• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The CMP still has .22 Kimber's for sale excellent single shot target rifle with adjustable length of pull. Government surplus new in box shipped direct to your door. After reading the CMP description, sounds terrible, do a Google search and see what people say about the condition. I bought two for my grandsons and all they needed was a good cleaning to be perfect.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    The CMP still has .22 Kimber's for sale excellent single shot target rifle with adjustable length of pull. Government surplus new in box shipped direct to your door. After reading the CMP description, sounds terrible, do a Google search and see what people say about the condition. I bought two for my grandsons and all they needed was a good cleaning to be perfect.

Nice rifles but they aren't going to work for a 6 year old. Not even for a 10 year old. Those things were made for soldiers to shoot.

I got my youngest a cricket. Accurate little rifle, but she outgrew it in 2 years.

Now she shoots a custom cut down Anschutz 1907.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The new Rascal from Savage looks pretty nice.

Threadsurrection....

Got a look at a Rascal today (in bright yellow), and was mightily impressed.

Bright yellow will allow the adult to keep a wary eye, and looks cool enough to keep the kid's interest.

The action, and the Accutrigger are quite nice, and the peep sight is nicely set up.

If it shoots half as good as it seems, it should be a winner.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I ended up buying my oldest a rossi 22/410 youth combo break action single shot for his 10th birthday last year. His little brother accompanied me to the gun shop today where I was looking for a 12ga for myself. He'll be 10 next year, but he's thinking bigger than a 22. He says he'll "grow into it." :lol2:

Attachments

• 20150919_100420.jpg
      20150919_100420.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 164

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ended up buying my oldest a rossi 22/410 youth combo break action single shot for his 10th birthday last year. His little brother accompanied me to the gun shop today where I was looking for a 12ga for myself. He'll be 10 next year, but he's thinking bigger than a 22. He says he'll "grow into it." :lol2:

It's got a muzzle break - he'll be fine. :rolleyes:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    CZ makes a nice one, just costs more.

The CZ 452 Scout is a very fine rifle for a small child. I just picked one up from Hafers and am in the process of fitting it with peep sights. My youngest daughter shoots on the Arlington rifle team (where DamIfINowFish coaches) and the shorter barrel length and LOP allow her to comfortably hold the standing position. Previously she was fighting the rifle and getting frustrated.

Specs on the Scout:
    Dimensions
    Weight 5.050 lbs
    Overall Length 32.760 in
    Barrel Length 16.220 in
    Length of Pull 11.970 in

It comes with a 5 round magazine and single shot adapters are also available for the CZ 452s.

More info can be found - http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

We had tried one of the 'larger' 452s at the beginning of the season and found that the Lux/Trainer was simply too heavy - but as DamIfINowFish says, it is a fine rifle for an older child.

Nice thing about the 452 action is that they are (for the most part) readily interchangeable with other 452 stocks. I test fitted the scout action into the Lux/Trainer stock so as she grows, i only need to loosen 1 screw and move it into a larger piece of wood.

Again - may not be the route everyone takes, but it is the one we chose.

The CZ Scout if you can find one is a great first rifle ( it is small). My 7 year old has no issue with fit (and is an average sized kid). When she gets bigger she will. I like that it is a high quality rifle with the ability to operate like a single shot ( with adapter) and has magazines of 5 and 10 rounds as well.

My two cents

Given that this dormant thread is revived, as per the OP, I was recently researching this topic so wanted to add a couple of links. The Kimbers at CMP are long gone, but they have Savage Mark II rifles with accutriggers and Williams peep sights for $257 - a very reasonable price.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/22-target-commercial/

As mentioned upthread, the CZ 452 Scout is another great option with a shorter length of pull that might be suitable for an 6-10 year old. CZ has largely discontinued the 452 line, moving to the modular 455 line, except for the Scout and Ultra Lux (a long barreled, precision shooter - both available as CZ 452s). One of the better deals that I've seen for the Scout is for $250 here ...

https://556tactical.com/product/cz-02050-cz452-2e-zkm-scout-22lr-yth/

If shooting iron sights in competition, these Williams peep sights are compatible ... http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/19012_452455-Adj-Peep-Sight-W-Target-Knobs

Lots of rave reviews on different websites/forums about the accuracy of the CZ 452 Scout.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I think he'll have a revolver and scope growing out of his forehead.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    For anyone looking for a .22 bolt action for their child, the CZ Scout is an excellent choice as they will never outgrow it. You can always buy a full sized stock from CZ as the child grows. FWIW many adults use the Scout as any everyday rifle. Very compact, handy and accurate. Fits nicely in a car or on an ATV.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    We have the Rossi 22/410
    If you want to reduce recoil for the 410 you can throw a sandbag or bag of lead shot into the plastic stock.
    Even for an adult the fiber optic sights are good to use. I don't know about the break action for use on the bench though.
    Plus it has its own carry bag. You could even classify it as a survival gun

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Another vote for the CZ Scout here. Picked it up last winter for my 11-year-old son. It is a great gun and you can get regular CZ rimfire mags when ready to move beyond the single-shot phase. These are really accurate rifles and will make you want to get your own CZ. These are the best deals around for rifles now. Can't be beat for fit, finish, and shooting quality. Also love the walnut and blued steel.

GunnyHwy

Oct 18, 2007
    Howard County
    Rossi 22/410 combo in our house for the girls. I bought it on some ridiculous sale/rebate at Dicks when my oldest 18 months knowing that it would get some use one day. At 8, she does a pretty good job at 25 yards with it. Hoping to take her rabbit hunting with the 410 barrel one of these days.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yep, I bought my son's from dsg as well. It was on sale plus I had a coupon. Think I paid $120 otd for it.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    I have a marlin 981T which has been pretty good for my kids, the stock is full size so smaller kids might have a problem with it until the get more full sized.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Ruger American Rimfire Compact. Nice accurate bolt action.

mags available in single shot, 5, 10, and 25 round capacities (uses 10/22 Mags)

LOP can be changed for ~$20 simply unscrew the sling stud, snap in the longer stock module.

Can be changed from flat to monte carlo stock the same way (raised comb stock module included)

Ultimate "grow into" starter gun.

start the kid off with the compact LOP and a single shot mag.

As he/she gains experience let him have 5, 10, 25 round mags.

Optics??? Add a scope and the monte carlo stock module.

Arms get longer......change LOP with a new stock module.

**note: 25 round mags out of state purchase only***

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ruger American Rimfire Compact. Nice accuarate bolt action.

Good point cause my first 22 was a Marlin XT22 and my son who is 14 now had a hard time with the LOP when he was younger. My now 11 year old, he could not put it against his shoulder when he was 8 and get the scope close enough.
    An adjustable stock is really helpful there. Even if you have it short, you can employ a slip on pad to quickly switch from one shooter to another.

OP, you setting up a shooting camp?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    +1 on the RAR Compact. Got one last year for my then 10 year old. Get the threaded model just in case.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have run a Jr Rifle program for several years. We have used everything from the cricket to Anshultz.

For the age group you are asking about I recommend the Savage Rascal and or the Savage MKII FVT.

If you would like them to try them out before you buy let me know.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    +1 on the RAR Compact. Got one last year for my then 10 year old. Get the threaded model just in case.

Thanks for the tip. Never even knew about this model. My son has already outgrown the rossi 22 I bought him last year so it will be handed down to his little brother. After reading through this thread, i saw a rar compact with scope pop up in the classifieds so I nabbed it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom