• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Before anyone chimes in to pitch this rifle, I want to try to figure out what this is chambered to first. It may end up as a mantle piece but I'm not ready to give up yet. It is a 6.5x50 mm Type 38 Arisaka. It appears to be bubba'ed but I'm not sure to what. I took a wax mold and it spec'ed out to manufacturer's specs (there is a small difference between what's online and what is in Hornady #7 edition). I loaded Prvi brass, which pretty much matched Norma specs, with the lightest load for the bullet. Here's the result. Any thoughts? The spent casing is leaning 'cause it also bulged the primer. Don't worry, the rifle was clamped down and I fired with a 30 foot piece of rope. I fired 2 rounds and both are the same. Some things that caught my eye were the re-forming of the shoulder and the lack of expansion at the base.

Attachments

• 65japari.gif
      65japari.gif
      12.1 KB · Views: 944
    • Spent_Casing.jpg
      Spent_Casing.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 352

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    looks like the chamber is not the same as the ammo to me..as you can see the neck is increased dramatically...ammo is smaller than chamber...not good/dangerous if you have the wrong ammo...IMO

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Before anyone chimes in to pitch this rifle, I want to try to figure out what this is chambered to first. It may end up as a mantle piece but I'm not ready to give up yet. It is a 6.5x50 mm Type 38 Arisaka. It appears to be bubba'ed but I'm not sure to what. I took a wax mold and it spec'ed out to manufacturer's specs (there is a small difference between what's online and what is in Hornady #7 edition). I loaded Prvi brass, which pretty much matched Norma specs, with the lightest load for the bullet. Here's the result. Any thoughts? The spent casing is leaning 'cause it also bulged the primer. Don't worry, the rifle was clamped down and I fired with a 30 foot piece of rope. I fired 2 rounds and both are the same. Some things that caught my eye were the re-forming of the shoulder and the lack of expansion at the base.

The webbing's not going to expand it's a bit thick in that area.

My guess;
    6.5x55-SE-scheme.svg

300px-6.5_x_55mm.JPG

Dollars to donuts it's been rechambered

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Long ago I bought an 03-A3 at the Dallas gun show which Bubba had tried to re-chamber to .308 Norma Magnum, near as the gunsmith could tell. The tip off was a .30-06 round would just fall into the chamber, and because the bolt face had been opened way up, of course it wouldn't extract. I ended up having it rebarreled and got a new bolt body.

You never know what Bubba may have done. In my case, the gunsmith wasn't sure either. He said it was closest to .308 Norma Magnum, but wasn't really right, and was very roughly done.

Bubba has to practice on something to develop his astonishing skills.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    I think I am correct! Almost the same thing!
    http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=29623

Looks like it.

Conversion of war-souvenir Japanese Arisaka rifles

Japanese Type 38 Arisaka rifles brought to the United States as wartime souvenirs were sometimes converted by rechambering to utilize more readily available .257 Roberts cartridge cases because commercially produced 6.5x50mm Arisaka cartridges were scarce prior to distribution by Norma Projektilfabrik A/S. The neck of the Roberts case would be slightly enlarged to accept handloaded 6.5mm bullets. The modified Roberts cases are sometimes known as 6.5x.257 Roberts, although the case headstamp may still indicate .257 Roberts.[5] Neither unmodified .257 Roberts ammunition nor the original 6.5x50mm Arisaka ammunition are suitable for firing in rechambered Arisaka rifles.[6]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom