• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I bought a timer to plug my tumbler into, but the packaging warns not to plug into an extension cord. I was going to tumble in the shed because of the lead. The outlet is outside so no go plugging into that. I have a good extension cord I use for my drill. Am I ok to run this setup or should I rethink it and forget the timer?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Why do you need a timer? Why can't you tumble when you are able to turn it off in a certain amount of time?

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Was going to set it tonight before bed. I don't normally have 2 hours or more of reloading time. I saw in another thread that someone uses a timer and thought that was a good idea.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    So I bought a timer to plug my tumbler into, but the packaging warns not to plug into an extension cord. I was going to tumble in the shed because of the lead. The outlet is outside so no go plugging into that. I have a good extension cord I use for my drill. Am I ok to run this setup or should I rethink it and forget the timer?

Check the power draw of your tumbler. It might be that most extention cords can't handle the power transfer and will overheat, hence the recommendation to not use one. My vacuum cleaner's power cord (the STOCK cord) heats up after moderate use.

A timer is a very good idea if you can get one.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    The tumbler is an rcbs vibratory case tumbler. It says on it that it pulls 0.78 amps (or 0.73 can't remember). I think with the timer rated at 15 amps and a heavy extension cord it should be ok. I think they just don't want people plugging it into a flimsy indoor extension cord. Just want to double check I'm not being stupid. The timer is a dual outlet one.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I know it doesn't really answer your question but they do make outdoor timers.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For myself , I would feel confident doing so with a cord of sufficient rating.

While it seems a worthwhile idea , I haven't gotten around to doing so. On those occasions I forgot or fell asleep , I just had a batch of really shiny brass.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) A GOOD extension cord.

2) An extension cord with a ground (3 prong plug and socket).

I think they are afraid of someone using a cheap 2 wire cord and getting shocked.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    1) A GOOD extension cord. 2) An extension cord with a ground (3 prong plug and socket). I think they are afraid of someone using a cheap 2 wire cord and getting shocked.

Both conditions met. That's what I was thinking about the two prong.

Use heavy outdoor extortion cord and you should be ok

My thoughts too.

I guess I shall give it a try in the next couple days.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Monitor it the first time using, if no problem then you are fine. As long as it is a good cord you should be okay. I seen no difference in running 12 gauge wire and a box vs. running a 12 gauge extension cord.

Vic

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    For myself , I would feel confident doing so with a cord of sufficient rating.

While it seems a worthwhile idea , I haven't gotten around to doing so. On those occasions I forgot or fell asleep , I just had a batch of really shiny brass.

I agree on both counts, though I know I've reduced the life of my medium from repeatedly doing this...

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Instant fix - Bring the tumbler into the house and set it up.

No worries about lead from the tumbler.
    I've been tumbling brass weekly, since 1982 and it hasn't affected me, yet...... yet...... yet.......

Only small memory lapses.

:innocent0

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Instant fix - Bring the tumbler into the house and set it up. No worries about lead from the tumbler. I've been tumbling brass weekly, since 1982 and it hasn't affected me, yet...... yet...... yet....... Only small memory lapses. :innocent0

Not worried about me, but my 21 month old. My bench is in the basement separated from his play area by a gate. I haven't really been tumbling due to this so I figured the timer would help me out.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Not worried about me, but my 21 month old. My bench is in the basement separated from his play area by a gate. I haven't really been tumbling due to this so I figured the timer would help me out.

I kinda figured that there was a little one involved.

My sick sense of humor over-rode any common sense that I once had.
    I mean, I even rode a bicycle, as a kid..... without wearing a helmet!!

:)

All kidding aside, though, I've been loading/tumbling/reloading with babies/toddlers in the house, since day 1.
    The lead aspect is so small, I THINK it's a non-issue. (Read as I've never paid attention to any studies on reloading near babies.)

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    What is the problem with tumbling brass for prolonged periods of time? Just wear on the tumbler/media?

I've forgot I was tumbling a few times and ended up letting the brass go over night or longer, but nothing seems to be worse for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom