• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Something else to keep in mind: you're looking at an infrared image. Many critters with seemly monochromatic coats (like, a tawny-looking cougar) will, when seen in IR, have markings or patterns you'd never see with the naked eye.

We routinely catch some of the local foxes on one of our back yard multi-mode cameras. Seen at night in IR, there are spots, patches, and other dramatic tone changes in their coats that you would never otherwise notice. I'd not be at all surprised to learn that a possibly still-somewhat-juvenile mountain lion has some IR-sensitive spotted markings you'd generally not see in normal light.

Yeah look for IR pictures of mountain lions. They have slight speckling on the belly and legs under IR. Much less than a bobcat, which has significant numbers. Bobcats are very tall compared to their length, much thicker in the torso also. Plus that picture the cat has no neck ruff like a bobcat. Ears are all wrong and lack a bobcat’s tufts. Can’t see the tail really, but it seems like there is a legit tail that is mostly hidden, not a bobbed tail.

From what I have heard DNR is claiming bobcat. I claim they are full of shit.

Bobcat

Attachments

• C67C2CF2-22A6-4582-B4FA-8F241749538C.jpg
      C67C2CF2-22A6-4582-B4FA-8F241749538C.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 880

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You know, I can remember when the park folks used to assure us that "there were no coyotes in Maryland". Given that I saw three in Clarksburg before it was built up and had a client in Sandy Spring who regularly had them in her back pasture serenading her horses, I became a little skeptical of the "experts". Whenever they say "do not exist" it should be followed up with "because we haven't seen one -yet."

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No contest one on one

Agreed. Hell even most wolves one-on-one with a cougar, I’d give the win to the cougar. Now maybe a full on timber wolf vs cougar....

Coyotes or even coywolf vs cougar and the cougar is going to be picking its teeth with coyote ribs right quick.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Just a bobcat. Only ever seen one in all my time in the woods.

If its a bobcat it's a big one. I used to see them occasionally while hunting in N Florida and they looked like they weighed 20 or so lbs. The one in the picture looks to go 35-40lbs. Maybe they just run bigger up here? I've never seen one in MD but I've seen their scat many times while deer hunting at Patuxent Research Refuge.

If its a bobcat it's a big one. I used to see them occasionally while hunting in N Florida and they looked like they weighed 20 or so lbs. The one in the picture looks to go 35-40lbs. Maybe they just run bigger up here? I've never seen one in MD but I've seen their scat many times while deer hunting at Patuxent Research Refuge.

I see Bobcats daily at work (zoo). You are correct about the ~20lb weight. They aren't too much bigger than a large house cat.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Any idea if the cat was checking out a food plot or bait station of some kind (i.e. why was there a trail cam there)? If so, maybe we can get another photo? Seeing the tail would answer the lion vs. bobcat question. My hunch is also that this is NOT a bobcat. I've seen a bobcat in person in VA.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Lol. I'm sure bars on Main Street in Bel Air have Cougars but no 4 legged big cat cougar/mountain lion/puma are in Harford County.

Just my opinion.

I saw one in the woods behind my house last fall. Lion, that is. I guess there’s been some trail cam pics of them up in Fallston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLSKOL59

Jun 24, 2018
    DNR said,no bears in MD. DNR said,no coyotes in MD. DNR says,no big cats in MD. Who are we to disagree ?

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    USDA is going with Bobcat also. Heard it was forwarded to DNR also, the above post indicates they say Bobcat. I saw one in the south area of Sykesville in broad daylight many years ago crossing Forsythe Rd. It was way bigger than 20 pounds and clearly a Bobcat. Only one I've seen in 21 years there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom