• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I’ve been wanting to take my grandfathers gamemaster out for a while and just never got around to digging it out. Finally dusted it off tonight and took a hell of a nice doe with it.
    Very nice deer and gun!

What caliber?

Looks sorta familiar.....I have a Gamemaster 760 in 30.06 with a 3x9 Redfield scope.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Very nice deer and gun!

What caliber?

Looks sorta familiar.....I have a Gamemaster 760 in 30.06 with a 3x9 Redfield scope.

Mine is a 30-06 also. Has an old Bushnell sport view and Weaver big wheel rings. Not the greatest scope but it works and it very accurate. And it’s correct for the age it is.

Years ago I had a chance to buy a 30-06 carbine model for $250. Kick myself for saying no.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Mine is a 30-06 also. Has an old Bushnell sport view and Weaver big wheel rings. Not the greatest scope but it works and it very accurate. And it’s correct for the age it is.

Years ago I had a chance to buy a 30-06 carbine model for $250. Kick myself for saying no.
    I bought mine to hunt with Dad in PA, no semis allowed at the time.

We ended up going to SW VA instead. Our host had a 740 Semi in 30.06. Ragged me unmercifully about my slow @$$ed pump gun. Challenged him to a five round, accurate + speed shoot off. He was a hair bit faster, but my grouping was about a third the size of his. Didn't hear any more razzing.....

I will say, he was a VA State skeet champion, and I gave up when he dropped four birds on a covey rise, with a 101 Win. O/U!!!. Hell, he had the first two down, and I hadn't even seen a bird yet.

Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. He had a matched set of 101s in all four gauges. My Dad has his 20 gauge, and one day it will pass to me.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I bought mine to hunt with Dad in PA, no semis allowed at the time.

We ended up going to SW VA instead. Our host had a 740 Semi in 30.06. Ragged me unmercifully about my slow @$$ed pump gun. Challenged him to a five round, accurate + speed shoot off. He was a hair bit faster, but my grouping was about a third the size of his. Didn't hear any more razzing.....

I will say, he was a VA State skeet champion, and I gave up when he dropped four birds on a covey rise, with a 101 Win. O/U!!!. Hell, he had the first two down, and I hadn't even seen a bird yet.

Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. He had a matched set of 101s in all four gauges. My Dad has his 20 gauge, and one day it will pass to me.

Very cool. I can’t imagine what that entire set would be worth al together. My memory of my grandfathers rifle is very different....

When he was alive and sick he wanted to sell it. None of his other rifles just that one. I told him I would buy it to keep it in the family and that I would never let it go and he refused to sell it to me. He also didn’t make much of an effort to sell it to others and ended up keeping it. My grandmother gave it to me when he passed a few months later.

He was the kind of guy that believed if he didn’t let you have it then you couldn’t hurt yourself with it. He did the same thing with a sweet 70’s Honda 750 4 cyl to my uncle who is a huge motorcycle guy. That is literally what he told him. He was a complicated man.

I also ended up with his Winchester 1906 gallery gun. I love that thing.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I had a twenty yard shot at a huge buck I've been interested in for three years here in the western Iowa/ eastern Nebraska area. I passed it up. He was following a couple of does down a shelf of a ridge I was walking along. He had no idea I was watching him and stopped for a perfect broadside shot.

This happened about two weeks ago and I have had second thoughts about it ever since. If I see him again I'm taking him no matter what.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I had a twenty yard shot at a huge buck I've been interested in for three years here in the western Iowa/ eastern Nebraska area. I passed it up. He was following a couple of does down a shelf of a ridge I was walking along. He had no idea I was watching him and stopped for a perfect broadside shot.

This happened about two weeks ago and I have had second thoughts about it ever since. If I see him again I'm taking him no matter what.

And you should feel bad! This is a Bambi whacking thread, not a I didn't feel like the time was right thread!! Jk, bro.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

Well at least he passed his genes on to another generation

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County

This guy was pretty much nocturnal, visiting my front yard daily. My wife told me about this 10+ pointer beating the hell out of the solid 8 point in broad daylight, while I was in VA "hunting" but not seeing anything shootable.

Someone got him......haven't seen him since opening day. As I posted before, trail cam pics were very close to my front door.

https://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273147&stc=1&d=1576251933

Attachments

• 20191125_171549.jpg
      20191125_171549.jpg
      31.3 KB · Views: 281
    • 20191126_190320.jpg
      20191126_190320.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 362

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Bucket List Item Checked

Last week, I checked off a bucket list item: taking a deer and catching a large fall rockfish in a single weekend. The fishing, or rather catching, was last Wednesday, and the successful hunt was on Saturday; close enough.

On Wednesday, I caught a 29-inch striper, which was close to, if not my personal best on a jig. The fishing was nothing short of epic, and several times, we saw gannets crashing into the water one after the other. The second to the last image below is of one of the "gannet storms".

On Saturday, I was hunting in Frederick in a rifle-allowed area where a six-point buck walked out into meadow right at sunrise and 15 minutes after I was settled into the stand. The deer fell right where it stood after a clean shot with a Remington 700 and was checked in before noon. I will not be hurting for rockfish fillets or deer bologna anytime soon.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0b.jpg
      imagejpeg_0b.jpg
      143.7 KB · Views: 304
    • IMG_3665_29 incher_small.jpg
      IMG_3665_29 incher_small.jpg
      71.4 KB · Views: 305
    • DSCN1243_small.jpg
      DSCN1243_small.jpg
      149.4 KB · Views: 287
    • IMG_0201Cropped.jpg
      IMG_0201Cropped.jpg
      84.1 KB · Views: 266
    • IMG_0173-crop2.jpg
      IMG_0173-crop2.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 265
    • DSCN1249_small.jpg
      DSCN1249_small.jpg
      117.8 KB · Views: 270

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Last week, I checked off a bucket list item: taking a deer and catching a large fall rockfish in a single weekend. The fishing, or rather catching, was last Wednesday, and the successful hunt was on Saturday; close enough.

On Wednesday, I caught a 29-inch striper, which was close to, if not my personal best on a jig. The fishing was nothing short of epic, and several times, we saw gannets crashing into the water one after the other. The second to the last image below is of one of the "gannet storms".

On Saturday, I was hunting in Frederick in a rifle-allowed area where a six-point buck walked out into meadow right at sunrise and 15 minutes after I was settled into the stand. The deer fell right where it stood after a clean shot with a Remington 700 and was checked in before noon. I will not be hurting for rockfish fillets or deer bologna anytime soon.

Quick question: why did you hang it by the front legs? I've read several sites where most people recommend hanging them from the hind legs. Something about draining to the head is better for how the meat will taste.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    So this season has been pretty good for me. As a lot of you all know, Ive been taking my son hunting, for the last few years, and some other youth hunters, for a few years, before he was old enough to hunt. With that said, I don’t get very many opportunities to hunt myself.

This year, my son turned 15, and I’m letting him hunt by himself, finally giving me a chance to harvest some deer myself! Of course we are hunting the same properties, and keep in contact with each other with cell phones.

On opening day we were hunting a farm, where the owner wants all the deer killed. I was able to harvest 2 does in the last few minutes of legal shooting hours. I shot them using my 1895 Marlin guide gun in 45-70. The 1st doe was shot at about 65 yards, and dropped right there. The other doe was about 30 yards, and ran about 15 yards, before falling over dead. 300 grain hollow points at around 1900fps are no joke!

Yesterday evening we were hunting another property and I shot a spike buck. I was using a Ruger AMERICAN Predator rifle in 223. I shot the buck at about 40 yards, and the buck ran about another 30 yards before falling over dead.

It’s been nice to shot some deer myself, as I hasn’t happened often, for the last few years, and using different guns this year, has also been kinda neat for me.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I just realized I never posted a picture of the buck my son got on youth day. I was with him in the stand, when this 7pointer gave him a shot, at 90 yards. The deer never knew what hit him, and dropped on the spot, when my son pulled the trigger on his Savage 243. The buck is nothing to write home about, but I’m proud of the hunter he has become!

Attachments

• ED437C62-C9A5-46A6-BE33-CB9E6C75CF93.jpg
      ED437C62-C9A5-46A6-BE33-CB9E6C75CF93.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 296

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I think it's a hell of an accomplishment. Whats even better is you were with him. Thats what he's going to remember. Every year he'll become more and more prepared and the next thing you know you'll be on your own and you wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I think it's a hell of an accomplishment. Whats even better is you were with him. Thats what he's going to remember. Every year he'll become more and more prepared and the next thing you know you'll be on your own and you wouldn't trade the experience for the world.

Your absolutely correct. I’ve been with him and watched him take several deer over the last few years. Those memories are better than any/ all the deer I’ve taken myself.
    Hopefully, we will be hunting together, although in separate stands, for a long time to come. I always tease him and say, he has to stay with me, because when I get old, he will be the one doing all the work, after the trigger has been pulled. Lol.

Also, great memories taking out my close friend’s sons hunting. They’ve grown up to be good young men. In fact one of those “boys” is coming over later today, to help me with a few things around my house. They call me “uncle”, although we are not related.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    ... The buck is nothing to write home about, but I’m proud of the hunter he has become!

He's happy, your happy, what else is there to ask for? He'll be a better hunter year after year. Congrats!

I personally think the time spend afield and the company you are with is much better of a memory than the game that you killed. Sure that one buck, or the one pile of waterfowl are memorable, but the time with friends and family fill 90% of that space.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    He's happy, your happy, what else is there to ask for? He'll be a better hunter year after year. Congrats!

I personally think the time spend afield and the company you are with is much better of a memory than the game that you killed. Sure that one buck, or the one pile of waterfowl are memorable, but the time with friends and family fill 90% of that space.

Totally agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom