• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    My father bought this Western Field M550AB at a gun show in 1978. It was unused but may have been several years old at the time. Western Field was a Montgomery Ward house brand produced by Mossberg. It is essentially a Mossberg 500.

He gave it to me ~15 years ago and it has been largely unused in that time. It was last used regularly in the late 70s. Recently I became interested in it again and took it out to clean it and make sure all was well. My wife tried it, liked it, and then shot the remainder of the shells that I had on hand. :)

My wife has long said that it was too heavy and unwieldy for her to use as a home defense gun. With that in mind I decided to update it to something more suited for that purpose. The change is dramatic - it completely changes the character of the gun. It’s over a foot shorter and nearly two and a half pounds lighter.

Before and after pics as well as some basic comparison info are below.

Before:
    Overall length: 50 1/4”
    Barrel: 30”
    Length of Pull: 14 7/8”
    Weight: 9 lbs

After:
    Overall Length: 38"
    Barrel: 18.5:
    Length of Pull: 13 3/4"
    Weight 6.6 lbs

Attachments

• 973C7292-6E1F-4D40-8881-F43142D01AA6.jpg
      973C7292-6E1F-4D40-8881-F43142D01AA6.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 777
    • 5D126D65-7FA8-4B6B-AF8F-AA66DBA51A60.jpg
      5D126D65-7FA8-4B6B-AF8F-AA66DBA51A60.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 775
    Last edited:

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I did the same thing to the same gun a few years ago. I wonder if I can get $500 for it right now?

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    If my father had given me his 40 year old original gun I would have been honored to be it’s caretaker and insure it was passed down to my children, but I’m an old guy and think more about those things as time goes by. To each his own, you ended up with a nice shotgun. Good luck....

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    If my father had given me his 40 year old original gun I would have been honored to be it’s caretaker and insure it was passed down to my children, but I’m an old guy and think more about those things as time goes by. To each his own, you ended up with a nice shotgun. Good luck....

That’s the plan. I have no intention of selling or parting with it. I’ll keep the original parts too - that 30” barrel would be great should I ever use the gun for hunting. It can be back to its original condition in 10 minutes.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a Western Field M550AB also. I bought it from my future father in law when my wife and I were dating for $75 in 1979. It's been a great shotgun over the years. I has the celect-a-choke and I've used it to hunt doves and geese and shoot clays. When my Father in Law died I gave it to my youngest daughter. Each of my other kids got one of hs guns too. My kids each got a gun that belonged to my Father when he died too. I'm not very sentimental as a rule but I am with guns. The guns that belonged to my Father mean a lot to me.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Got this western field in 20 ga from an uncle

Attachments

• 8C33AD2C-852E-476B-B1E2-10637F03B805.jpg
      8C33AD2C-852E-476B-B1E2-10637F03B805.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 593

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Got this western field in 20 ga from an uncle

I got the same one from a buddy for $50. Only issue is that the safety won't stay engaged. I tried to replace it, but none of the safety parts I can find have a long enough arm to strongly engage the trigger. It's not worth the fuss, but would be nice to figure out.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have one in the classified section now listed at $500. Probably too much but in today's market maybe not. I just don't want to sell cheap and have someone flip it.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    I have one in the classified section now listed at $500. Probably too much but in today's market maybe not. I just don't want to sell cheap and have someone flip it.

I saw your ad and can confirm that it is essentially a Mossberg 500. The price does seem to be on the high end but these are indeed strange times. Good luck with the sale.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    My father bought this Western Field M550AB at a gun show in 1978. It was unused but may have been several years old at the time. Western Field was a Montgomery Ward house brand produced by Mossberg. It is essentially a Mossberg 500.

He gave it to me ~15 years ago and it has been largely unused in that time. It was last used regularly in the late 70s. Recently I became interested in it again and took it out to clean it and make sure all was well. My wife tried it, liked it, and then shot the remainder of the shells that I had on hand. :)

My wife has long said that it was too heavy and unwieldy for her to use as a home defense gun. With that in mind I decided to update it to something more suited for that purpose. The change is dramatic - it completely changes the character of the gun. It’s over a foot shorter and nearly two and a half pounds lighter.

Before and after pics as well as some basic comparison info are below.

Before:
    Overall length: 50 1/4”
    Barrel: 30”
    Length of Pull: 14 7/8”
    Weight: 9 lbs

After:
    Overall Length: 38"
    Barrel: 18.5:
    Length of Pull: 13 3/4"
    Weight 6.6 lbs

Nice upgrade! Now, sell the wood stock an old barrel for around $120-185. Just depends on how fast you want to sell it.

An a $20 pistol grip will really make it fun!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I saw your ad and can confirm that it is essentially a Mossberg 500. The price does seem to be on the high end but these are indeed strange times. Good luck with the sale.

Local to me store has a new 590-A1, with wood furniture, is going for $995. He'd be better off selling on consignment and get a lot more for it. Just to be frank, I'm seriously considering selling my unfired Mossberg Shockwave right now.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Local to me store has a new 590-A1, with wood furniture, is going for $995. He'd be better off selling on consignment and get a lot more for it. Just to be frank, I'm seriously considering selling my unfired Mossberg Shockwave right now.

Sounds like a 590A1 Retrograde, they have a classic trench gun look to them.

Attachments

• BDC9CA31-02EC-478D-BA2A-FAB1A0B2DD13.jpg
      BDC9CA31-02EC-478D-BA2A-FAB1A0B2DD13.jpg
      63.8 KB · Views: 220

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads