• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -As a young man who devoured everything he could find on the subject of Great War history I never imagined that a movie like 1917 would be made in my lifetime. WWI is a difficult subject to wrap a movie around. My favorites, Paths of Glory, The Lost Battalion and Gallipoli, all have a strong anti-war theme. The story line in 1917 is similar in respects to that of Gallipoli.
    -With 1917 winning the Golden Globe for best drama I'm looking forward to the experience. Perhaps pull a 1917 dated SMLE out of the safe to enjoy in the days leading up to the general release.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I was anti-war as a child in my teens...it's still something to embrace...yet to understand the world brings reality and its curse of war.

I've already got a buddy lined up to see this movie, no matter the theme. I'll take your other favorites as possibilities for future downloads...thanks.

Last edited:

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    As soon as I saw the first trailer, I was sucked in. Just not sure the OWMBO'd will want to go. I almost never go to the movies, but this I want to see.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    I'll be watching it once it gets released on DVD. I don't pay to go to theaters, but it's nice to finally see a movie being made about the Great War, bucking the trend of focusing on Nazis in basically everything and adhering to the official religion of the United States that is World War 2.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    But when I saw this post I was excited thinking it was going to be about the M1917 .45 ACP moonclip revolver. This has been a rollercoaster of emotions.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm going to try to go see it with #1 son. Not sure when it will be. If not I'll get the 4k disk.
    In seeing the previews I'm thinking it is similar to Dunkirk, where its telling the story of individuals (pawns of war) just trying to make it through the horrible experience of war.

“War is sometimes a necessary evil with many unnecessary evils contained within”

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'll be watching it once it gets released on DVD. I don't pay to go to theaters, but it's nice to finally see a movie being made about the Great War, bucking the trend of focusing on Nazis in basically everything and adhering to the official religion of the United States that is World War 2.

Yes! I am glad to see Hollywood is recognizing there is more to European history than Nazis.

They Shall Not Grow Old is also excellent.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes! I am glad to see Hollywood is recognizing there is more to European history than Nazis.

That one was amazing.

I am extremely anti-war. Doesn’t mean I can’t recognize that sometimes that’s the only choice you’ve got. Walk softly and carry a big ass stick and all that.

I took my son who was 10 to see They Shall Not Grow Old. He enjoyed it as did I. We saw the trailer for 1917 when the whole family went to see the new Star Wars movie. The instant it was over he turned, looked at me and “Dad, Dad, Dad can you take me to see that?!?!?!?!!?!?”

“Answer is...yeah pretty sure I can swing that with your Mom”. I don’t think she’ll make me sleep on the couch if I take him anyway.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I saw it on new years eve at a theater in DC where it is playing during its early run. It is very much like Dunkirk. I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen. It's one of those movies that just won't be the same at home on your couch. It is quite an experience and one of my favorite films of the year.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    My son-in-law took us to see it on New Years Day in DC. Absolutely one of the best WW1-themed movies I've ever seen. The Canadian-made film Passchendaele is also good, but the scenario at the end is a little over-the-top, pardon the pun.

Both movies I highly recommend to get a sense of what it was like to actually be there, with 1917 doing better addressing the first-person pointy of view. Horrific is the best word I can think of. Oh, and the rats.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    A friend who saw it said it was a great movie. I look forward to seeing it this weekend. WWI is something i am not too familiar with and i hope to get some history lessons.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    In seeing the previews I'm thinking it is similar to Dunkirk, where its telling the story of individuals (pawns of war) just trying to make it through the horrible experience of war.

I certainly hope it is better than Dunkirk. It never struck my fancy but I watched it on a transatlantic flight because I couldn't sleep. Awful!

It's not even European history anymore, it's everything. All the foreigners I associate with ask me why Hollywood loves Nazis so much, because they put them in everything. They're even on the moon now.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I certainly hope it is better than Dunkirk. It never struck my fancy but I watched it on a transatlantic flight because I couldn't sleep. Awful!

Wow...you are the first person who I've heard say they hated Dunkirk. If you're hoping/expecting 1917 to be a WWI Saving Private Ryan (or a conventional war film for that matter), you are going to be disappointed.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Dunkirk took so many liberties on reality and physics that it became distracting. It was just a hodge podge os stories crumpled together haplessly. With the list of really good books out there on the subject I wasn't impressed with the movie.

They shall not grow old on the other hand was really well done even if there did seem to be an excess of bare assery being shown. :(

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It's not even European history anymore, it's everything. All the foreigners I associate with ask me why Hollywood loves Nazis so much, because they put them in everything. They're even on the moon now.

+1

WWI is much more of an interesting event in human history than WWII IMHO.

WWI is the transition from muskets and horses into the brutality of fully mechanized warfare.

I am going to try and see the movie this weekend. Hooray the local theater is playing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom