• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Guys my Matchmaster powder dispenser arrived today and I quickly set it up per RCBS's directions. I let it warm up and then Calibrated the scale. I also let my Chargemaster warm up and Calibrated it also. Next I started weighing bullets 55 grains up 750 grains. So far both scales were weighing identical to each other. Over the next couple of days I will be loading up a couple of hundred rounds and I will do side by side speed tests. I will see If they throw charges that weight the same and most importantly I will be testing for drift. I will keep you guys posted and let you if It's worth the money or if I have an expensive paperweight and should have bought an autotrickler.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If you have challenges getting it to throw consistent charges, RCBS tech support suggested a 1” piece of McDonald’s straw for my 1500 and to tweak a couple of the slow down points.

As delivered, I had significant over charges as the extruded powder would pile up/ log jam at the end of the tube and then fall. [ a refresher of my notes shows this wasn't true - 29/30 were accurate, just took FOREVER to throw]

With the straw and parameter tweaking I can throw 30 charges, no overages and so much faster.

Not sure if the parameters for your scale are the same, else I’d post the file they sent me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you have challenges getting it to throw consistent charges, RCBS tech support suggested a 1” piece of McDonald’s straw for my 1500 and to tweak a couple of the slow down points.

As delivered, I had significant over charges as the extruded powder would pile up/ log jam at the end of the tube and then fall.

With the straw and parameter tweaking I can throw 30 charges, no overages and so so faster.

Not sure if the parameters for your scale are the same, else I’d post the file they sent me

So, RCBS is selling a product that requires you to fix it before it works as intended?! Seems like they should refine their production methods and QC inspections to correct the issue before offering any more for sale!

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland

As delivered, I had significant over charges as the extruded powder would pile up/ log jam at the end of the tube and then fall.

With the straw and parameter tweaking I can throw 30 charges, no overages and so so faster.

This is about the New MatchMaster not the Chargemaster. I did start messing with it yesterday and its quite frankly a pain in the a$$ to set up and start using. I'm about to hit the bench now and see how it works. I'll be loading up a 100 rounds of 308win and 200 rounds of 338 lapua. I plan on doing half in match mode and half in standard to see how it goes. I will keep you guys updated.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey, I appreciate you keeping us in the loop. I'm not sure I can justify eight hundred bucks on the MatchMaster, but I absolutely want to know how it measures up against a CM. What powder are you throwing? I think the real test is going to be the tough extruded ones like 4064.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Hey, I appreciate you keeping us in the loop. I'm not sure I can justify eight hundred bucks on the MatchMaster, but I absolutely want to know how it measures up against a CM. What powder are you throwing? I think the real test is going to be the tough extruded ones like 4064.

Right now AR comp and n570. I'm out of Varget. Thats is a get mix of small and large extruded powders

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    So, RCBS is selling a product that requires you to fix it before it works as intended?! Seems like they should refine their production methods and QC inspections to correct the issue before offering any more for sale!

I can see how you’d draw that conclusion from my post....

I don’t consider adding a 1” piece of McDonald’s straw to the dispensing spout as a fix though.

The chargemaster 1500 has over 25 parameters which could be changed in software.

In my case, because I was using an extruded powder, and the dispensing spout is threaded on the inside, the kernels would log jam and a clump would fall at the last moment resulting in a periodic over charge.

I went back to my test results and realized I mis-spoke earlier. With the default settings, it threw 29/30 accurately - but took a bloody long time to do so. Average time to throw 23.8 gr was 25 sec with the fastest 19s and the slowest 35s.

Tweaking the points at which the scale slowed down from fast to slow to trickle for me to 30/30 accurate with an average dispensing time of 16.2s. More accurate and faster was worth some tweaking of these three settings.

Not sure if the match master has the same settings or if the dispensing spouts are threaded on the inside. Also don’t know if the initial am test results would have been faster with a flak or ball powder.

Really just posted earlier to relay - don’t get frustrated if it takes a long time or isn’t as accurate as you’d like - might take some ‘bringing into focus’ to get the desired results.

sorry if I left a misconception. I hate typing on my phone and my brevity didn’t help.

I’ll find the word doc and post later tonight

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Here is the settings change instruction for the 1500. Again, not sure if this helps the Matchmaster or not, sharing though in case it does

Attachments

• Scales_ChargeMaster 1500 Speed Adjustment.docx
      25.8 KB · Views: 127

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    So I just loaded up 100 rounds of 308 and 100 rounds of 338 lapua and I can give what I feel is an honest review. First I ran 5 rounds in standard mode set to drop 41.7 grains of ar comp it took an average of 26 seconds on the Matchmaster. Fastest drop was 13 seconds longest 28. The chargemaster averaged 28 seconds. In Match mode it averaged 35 seconds for the same 41.7 grains drop but it had multiple overthrows. I didn't time the lapua rounds but I will say I ran all in match mode and it seemed like it took forever. As for overthrows I stopped counting after 20.

My conclusion is The RCBS MatchMaster or at least the one I have is JUNK. I will be sending it back to midway and getting an auto tricker v3. If you want to give RCBS 900 bucks just buy 2 chargemasters you'll be happier.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Chargemaster Potential

Just an FYI of the way I use my Chargemaster.
    Yes, this is a Matchmaster thread, but I view the MM as being an unneeded product given what is possible with the Chargemaster.

After throwing and measuring, on a laboratory Mettler balance, literally thousands of throws of all powder types, I am pretty familiar with this machine. Basically, if you want fast throws, you will sacrifice precision. If you are after precision, you will sacrifice speed. As mine is set up for precision only, I can’t comment on modifying for speed.

If you add an orifice constrictor to the intake part of the discharge tube (i.e. straw), precision will improve, at the expense of time. If you add an orifice constriction at the discharge end of the tube (see image), additional precision will be gained. If you then reprogram the machine to run SLOWER, further precision gains are possible.

g8t47J7.jpg

(Note: I made the discharge end orifice constrictor tube shown in the image, but there is a similar product available for about $10 on eBay. I tested it, and it works as well as my version.)

I have done all three, and am able to throw just about any powder type with a precision of +/- 2 or 3 GRANULES of powder. But it’s slow. I throw powder charges as a separate task from loading, and store each throw in a glass vial. Thrown charges are then weighed to check and adjust (to the individual granule). These charges are then saved, ten vials to a (Walmart) crayon box (see image) until brass is adequately prepped, and then the charges are added to the cases from the vials. No Matchmaster needed.

XFSsFWO.jpg

PJyhRGU.jpg

It is slow, but I take my electronic book to the Mancave and read while throwing charges. I use the audiobook function while checking and adjusting charge weights with the Mettler. But when I pull the trigger on a round, I know exactly how much powder is in the case. Again, no $900 Matchmaster needed.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Interested in results... for sure.

I can only tell you from what I've seen in load development personally...and that is if you use the OCW, a tenth of a grain wont throw you that far out. My shooting buddy uses a RCBS CM, and the last match we shot, he shot a 600-47X at 600 yards in fclass. For you guys not familiar, that means all 60 rounds were 6" group and 47 of those 60 were are 3" group. I also load using a non-modified CM, but i'm not as good of a shooter as him.

I decided to purchase a 2nd CM instead of the MM, so I could speed up the loading process as I load for my father also.

KRC...what is the ebay product you mention? The green threaded once I've seen?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    It looks like its called a Chargemaster Reducing Insert.
    There is also a slightly different product from another vendor called MK Machining Inserts.

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I will be sending it back to midway and getting an auto tricker v3.

The autotrickler has preformed beyond my expectations. Easy to setup and easy to use. Do you consider .02 grains an overthrow? Throws and trickles a 43.0 grain load of H4350 in 6 to 8 seconds.

Who wants to buy an almost new ChargeMaster 1500?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Nope .02 would be with in specs as promised by the company that makes it. The Matchmaster needs work. I think they rushed it to get it out before Christmas. A software update may fix the issue's I'm having but I doubt it. It works fine in standard mode but that would make this a 900 Chargemaster. I bought to use in match mode which is terrible. Hell sometimes the weight on the scale moves just by holding your hand near it. sSometimes it just dumps powder for no reason. Not sure what the issue is. I haven't used it in a week or 2. I need to load up some rounds so I may give it 1 more chance. We will see.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Nope .02 would be with in specs as promised by the company that makes it. The Matchmaster needs work. I think they rushed it to get it out before Christmas. A software update may fix the issue's I'm having but I doubt it. It works fine in standard mode but that would make this a 900 Chargemaster. I bought to use in match mode which is terrible. Hell sometimes the weight on the scale moves just by holding your hand near it. sSometimes it just dumps powder for no reason. Not sure what the issue is. I haven't used it in a week or 2. I need to load up some rounds so I may give it 1 more chance. We will see.

Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with it. I went with the 2 CM route and just got the "reduction tips" mentioned above. I haven't tested them yet to see how much slower it makes it.

Hope you get something figured out soon.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Sorry to hear you're having bad experiences with it. I went with the 2 CM route and just got the "reduction tips" mentioned above. I haven't tested them yet to see how much slower it makes it.

Hope you get something figured out soon.

I have 2 chargemasters also with the bushings to reduce powder. they work well my older one that I bought years ago has started drifting and I don't trust it anymore. I had high hopes for the Matchmaster. I had a gut feeling not to get it and I didn't follow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom