• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    41 Firearms Discovered (Confiscated) by TSA Last Week – Of the 41 firearms, 34 were loaded and 10 had rounds chambered. http://blog.tsa.gov/

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly forgetful and/or stupid some people can be. I never liked TSA and their policies, but as long as people keep doing this sort of thing, we won't get rid of them. These irresponsible folks are certainly NOT helping our cause. At least it cost them a good gun.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    In normal states, those without BGOS...it happens.

41 firearms last week.. how many passengers? How many flights.

Yup its a crisis... lets double the staff.. let's forget all about the border and redirect everyone to security theater...

We are being played..

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'm so paranoid about this happening that I keep a "fly-only" briefcase. That one never gets any kind of weapon put in it..... and I still go through it before I fly.
    It would be easy for me to travel with a bag that had ammo stuck in it somewhere. I don't think I would fail to notice the Samurai sword tho'

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    41 Firearms Discovered (Confiscated) by TSA Last Week – Of the 41 firearms, 34 were loaded and 10 had rounds chambered. http://blog.tsa.gov/

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly forgetful and/or stupid some people can be. I never liked TSA and their policies, but as long as people keep doing this sort of thing, we won't get rid of them. These irresponsible folks are certainly NOT helping our cause. At least it cost them a good gun.

TSA does not confiscate. The local Law Enforcement agency does. You had it right the first time with "discovered".

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In normal states, those without BGOS...it happens.

41 firearms last week.. how many passengers? How many flights.

Yup its a crisis... lets double the staff.. let's forget all about the border and redirect everyone to security theater...

We are being played..

Why do you fail to mention the stupidity of those having the firearms?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Why do you fail to mention the stupidity of those having the firearms?

Its been done several times. .. now ask what if we red team TSA? Or more precisely what if we released the results.

Finding a gun that's not deliberately hidden is not a success.

Leave aside the stupidity.. its not a reason for TSA to Crow.

Also crimes should require bad intent... esp felonies..

But that's another matter.

We all know TSA is a joke.. but we do nothing to demand improvment..

Good thing there are so many easier targets.. we are safer on aircraft than at the mall.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Makes you wonder how many people got on planes while carrying prior to 9/11?

Did not seem to be a problem then.

sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    TSA shakedown

i travel a fair amount and have traveled a fair amount with firearms as well. Depending on the airport, I have seen a lot of ignorance of the procedures. From what types of locks can be used, to placement of the unloaded firearm declaration card, etc. Even had my checked luggage with firearm lost that was recovered later that day but was surely an uncomfortable situation.

The worst experience I ever had was when returning from SHOT, I had in my carry-on bag a Geissele trigger for an AR15. For those unfamiliar, this consists of a couple pieces of metal and a spring. Granted, the rules state no firearm parts are allowed in carry-on bags (so I learned). It was a big deal, detained, formal background check, signed form and later received a formal letter in the mail. Was told that I could have been fined thousands of dollars for this offense but did not actually get fined anything and was entirely cooperative during the event. Lucky that i did not miss my flight as I was there plenty early.

I have also in the past had dummy rounds with no primer in them, which was not well received as the knowledge level of the person finding them had no idea what a primer was or why this would be safe/unsafe. I'm more careful to not have any of these things in my carry-on bag anymore and just check the bag regardless of size if there is anything questionable. Just not worth the hassle.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    I was once horrified to discover that I had gotten on a plane with a full 9mm magazine in my carry on (it was pre-9/11, for whatever that's worth).

They can't catch everything, and no one is perfect. I do now completely empty all my bags of prohibited items before packing.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    In America a percentage of the population is always armed/ equiped with firearms related paraphanalia. A small fraction of 1% will have a brain fart when rushing to the airport. In the PRM , we think of always being figurativly naked, and only temporarily equiped for a specific special occasion. In America the process is the reverse.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Not necessarily, the new law in GA says if you have a permit they have to give you your gun back and you are allowed to go secure it, no charges, no fine.

Sounds like a good law to me.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ahh, the want for the days before hijacking airplanes, like when my dad picked up the Win 52 at a pawn shop in Houston, and carried it home to NJ on the airplane, just slung the rifle case over his shoulder and walked on the airplane. Must have been about 1964.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not necessarily, the new law in GA says if you have a permit they have to give you your gun back and you are allowed to go secure it, no charges, no fine.

Sounds like a good law to me.
    Ahhhh. That's not a law. The law makes it legal to be in possession of a firearm in the unsecured side of an airport.
    If you have a pistol artfully concealed trying to go through security, good luck sparky.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Ahhhh. That's not a law. The law makes it legal to be in possession of a firearm in the unsecured side of an airport.
    If you have a pistol artfully concealed trying to go through security, good luck sparky.

Nope. It was a big thing that GA GCO pushed.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/airport-prepares-for-new-gun-law/ngS6g/

"Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is preparing for the state’s new, much-discussed gun law to take effect July 1. It will mean gun owners with concealed carry licenses will not be arrested at the security checkpoint if caught with a gun."

"Currently, those caught with guns at security checkpoints are arrested and taken to the Clayton County jail.
    But under the new law...."

http://www.accg.org/library/HB 60 - Spahos HANDOUT (color).pdf

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nope. It was a big thing that GA GCO pushed.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/airport-prepares-for-new-gun-law/ngS6g/

"Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is preparing for the state’s new, much-discussed gun law to take effect July 1. It will mean gun owners with concealed carry licenses will not be arrested at the security checkpoint if caught with a gun."

"Currently, those caught with guns at security checkpoints are arrested and taken to the Clayton County jail.
    But under the new law...."

http://www.accg.org/library/HB 60 - Spahos HANDOUT (color).pdf
    Let me tell you what, if you have a pistol artfully concealed, meaning trying to elude detection, you're not going to be offered a free pass because of a permit.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Let me tell you what, if you have a pistol artfully concealed, meaning trying to elude detection, you're not going to be offered a free pass because of a permit.

No one is talking about trying to elude detection, they are talking about guns left in a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom