• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This morning I could not reach the forum. I had to remove the hosts entry I had in Windows to get to the forum and then I couldn't log in. I had to delete all the cookies in Firefox for things to start working properly.

has the IP address of the server been changed?

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    There was a cookie issue over a month ago that was fixed when we updated VB3. Clearing the cookies if you have not since then needed to happen. I had login issues as well until I cleared mine as did many folks. Let me know if there is still an issue.

I know some have asked for an SSL cert, web guy friend of mine has been gone, we have never done or sen an SSL cert on a forum, do you know if Don had it installed specifically for a certain area only anyone?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    did the IP address of the server change? i couldn't even get to the forum until I edited out the mds entry in my host file.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    There was a cookie issue over a month ago that was fixed when we updated VB3. Clearing the cookies if you have not since then needed to happen. I had login issues as well until I cleared mine as did many folks. Let me know if there is still an issue.

I know some have asked for an SSL cert, web guy friend of mine has been gone, we have never done or sen an SSL cert on a forum, do you know if Don had it installed specifically for a certain area only anyone?

An SSL cert was installed at some point. However it expired in 2013.
    I know when you guys updated you went from Nginx to Apache.
    As mentioned on other threads, consider https://letsencrypt.org no cost to MDS.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IP info from my old host file 199.91.126.234

nslookup resolve today. IP seems to have changed

Attachments

• dns.JPG
      dns.JPG
      25.7 KB · Views: 188

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    It's not unusual that an IP address can change on a WWW site. That's what DNS is for. Obviously if you have a static address in your HOSTS file it won't look at DNS. Changes can be made for a number of reasons and usually the explanation is only known to the admins. My guess is that the decision was either made at the data center where the server lives or by the ISP.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    maybe that's where I screwed up. irregardless, when I took the entry out of my host file, i could reach the forum.

so something changed. thanks for pointing out my mistake.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    I had the same issue today. Changed mdshooters in my hosts file to the new IP address and all is well again.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Crap,, How do I get to the HOST file in windows. I did add MDSHOOTERS.COM a year or 2 ago when we all were having a problem. Now I need to take it out I guess.
    Bueller?

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    When I went in through "http://199.91.126.234/forum.php" I got this... and when I use the new IP "http://192.69.219.10/forum.php" the same thing happens. I'm not familiar with host files etc. but I just want to be able to access MDS at work lol.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      9.9 KB · Views: 124

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I had trouble last day or so. My issue was I had the old ip hardcoded in the host file. I removed it and all is well use dns.

If providers and engineers use DNS properly, you should not have to use a hostfile entry.

My 2 cents.

Sent from Foxtrot-Mike 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom