• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    Im curious, i have the same deal ccw for company with restrictions you its easy gryphon says not so easy

It depends on what kind of "good and substantial reason" you had to get your permit. If you are a business owner, it can be very easy provided you have the right arguments to say and you can articulate yourself well before the review board, AND you appealed within 10 days of receiving your permit. If it has already been 10 days, you have to wait until you renew.

As Rack&Roll said, I did use Mark Pennak's analysis in my arguments, at the suggestion of Mxrider. I found him because I am already a member of MSI.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    It depends on what kind of "good and substantial reason" you had to get your permit. If you are a business owner, it can be very easy provided you have the right arguments to say and you can articulate yourself well before the review board, AND you appealed within 10 days of receiving your permit. If it has already been 10 days, you have to wait until you renew.

As Rack&Roll said, I did use Mark Pennak's analysis in my arguments, at the suggestion of Mxrider. I found him because I am already a member of MSI.
    If it its beyond 10 days, you can submit a restriction modification request and $10 to MSP. If denied, you can then appeal to the HPRB within 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Congratulations, OP! That was my first meeting, observing the practices and getting an idea as to what happens there. I'm glad I went.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm a first time Maryland applicant (DC resident) currently awaiting MSP action "in the next two weeks" (according to the Licensing Division when I called to ask Monday). I was told by my instructor that MSP was allowing "Personal protection and all lawful purposes" to suffice as a G&S reason. My investigator said that wouldn't fly, so I submitted a G&S statement that divulged lots of information about my life, my job, and my background, to substantiate my "need" to exercise that which is a fundamental right.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but I keep thinking about the renewal process in two years. We are only having *some* success at present because of an R in the Govs Mansion -- Larry Hogan. When we go for renewals down the line (with an inevitable Dem Administration), I foresee a return to an old world of baseless MSP/HPRB rejections/denials. I know we can cross that bridge when we come to it, but I'm just thinking long term.

No offense, but your instructor is an idiot, I certainly hope he's not an IP here.

Unfortunately we have run into a few who will blow smoke up applicant's back sides just to get a sale. Definitely sad, should be criminal.....

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    I do think the instructor was mistaken. In my experience MSP does NOT allow your word that you want to use it for "personal protection and all lawful purposes" or anything like that. Currently you can get a permit if your job requires it (armed guard), if you are a business owner or someone authorized to carry and deposit money for the business, or for personal protection ONLY IF you can prove multiple recent, documented death threats (meaning police reports or similar).

cool_t_1

Sep 14, 2016
    AA County MD
    Congratulations OP. How long did it take you to get an appeal hearing? It is refreshing to see restrictions being lifted. Being from Alabama this process is all new to me and the struggle to CC.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Congratulations OP. How long did it take you to get an appeal hearing? It is refreshing to see restrictions being lifted. Being from Alabama this process is all new to me and the struggle to CC.
    Last report i heard was the board is booked through 2/18

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017

I received my permit with the restrictions back in December 2016, and the hearing was 6 months later. Maryland moves slowly. The MSP is supposed to decide about your initial permit within 90 days but mine took more than 120 before I received my first permit.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I'm a first time Maryland applicant (DC resident) currently awaiting MSP action "in the next two weeks" (according to the Licensing Division when I called to ask Monday). I was told by my instructor that MSP was allowing "Personal protection and all lawful purposes" to suffice as a G&S reason. My investigator said that wouldn't fly, so I submitted a G&S statement that divulged lots of information about my life, my job, and my background, to substantiate my "need" to exercise that which is a fundamental right.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but I keep thinking about the renewal process in two years. We are only having *some* success at present because of an R in the Govs Mansion -- Larry Hogan. When we go for renewals down the line (with an inevitable Dem Administration), I foresee a return to an old world of baseless MSP/HPRB rejections/denials. I know we can cross that bridge when we come to it, but I'm just thinking long term.

A quick rant: :mad54:

It boggles my mind that any lawmaker can justify voting for anti-2A legislation in this day and age ESPECIALLY in a state like Maryland with two massive crime-ridden metroplexes in or near the state (i.e. Bmore and DC). Bad guys are ALWAYS going to get guns and they are out there. Anyone who takes the time, and has the patience to go through this long, invasive W&C process is NOT the enemy.

Who was your instructor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

Thank you, glad you could understand the question i should really proof read before posting. I'm past the ten days about one year this coming September

ivzarleinad

Jun 6, 2017
    If it its beyond 10 days, you can submit a restriction modification request and $10 to MSP. If denied, you can then appeal to the HPRB within 10 days.

Thank you, glad you could understand the question i should really proof read before posting. I'm past the ten days about one year this coming September

It seems I was mistaken and you can actually appeal your restrictions even now. What is your "good and substantial reason?" If you are a business owner you have a good chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom