• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A friend asked me to look at his S&W 3000 auto-opening knife which no longer opens when the button is pressed.

When I disassembled it, I was surprised to see that instead of a coil spring, it has leaf spring which is broken.

Does anyone have a source for these? I have been unable to find anything close is appearance, and lack the facilities in my apartment to temper and heat treat material to fabricate a new spring.

One end of the broken spring has a loop which goes around a stud to hold the spring in place. I have found a place that has spring material, but it will still need to be formed on the one end before it can be used. I am concerned that if I just heat it enough to form the loop, the temper may be lost creating a weak point in the replacement.

I am not experienced when it comes to the treatment of metals. Any advice from the collective knowledge base here, would be greatly appreciated.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The spring material arrived yesterday from knifekits.com and was easier to shape than I expected. I was able to bend it enough without using any heat to fit, but it was .015" too wide and needed to be trimmed.

Not having a belt or disk sander, the Dremel got called into duty. Actually looks pretty good, too.

After fitting the new spring, full function has been restored. I do love a happy ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom