• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I have a lead on a used Kenwood TS 50,

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts50s.html

I'm looking for comments on this transceiver as to suitability as a starter set and what a good price would be.

Thanks for any help.

If I remember what I read, they are just old enough that the caps are going out on them. If they have been re-capped, that would be a good thing. Other than that, it would work for a starter radio.

I see one sold on qrz for $400 plus shipping, in the past few months. I think I'd want it for closer to $350, locally.

I'd also rather go with a used Icom 718 and an external tuner, which will be a little more, but you'll get your money back out of it easily. A used Icom 718 is maybe $400 to $450, and an LDG tuner for it might be another $150? Or you could get a used manual tuner for half that.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    If I remember what I read, they are just old enough that the caps are going out on them. If they have been re-capped, that would be a good thing. Other than that, it would work for a starter radio.

I see one sold on qrz for $400 plus shipping, in the past few months. I think I'd want it for closer to $350, locally.

I'd also rather go with a used Icom 718 and an external tuner, which will be a little more, but you'll get your money back out of it easily. A used Icom 718 is maybe $400 to $450, and an LDG tuner for it might be another $150? Or you could get a used manual tuner for half that.

Thanks for the input. I may be able to pick it up for around $200.

Still looking around to see what's out there. Not wanting to dump much money into HF until I see if I will spend enough time using it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I had one years ago. Decent radio but lacks 2 meters and 70cm (440mhz) that a lot of newer HF mobiles have.

No tuner so you will need resonant antennas or an external tuner.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks for the input. I may be able to pick it up for around $200.

Still looking around to see what's out there. Not wanting to dump much money into HF until I see if I will spend enough time using it.

I don't see that it has 6M (even though it's not HF) based on the link you posted, like most "HF" rigs have, and although it says 10-160M I also wonder if it does 60M or I should say can transmit on 60M.

It doesn't have DSP which almost every recent radio has and is nice for noisy environments and interference.

For getting your feet wet in HF, it's a good price point although eham has a post by a guy who says he bought one four years ago for $125. Maybe offer him $150?

I would definitely want to see the seller demo it, next to a good recent radio would be best.

Last edited:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If it works, I'd jump at it for $200. That's a good price for a starter radio, assuming there are no problems. Heck, you could probably put it up for sale for parts on QRZ for at least $50 to $100, if it ever died.

I'm not a 6 meters fan, and a $30 Baofeng will get you VHF/UHF.

Don't worry about DSP. Learn how to run the RF Gain. I find that's much more useful, on most radios. Especially older ones.

A good antenna is far more important.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    MFJ makes good stuff

Begin the Lee vs. RCBS debate.

Seriously, MFJ has a mixed reputation (some refer to them as Mighty Fine Junk) but I haven't had anything I've bought from them fail and I bought that meter when I was first licensed. It's survived being driven around in my vehicle for a few months, hooked in line for a while to monitor my output and being loaned out. Like I said, I first brought a name-brand competitor's meter and had to return it because out of the box it wouldn't zero. I bought the other meter from HRO and they took it back no questions asked.

MFJ also sells some innovative stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom