My latest build with an awesome cerekote job by Legion Rifles

Attachments

• 20171230_003122.jpg
      20171230_003122.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 404
    Last edited:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Couple questions for you. What is your intended use for this setup, long range, hunting etc? What's the weight? I am considering a 308 build for deer hunting but am having trouble making up my mind on this or a 308 bolt gun.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    Couple questions for you. What is your intended use for this setup, long range, hunting etc? What's the weight? I am considering a 308 build for deer hunting but am having trouble making up my mind on this or a 308 bolt gun.

I built it to be a long range bench rifle and it weights 12.1 lbs as pictured

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That looks great! I may have to get them to do an AR15 for me.

Not to hi-jack... but I am wondering how light of a .308 could be built on a AR chassis? Could someone get down to 7lbs for a hunting rifle? I am guessing a lightweight stock and a 16" barrel with a smaller profile would help a lot but not shave off that much.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Not to hi-jack... but I am wondering how light of a .308 could be built on a AR chassis? Could someone get down to 7lbs for a hunting rifle? I am guessing a lightweight stock and a 16" barrel with a smaller profile would help a lot but not shave off that much.

Yes, roughly that for a very lightweight build without going exotic.

To me 8lbs is the sweet spot for a hunting rifle. I’ll probably be tired by the end of the day if I am waking the woods a lot, but fine. My new 18” 6.5 grendel is 8lbs 2oz with optic and sling (no mag). Looking to swap the scope mount for an aero precision to skim 2-3oz off at some point.

My 16” .223 is 7lbs 3oz with red dot on it. My 20” .223 is 9lbs even. Downsides to HBARs (my grendel is as well, but it is a flutted Barrel at least).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes, roughly that for a very lightweight build without going exotic.

To me 8lbs is the sweet spot for a hunting rifle. I’ll probably be tired by the end of the day if I am waking the woods a lot, but fine. My new 18” 6.5 grendel is 8lbs 2oz with optic and sling (no mag). Looking to swap the scope mount for an aero precision to skim 2-3oz off at some point.

My 16” .223 is 7lbs 3oz with red dot on it. My 20” .223 is 9lbs even. Downsides to HBARs (my grendel is as well, but it is a flutted Barrel at least).

Sounds like a bunch of cyclists trying to get a sub 12 pound bike, with other cyclists jumping into the thread and saying, "lose 10 pounds of body fat and you don't need to worry about the bike." Please, we cannot be going the cyclist route here on hunting guns. lol

Damn, now I am thinking about hanging my .300 Win Mag from my bike scale to see how much it weighs. Finished thinking about it. It weighs 12.01 pounds.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD

JP Enterprises makes a lightweight 308 that comes in a little over 6 lbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON7iMJZ7G5w

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Only reason I care about the weight is hunting in South Dakota a normal hunt is between 5-7 miles of walking. If I was just sitting in tree stand it wouldnt matter.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks everyone. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. 8 lbs. would be fine with me also. Fabs, come weigh my gun please :rolleyes:

Only reason I care about the weight is hunting in South Dakota a normal hunt is between 5-7 miles of walking. If I was just sitting in tree stand it wouldnt matter.

That is similar to my situation. Up in Maine, we will walk 5-7 miles a day. After putting 10-15 lbs. of backpack on my back, I want to save all the weight that I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom