Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So I pulled some stuff out to look
    Carbine at the top has a 15” sight radius
    Mid length is 2 in more so that would be 17”
    Rifle gives me 19 3/4”
    I don’t have a clamp on but my SBR has front sight on the full length hand guard and it’s just at 15 1/4”. If I had a clamp on or maybe something sticking up fixed at the edge of that handguard I could probably get that to 16”

034ea1ee08e781ec9ad2d7fe16be5b3d.jpg

Don’t mock that SBR setup, the scope and rear sight placement is just temporarily till I figure out some reloads for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you're wed to the classic handguard and the non-floated FSB you could always go for a dissipator...

I think the OP was trying to keep it light and not go HBAR. I can understand that.
    I have a rifle length gas 16" barrel dissipator from Delton which was my first HBAR. It came with a light spring and you really gotta use it. Shooting that longer sight radius really helps but the weight when shooting offhand is noticeable (i'm not a big guy) compared to that light M4 profile carbine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes - but the BCM offering I cited is actually a mid length. Even so, the Colt in carbine length is still well worth considering.

You go mid length on a 14.5 and you'll probably have to keep it over gassed to shoot a lot of hand loads/commercial ammo. Not a lot of dwell time there...

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My 10.5 pistol built to match my rifle.

Attachments

• 8C19B106-F120-4B07-86FF-738CF89BB94D.jpg
      8C19B106-F120-4B07-86FF-738CF89BB94D.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 209

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You go mid length on a 14.5 and you'll probably have to keep it over gassed to shoot a lot of hand loads/commercial ammo. Not a lot of dwell time there...

A lot of great feedback here. I am leaning towards just getting a Colt barrel with a sight tower already attached and then building it out myself. I know AR pistols are less money and paperwork, but then I don't have to worry whether or not I can shoulder it (ATF policy of the month), no issues with a vertical grip, etc. Still mulling it all over.

OBTW Ammo Jon; nice build!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    FWIW your OAL will be fine for pistol grip with a 14.5" barrel on a an AR pistol. I have an SBA3 brace specifically for the purpose of making all my future SBRs into pistols first. So that I can use them while waiting for ATF approval and so later I can run them in whichever configuration makes sense for what I am doing/where I am. Though I suppose at this point you could just announce out loud "THIS IS AN AR PISTOL" after you put the buffer tube on but before you put a rifle stock on, and you would have accomplished a similar feat. (being tongue in cheek here)

At any rate I prefer SBRs to pistols myself, and understand why you'd want to do it. Plus no need to pin and weld, which is nice. I am doing a 12.5" build with a dedicated short suppressor (YHM turbo K). I could have picked a more pin and weld friendly suppressor for the project and made it a one stamp gun, but I'm building it how I want and am happy with it the way it is.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    They are clearly using an older MSP opinion that anything that doesn't have the M203 cut is good to go as being an HBAR. I don't think that one is considered valid anymore.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They are clearly using an older MSP opinion that anything that doesn't have the M203 cut is good to go as being an HBAR. I don't think that one is considered valid anymore.

I would not want to be the test case.

But calling an original AR barrel legal is setting someone up to BE that test case.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    A lot of great feedback here. I am leaning towards just getting a Colt barrel with a sight tower already attached and then building it out myself. I know AR pistols are less money and paperwork, but then I don't have to worry whether or not I can shoulder it (ATF policy of the month), no issues with a vertical grip, etc. Still mulling it all over.

OBTW Ammo Jon; nice build!

I did the colt barrel and pinned longer flash hider to be barrel length legal. Leaps and bound more ergonomic versus a 16" heavy barrel and standard flash hider screwed on. Plus you can mount a pig sticker for crowd control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom