• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    To those who feel all Maryland shows suck,

Hi. I'm a Maryland gun owner.

I believe that all Maryland gun owners should have access to quality firearms, parts, and accessories... both at their local retailer, as well as at the occasional regional Gun Show (where, hopefully, bargains can be had on good stuff).

Sadly, because we live in a state where firearms laws create a negative environment for us, we end up seeing dealers unwilling to come here, if only because they would have to leave a huge portion of their inventory on the other side of the state line.

As a result, some people simply stop attending the shows, and purchase out-of-state. This satisfies the buyer, no doubt, since they can have what they want. It also satisfies the seller, since they can move their wares without having to bother going anywhere to sell it.

There's a problem with this, though...

When people say, "Screw it, I'm getting what I want, regardless," they are missing the bigger picture.

Would it not be better, long-term, to encourage the vendors to come to Maryland to sell, and provide a mutually beneficial service?

Of course it would, but there is a huge problem.

You see, there is still the matter of Maryland law. Law that has developed over the years to encumber the average Citizens' Second Amendment Rights and placing the Government in a position of near-totalitarian power, to the point of strangulation. And all without a shot being fired.

How could this be? It's simple.

Many Maryland gun owners don't care, by and large, about anything beyond their own shotgun rack, or reloading bench, or nightstand drawer. They don't concern themselves with the larger picture... where someone else's rights are being whittled away and the things they have in their home are set up for restriction.

There is an answer, though. There is a way to bring back the 'satisfactory' Gun Show.

Step up. Show up. Speak up. Make yourselves known to your Legislators, and remind them that you are bothered by the continual erosion of your Rights. Let them know that you care about ALL Marylanders, and that you will be willing to hold them accountable.

If that happens, and laws are changed, I can assure you that there will be an improvement in the overall situation. It won't be immediate by any means, and it will not be easy. It will also be necessary to continue encouraging and supporting the regional shows, and giving them the hope and means to attract quality vendors.

Should we fail to take a stand, I can guarantee that we will have no Rights, regardless of what we want, or where we might buy it.

It's your State too. What about it??

Sincerely,

A fellow Maryland Gun owner

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Interesting perspective, and not wrong on that if participants in MD gunshows dont do adequate commerce to justify their time and fee investment there will be no shows or they will just convert to dried meat expositions.

I still go to Frederick and Howard every once in a while when I have time, some interesting old timer stuff pops up.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I maintain my opinion of MD shows. If you want to buy the latest tactical garbage that's in the fashionable tactical magazines then stay the F home order from the Internet whack off and bitch about how MD shows are garbage.

IF however you know what the F to look for you can find several good steals.

I saw:

Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 with Bushnell scope for $375. Great deer gun, or all around truck gun for general use.
    Sporterized 1903A3 in .308 that was a nice conversion and had a free floated barrel for $350. With rings and bases.
    Several pre-64 Winchesters in bolt and lever configurations for under $600
    A 30-06 Remington 700 variant with iron sights and a medium weight barrel with a Redfield scope for $450ish.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Point taken. It was nice to met you in person while working a very small MD gun show. I do see your point that we really do need to support the entire MD gun culture and local vendors/shows as a survival priority.
    I do have a follow up question and comment. What do vendors such as Precision Firearms who took a strong stance and chose to move out of state due to these laws want to do with "the MD situation"?
    My comment comes from when I got the chance to travel about the country this holiday season and saw how prices are outside of the mid-atlantic area. The show I attended in the southern part of the country had very market competitive prices on ammo and standard cap. mags. From my own experiences and from MDS threads, I believe the vendors at MD, PA, VA shows consider the new laws heavily when setting their product prices. That is not a very congenial practice when, as a group, we are trying to get this subculture to survive in Maryland.

I dare say that, if the consistency of volume was there (and if people behaved like consumers instead of spenders), that would change.

With a few exceptions (Shooter's Discount comes to mind) the opposite is true.
    I agree with a previous poster that a high percentage of vendors actually increase their prices at MD gun shows. The only reason I still attend MD shows is to look for oddball stuff from the small vendors and see what Lou has.
    It has gotten to the point where I rarely even look at firearms or ammunition from sellers which focus on those products. Why, one may ask? I feel insulted that not only do we pay an admission, but we also pay a premium on products because the vendors are passing on their table/hotel/travel fees to the buyers.

Mr H

Banana'd
    With a few exceptions (Shooter's Discount comes to mind) the opposite is true.
    I agree with a previous poster that a high percentage of vendors actually increase their prices at MD gun shows. The only reason I still attend MD shows is to look for oddball stuff from the small vendors and see what Lou has.
    It has gotten to the point where I rarely even look at firearms or ammunition from sellers which focus on those products. Why, one may ask? I feel insulted that not only do we pay an admission, but we also pay a premium on products because the vendors are passing on their table/hotel/travel fees to the buyers.

I'll answer you first, as you bring up a point that angrivates me to no end.

Anyone who seeks to purchase anything, and decides the cost for said 'whatever;' is too high, has options.

Buy it now
    Buy it elsewhere
    Don't bother
    Negotiate

I would dare say that the numbers for those options would blow minds. If I had to guess??

Buy it now 65%
    Buy it elsewhere 20%
    Don't bother 10%
    Negotiate 5%

We have become a Nation of sheeple and, FTMP, accept what "those in authority" tell us.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I agree with supporting the local dealers and shows, however, some dealers need to stop adding 30-50% onto items that are being sold at said shows.

Not to mention the show promoters charging the same admission regardless of show size. I don't mind $7-8 for a show like York, Harrisburg, or Chantilly. But I'm not paying that for a tiny show like most of the ones around here. $5 tops for a small show.

And on the topic of dealers, most not only mark up, but won't negotiate.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I do have a follow up question and comment. What do vendors such as Precision Firearms who took a strong stance and chose to move out of state due to these laws want to do with "the MD situation"?

Precision is an interesting one...

I don't know them at all, but my impression is that, because of their market presence and custom reputation, they are more than willing to adapt on the fly, and provide the things that desperate people feel they need.

Nothing wrong with that. Markets rule.

As for their moving out of state?

I will be the very last person telling anyone not to do anything they feel is in their best interests, if they have truly considered their options.

Precision has a niche position based on a combination of history and service.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Personally, one can support the LGS by going to their shops. Just because it's a Maryland show doesn't mean the vendors are all local.

It's business. Businesses aren't going to do anything that's not in their best interest and neither should a consumer. If the quality of the local shows are such that they are not in our best interest, we should feel free to go somewhere that is. The local shows can then improve and earn our business back or continue to fade away. If people go just to be 'loyal' to a local show, there will be no incentive to improve and hence there will be no improvement.

So, instead of an open letter to 'some of us' to encourage vendors to come to Maryland shows, I would have focused the letter towards the businesses and vendors, to encourage US customers; give US reasons to come to Maryland shows regularly. Businesses should be seeking our dollars, we shouldn't be pressured into seeking distorted ways to give them our dollars.

That's how business in America works.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    There have been so many people that have asked why I would want to start a firearms company in Maryland. My response is always, "Because I can, and this is where I live." When dealers and manufacturer just say screw it and move out of state, that tells me they want to take the easy road and move to Virginia instead of stand and fight. If I had the money, and one day I will, you'll be certain that my company will be a major financial contributor of a political campaign. That way, they will owe ME when the time comes and things will be done right.

Since we're on the topic of gun shows and dealers, I'm not trying to plug myself or my company, but we plan on hitting the gun show market pretty hard in the very near future. Just wait to see what a non-price gouging vendor can do for the economy. From jobs to paying taxes, we're going to make an impact. We've already researched the prices at gun shows, and we can fall sometimes hundreds of dollars well below other vendors and still turn a profit.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Since we're on the topic of gun shows and dealers, I'm not trying to plug myself or my company, but we plan on hitting the gun show market pretty hard in the very near future. Just wait to see what a non-price gouging vendor can do for the economy. From jobs to paying taxes, we're going to make an impact. We've already researched the prices at gun shows, and we can fall sometimes hundreds of dollars well below other vendors and still turn a profit.

That is the biggest problem with gun shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom