• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    If you or your wife are motivated, get a certification for group fitness. My wife and I teach cycling at a gym and gave free membership and get paid per class. It was close to a 300 dollar investment but, free membership plus pay for the past 5+ years has been worth it!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I think it's a good deal with the pool and the options for 5 people to use. Especially when you factor in the money you were/could be spending for separate swim lessons and Tae Kwan Do. If it gets used, it's a good deal. How often would your kids be using any home equipment you buy, and no pool? The hours sound great as well.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It may very well be, IF they offer all those things & if all 5 of you use it...

Being e geezer has it's advantages = I pay $99.xx per year for myself at Planet Fitness BUT they do not have a swimming pool or baby sitting or dance classes or biking (spin) classes or personal trainers...

What they do offer is TONS of equipment in a clean well maintained facility...

And at less than $2.xx a week, it meets all my requirements...

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    "Worth" is totally up to you. For the same amount of money, you can buy a pretty comprehensive home gym, especially if you work through Craigslist. However, not everyone can do the home gym routine and have positive results, which is why you can get home gym equipment for cheap on Craigslist. If working out at home doesn't work for you, there's nothing inherently wrong about that, it's just a matter of how different people are wired. If it works for you, I'd recommend the home gym. If not, than $2000 bucks is still a pretty good investment for better health for you and your family. Of course, if you're not going to use the expensive gym, either, then you should probably just throw that money in a 529 for your kids.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Comes down to the person. Not all but most people who can't workout at home won't have great results at the gym. It's a life style change that gets results. Plus half the battle (if not more) is spent outside of the gym.

People are more willing to work out at a gym because they fill guilty about wasting money and also have the peer pressure. Once they get over it, the gym time slacks off

Like anything in life. If the person really wants to make a difference they will make it happen. If they sorta want to, it won't.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    This question brings up bad memories of Bally's. What a freaking rip off that was. Don't ever sign up for a lifetime membership to a gym.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    This question brings up bad memories of Bally's. What a freaking rip off that was. Don't ever sign up for a lifetime membership to a gym.

Your reply brings up

Naa naa naa na naa naa naa

Mmmm

Fever_Kylie_Minogue_US_cover.jpg

Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    The best deals I have seen in terms of value and offerings for families comes from the YMCA. I have worked for Merritt and another gym and have found them to be a massive rip off. The Y has a real positive place in terms of classes and facilities. Can't beat that damn price and the perks afforded to members (double awesome if you have kids and want discounted camp experiences).

I said it in an earlier post, and I don't think I could go any other way but, if you pick up a part-time gig at a gym you end up with free membership. On top of that, you are getting paid to work out. I have only had to teach 1-2 45 minute classes a week.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    .....Of course, if you're not going to use the expensive gym, either, then you should probably just throw that money in a 529 for your kids.

Already "throwing" money away in the 529 plans for my kids. Crossing my fingers and praying every night, one will go to the Air Force Academy.

Been there twice. Okay so far, my second loves the day care, oldest rather stay home and play PS4, and trying to ween my youngest, who my mother in law watches during the day, into daycare, by leaving him at the gym daycare for couple hours at a time.

The swimming pools were the sales point for my wife, and I really didn't have a choice...but good so far.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    I prefer indoor rock climbing. If you're around the Rockville Earthtreks I can meet you and teach you the basics. Most of the people I take break a full sweat in a single climb.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    Wife and I were members until we figured out that over five years we would've paid enough in fees to buy a very nice brand new waverunner. Now we just go to LAFitness.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As frequently happens, having one conversations about two different things.

OP's wife was talking about consoladating pre existing multiple classes for multiple kids that just happened to also include gym membership. Most of the posters were talking about bare bones workouts for one.

For myself , I have $15/ mo membership at a basic gym. Periodically over the years thought about a home setup. Sure weight setup ( or equiv) is reasonable enough, but my primary necessity is cardio, and semi-professional grade treadmill or whatever is s good chunk of money. And at the gym I can occasionally switch up equipment instead of being married to it because I sunk so much into it.

YMMV.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I just don't get buying a gym membership for cardio. Buy a bicycle or go on a run. Cardio is literally the cheapest form of exercise to engage in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom