guns to friends...) Does not look like the accident bent the barrel, but I want to check that more closely on Friday.

My quandary is what is a fair price to offer him for the gun? Having done a lot of antique furniture repair (the kind you sit on) over the years, I am 50-50 that I can repair this stock (there is a lot of splintering in the break). Will never look new, but would certainly be a lot better than now, and fully functional. I could always watch the known sites for a replacement stock. I saw a stock listed for $450 on one site this morning...

I thought I'd post this and ask for opinions and advice from the experts here. Yes, I do want the gun, if nothing else as a nice project for next winter. I also want to offer a fair price.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    One of the most accurate 22 target rifles ever made, value depends on the model with C's, D's and E's bringing the most money although a high original condition A or B will bring a grand or more.
    The sights alone if Redfield's can bring 200 to 400 depending on model. Original 5 round mags go for 50 and an original single shot adaptor can bring a 100 or more.
    Needing stock repair or replace brings value down, without knowing the model or condition of the rest of gun I would hazard a guess that somewhere in the 600 to 700 range as a good shooter.
    This is my 52B and a 100 yard target.
    IMG_2036_zps32c81ec5.jpg

IMG_2053_zpsd5194a59.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Is that an original Unertl scope? Nice!

OP
    The missing aperture is easy to replace you can buy direct from Williams but do yourself a favor and buy a Merit adjustable aperture instead. It has an adjustable iris that lets you dial in the best aperture for the light conditions.
    http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

There is an active market for 52's and any sale site i.e. Gunbroker will have them listed but the prices very greatly depending on the specifics of the gun. They were made from the 1920's until 1980 and a total of 125,419 were produced. They seldom wear out and if taken care of will last generations. The broken stock will effect the value quite a bit and the Williams sight may or may not be factory, Redfields were most common but other sights could be ordered.

The only guidance I can give on price is I bought one used with, heavy barrel, Redfield sights, Merit aperture, several magazines, hard case and miscellaneous accessories for my son about 40 years ago for $600. He is using it to teach his sons.

Wickipedia has a good write up of their history and the different models.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_52

Jul 1, 2012
    The other thing to look for is a crack where the safety lever is on the left back of receiver.
    The "pre-A" and A ** were thin there and tended to crack. It shouldn't affect shootability as the main lug is on the right side of bolt, but it does affect value.

I have 3 pre-A's and 2 have the crack, one's very noticable and the other is just a hairline that looks like somebody tried to repair.

I believe they redesigned / beefed up this area starting with the Model B but not sure.

I'd venture to say the original "Winchester 1919" marked mags are more than $50 if you can even find one.

** ("pre-A" would be a S/N with no letter, "A" would have an A in the S/N, etc etc).

BTW - there was a guy on evilBay that was selling nice repro stocks for pretty reasonable a year or so ago, he may still be making them...
    Might be a decent alternative for a shooter, you could tweak and bed it etc etc. to your hearts content without worrying about originality, and look for a good used one in the meantime.

With the badly busted stock and missing part(s) I think I'd be more in the $400 range but you really can't go wrong with one of these unless something is majorly mechanically gooned.

Attachments

• crack1.JPG
      crack1.JPG
      56.2 KB · Views: 827
    • crack2.JPG
      crack2.JPG
      50.4 KB · Views: 708

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    oooh, dat's nice.
    I've been looking for a decent A5 scope for mine that I could actually afford, so far all are 2x what I paid for the rifles :)

Thanks, thats a Lyman 20X Super Targetspot, that one ran me 650.00 with it's original wood box. I love the vintage long tube scopes, the adjustments are very precise. I have a couple more Lyman's and a few Unertl's.
    You are right about the cracks on the A's and pre A's, Winchester fixed this by moving the safety on the B's and later rifles. One way to prevent an A from cracking is don't use the safety.
    I love the vintage American target rifles and consider the Winchester 52 series to be the cream of the crop although a Remington 37, 40X or 40XB are mighty fine rifles.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Check carefully for bull barrel or heavy barrel. Lots of folks think the heavy barrel is a bull. Both are .870 at the muzzle, but the bull is about 1.2 at the breach end, while the heavy is only about 1.0. I've got a '49 vintage B heavy barrel, but my dad always told me it was a bull.

Check to see if there are any extra drilledband tapped holes. The barrel should be drilled and tapped, but not the receiver.

Good luck with it, hope the stock is repairable. If you look for a replacement, try and find the correct style for the vintage of the gun. Winchester changed stock designs and had various options during the 52 production.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 HD using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What is the letter after the 52?

If it has a scope like Augie's its value goes way up

One of the most coveted target .22's made in the US

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    We had a great morning at the range today! We were the only ones there, so we took it slow and did a lot of fun shooting... I've got egg on my face - it turns out he was mistaken about the gun - it's not a Win 52, it's a Win 75 (I didn't look at the barrel markings in the bad light the other evening), and after all the fun we had, he's not interested in selling at this time. He's already found replacement part for his Williams sight, and is looking hard for a new stock. This 75 is a nice shooter, I managed a 1.5" group of 5 rounds at 100 yards. He did a 3" group which is pretty good for not having shot in 22 years... Even with the busted stock.

I appreciate all your input. Since I didn't know much about either gun prior to last weekend, this has been a good exercise for me, and now I'm on the lookout for a 52 of my own...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Glad you had fun, those vintage rifles even though they are old will still get the job done.
    The 75 is one step down from the 52, 52 will be a better shooter and have a better trigger.
    This is my 1941 Model 75 with a Unertl.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
      IMG_2278.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 508

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    The 75 is a nice gun also. Not quite on a par with the 52, but still lots of fun. I've got a 52B and a 75. I would also like to replace the stock on my 75 as it was cut down for a kids rifle club back many years ago. I did most of my NRA 4 position badges with that 75 back in the '60s before my dad got the 52. You guys have fun with it. I've seen 75 stocks on ebay from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom