• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I purchased a pair of complete new Colt AR lowers and had them shipped to my LGS. LGS had me submit a 77r, and when she took my application number and pin, I believe she entered “rifle lowers”. She had me log back in an complete a 4473 form ( I think that’s what it was). When I was done she stated to come back in 7 days when I receive my “not disapproved” email. When I mentioned that these were destined to be rifle lowers she said it didn’t matter, because at that point they (ATF/MSP?) didn’t know whether they would be pistols or rifles and the 7 day wait applied.

Sound right?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Should not be transferred as "Rifles". Should be transferred as "Other".

The whole reason for the 77r and 7 day wait is because they can be built into pistols.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's a possibility of screwing yourselves by transferring complete lowers with rifle stocks on them. I'm not clear on Md law in that regard.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    There's a possibility of screwing yourselves by transferring complete lowers with rifle stocks on them. I'm not clear on Md law in that regard.

There's an ATF letter that says you can still build a pistol even if transferred with a rifle stock. Of course there are other letters saying it must be a Virgin or pistol receiver to build a pistol.

For the OP. Are you sure these are virgin lowers? I don't believe Colt has sold virgin lowers for a couple of years now. So any existing would be NOS. The vast majority of Colt lowers out there are going to be rifle take offs.

Virgin Colt lowers are expensive. If the OP paid less than $1000 for a lower, the chance of them being virgin are about zero

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Here's the ATF letter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-190054_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20210330-190054_Chrome.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 246

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics