• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I applied for my carry permit about a month or so ago and one of my references told me they had been interviewed. I took this to mean I had at least preliminarily satisfied the G&S requirement, otherwise why would they bother even interviewing anyone? Am I reading too much into it?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    They interview reference, at least they are supposed to. Msp has been cought before not interviewing, though.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As I recall, my interviewer (who also talked to my references and my wife) essentially described his role as fact-finder, not decision-maker. He appends his findings to the application, and then all of that goes up to the licensing division. In my case, THOSE guys had another requirement for me as they weighed my goodness and my sufficiency. So, as much as I'd like to say that your reference(s) hearing from them means you're over that hurdle, it's probably not there yet. Good luck!

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Yea, the fact that your reference was interviewed, doesn't give any indication one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Not that I can imagine how it bears on the investigation, but my interviewer did ask what I’d be carrying. It’s an odd question when you think about it, but he was asking the Vulcan Mind-Meld eye contact when he asked, so presume if someone says, “I was thinking of my AR pistol under a trench coat” or “A phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range” it gives them something else about your state of mind. What did you qualify with during your class? I used a pistol I’ll likely never carry, not that it matters.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not that I can imagine how it bears on the investigation, but my interviewer did ask what I’d be carrying. It’s an odd question when you think about it, but he was asking the Vulcan Mind-Meld eye contact when he asked, so presume if someone says, “I was thinking of my AR pistol under a trench coat” or “A phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range” it gives them something else about your state of mind. What did you qualify with during your class? I used a pistol I’ll likely never carry, not that it matters.

It's one of the questions on the list. When I was asked I told the investigator that I hadn't decided yet and that I would cross that bridge when I had permit in hand. A polite nunya effing business....

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    Sent in my wear and carry renewal about two weeks ago. Anybody done one recently and how long did it take to get back?

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    It's one of the questions on the list. When I was asked I told the investigator that I hadn't decided yet and that I would cross that bridge when I had permit in hand. A polite nunya effing business....

I will probably use a similar approach. At this point it would be the truth anyway. I`m exempt from the training, but my main home defense gun is an xd in .45. It`s the one I shoot the most, but just feels a bit too bulky for CC. Im on the fence between a glock 19 or a revolver in .357. Then again, I may just get both.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I kinda of did the same thing with a twist, I asked them what they recommended for carry.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    Sent in my wear and carry renewal about two weeks ago. Anybody done one recently and how long did it take to get back?

This is another thing that`s been on my mind. IF I am approved, the initial permit is only for two years, correct? So I`d only be looking at about 18 months or so of freedom before I`d have to get the ball rolling on renewal.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’ve probably mentioned this before, but my W&C instructor made a dubious claim that you have to qualify with either a pistol or revolver, and carry the class of handgun you qualified with. I haven’t come across anything formal that confirms what I suspect is another manifestation of BGOS.

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I’ve probably mentioned this before, but my W&C instructor made a dubious claim that you have to qualify with either a pistol or revolver, and carry the class of handgun you qualified with. I haven’t come across anything formal that confirms what I suspect is another manifestation of BGOS.

Well....the hunter safety course will exempt you from the training requirement and it only requires you to shoot one round from a long gun. My class had a choice between a 20 gauge and a .22. Zero bearing on one's ability to effectively use any handgun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well....the hunter safety course will exempt you from the training requirement and it only requires you to shoot one round from a long gun. My class had a choice between a 20 gauge and a .22. Zero bearing on one's ability to effectively use any handgun.

W&C = Carry permit <> HQl

the hunter safety course will exempt you from the training requirement... for the HQL, not W&C

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Maybe your instructor was a recent transplant from TX where this is actually a thing, or he's just full of shyt.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    But, you’re still on the hook for the 16 hours of class time, and the 8 hours on renewal, right? I don’t think hunter safety gets you around that for W&C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom