• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Like the title says... Anyone reload 16Ga 2-9/16" shells? I have not yet gotten into reloading myself so I usually buy these online, but I would like to get some slugs and I can't find them at all, except for some vintage stuff on GB.

Wondering if anyone here is set up for reloading the short hull 16ga and would be willing to make me some slugs (no more than 50 rounds). If interested let me know how much it will cost.

For what it's worth these are for a 1922 Winchester M12 in beautiful condition.
    Thanks,
    -Joe

00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    Most reloaders will decline due to liability issues.

While I do not reload 16GA, I do reload 12GA. Since you are not talking volume and you mentioned slugs, I suggest the Lee Classic Loader Kit in 16GA. Unfortunately this is probably only available off Ebay since Lee discontinued it in 16GA. (boo) Another suggestion would be the Lee Load All in 16GA. Both can be had for less than $50 ea. The cost of poker goes up after these options.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    00-Guy,
    Yea, I figured there would be hesitation due to liability issues. I just though I'd ask anyway. I actually have a Lee loader in 16ga I got on Epay about a year ago and never ended up trying it out. Mine is not labeled "classic" although I suspect at the time it was made it was the current version and not classic. The reason I never fooled with it is that my shells need to be 2-9/16 or shorter and my reloading set says "16Ga 2-3/4". I fooled around with it a little last night and realized it really doesn't matter especially since I want to roll crimp and not fold. I'll will order the components and some tooling from BP and make my own. Thank you for helping me remember that I have the Lee loader :innocent0

Regards,
    -Joe

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    What kind of choke is on that Model 12? I'd expect it to have a full choke, so you wouldn't want slugs through it anyway. I would advise against shooting slugs through something that nice, even if it does happen to have a cyl bore; you'd be better off picking up an 870 or Mossberg 500 in slug configuration and shooting slugs though that.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    You might be able to buy some European slugs in that length, but first, I would measure the chamber length of the gun. A lot of those guns have had the chambers opened to 2 3/4".

Another thing to consider is that a chamber length is the same length as the shell when it's fully opened up. I would therefore measure a fully opened 2 3/4" slug. Since slugs are roll crimped and that usually equates to a shorter hull to begin with, you might be OK with roll crimped shells (but not with folded crimps).

Back to the short chamber... it would be no big deal to cut that chamber to 2 /3/4".

Foster slugs, or Brenneke slugs can be shot out of any choke constriction, as they are designed to collapse a bit to conform to the choke. That said, they usually perform better in something like a Skeet or IC choke.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    For additional information on the 16ga, go to 16ga.com. That'll give you information overload, but they can answer just about anything you want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom