• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OverTheTop

Mar 1, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I've been considering buying a 45 caliber handgun, after having owned a 9mm, Walther PPQ, and was wondering if anyone had 45 guns they really like. I'm trying to do my due diligence and research the available options, before committing to a buy. Ideally I will try to rent/borrow all the handguns I'm considering, so I get a sense for how they shoot.

So far I've had the opportunity to try out a USP 45, which I was surprisingly a little disappointed with, as the gun did not run as smooth as I expecting. People online put the USP 45 at god tier levels of good, but the gun I shot had extremely harsh recoil and shot very low. This could be due to the particular pistol being a well used rental, but still not a great first impression given the reputation the USP has. I'll want to try it out at another range before writing it off.

I've also tried the FNX-45, which is my definite favorite so far. Very smooth shooting and accurate. If I were to make my decision based on just my experiences with USP and FNX, I would go with FNX.

That being said, I was curious if there are other guns anyone thinks I should look into and try out? I'm generally looking for 45's like the USP or FNX, modern double stack handguns, but I don't have a preference for hammer fired vs striker. I've heard good things about the P320 in 45 as well as the PPQ in 45, so those are on my list to try next.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The USP in my experience is phenomenal. I suspect that rental wasn't the best cared for example. Another option from the same family would be the HK45. Trades better ergonomics for 2 less rounds in the mag.

Also consider the Sig P220 and P227.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Check out the Springfield Armory XD45...several variations. I have a H&K USP45...never a problem...it's accurate but kinda large. The Glocks are worth a look as is the S&W M&P45. I'm basically a 1911 guy but I have to acknowledge there are very fine pistols of other designs. You can also look at the SIg P220...an outstanding handgun but a single stack and you say you're interested in a double stack.

Lots of choices out there...try out as many as you can before deciding. Not to knock the 9mm and .40 handguns...you can't go wrong with a .45 ACP.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you like the PPQ in 9mm, then you should try out the PPQ in 45. If you are not tied to high capacity and Polymer striker fired guns you owe it to yourself to try out a 1911. One of my favorite 1911's for the money is a Springfield Range Officer. A 1911 is a different feel, but many find it very appealing to shoot.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Glock 30 SF or its big brother the Glock 21.
    The Glock 30 SF is an incredibly accurate gun for its size.

Also consider the Sig 220 (single stack... I know). I have only fired the 320 in 9mm and that was a good gun.

This gun is hit or miss for some people but you also have the CZ 97.

I have never fired the Ruger American in .45 but it was built to compete with the P320.

I agree with the TheOriginalMexicanBob:
    Lots of choices out there...try out as many as you can before deciding. Not to knock the 9mm and .40 handguns...you can't go wrong with a .45 ACP.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My m&p45 has been extremely reliable and is dead nuts accurate. Very little recoil... especiallly with the comp on it. If you have plans for a .460 rowland kit(look in to it...you should have plans for one)... a glock 21 is basically the way to go.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I’ll add that my USP45 also runs better than the rental you described. Currently you may have a hard time finding a lot of .45’s available. I was looking about a month ago trying to find a G21, FNX-45, M&P45, or P220 and there were none available. I’d occasionally find one and by the time I got it in the car it was gone. I ended up buying a M&P40 since .40S&W was still somewhat plentiful at the time.

You are not likely going to find a P320 in .45 available, at least not new, since Sig discontinued them.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am not a big built guy so I find that the recoil from my Sig 1911 can be a bit difficult for me to handle. I have to pause between shots to get set on the target again which can either be a good or bad thing depending upon whether I am at the range or in a home defense scenario.

Have you rented a 45 caliber pistol to find out if the recoil bothers you or not?

Cal68

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If you like the PPQ in 9mm, then you should try out the PPQ in 45. If you are not tied to high capacity and Polymer striker fired guns you owe it to yourself to try out a 1911. One of my favorite 1911's for the money is a Springfield Range Officer. A 1911 is a different feel, but many find it very appealing to shoot.

this, you have to at least try one.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Only 45 I own I bought before the HQL became law...not getting the HQL. I have the FNP Tactical and enjoy shooting it more than the HK USP 45 I traded for it. Suppressor host eventually and got a non threaded barrel if carrying it ever becomes an option. Can't beat 15 + 1 of 45 in a handgun. Wish someone would come up 20 rounders or extended base plates for the 15s.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Rental guns with unusually heavy recoil are generally indicative of recoil springs that are way, way past their lifetime. I would not judge a platform by that.

If you just want to **** around with a .45ACP, probably any of the guns listed will do the job. The P320 in .45ACP can be converted back to 9mm, so that could be useful. Other things to consider are how well they suppress, optics mounting capabilities, accessory rails, trigger pull weight, etc.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Glock 21. Full sized. Big gun.

All the reliability of a Glock in a time-tested caliber. What's not to like?

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I really like my FNX45, I have large hands and it "fits" almost perfectly. I had trouble with the grip on a HK USP, probably the angle of it.
    Downside is harder to find magazines and pricey ones to boot.

solidbrother

Jan 20, 2012
    i have a usp tactical and a glock 21sf. i prefer the hk but they are both nice guns.

i handed over the usp to my friend's mom to try after she shot a single stack 9mm and liked the usp better.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Been a 1911 fanboy for years.... never thought I'd go plastic until I decided to diversify and bought a the Springfield XD 5" Tactical and Glock 30. 13+1 capacity with a light/laser makes the XD a heavy thumper, but surprisingly smooth and quick follow-ups. Threaded barrel for a can. The G30 was the best of the compact .45's I've shot. YMMV.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The Glock 30 is an excellent pistol...no question. The Glock 21 feels like a 2"x4" in my hand...the 30 doesn't. I know Glock makes the 21 in a single stack version as well but haven't tried it. Colt Defenders are awesome pistols as well...but they're single stack which isn't what the OP is looking for. For compactness and capacity in a .45 pistol the Glock 30 is hard to beat.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I'm a 1911 fan, but all the advice here about different options has pretty much everything covered. Only thing I can add is to conside what you (OP) want the gun for. Is it for just punching holes in paper, do you think you may want to compete with it, will it be for home defense and/or carry? Those could all factor in to what you decide to get.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a few 45s, love the caliber. If you approach it with reasonable expectations, then it can offer a lot of benefits. It WILL have more recoil than 9mm, twice the weight, lots more momentum, can't beat physics, although there is a huge difference between a light 185gr and a 230+p. Capacity is reduced, double stacks have large grips, and might only add 2-4 rounds more than a single stack, it's a big round, not like 9mm where you can basically double capacity with a doublestack. It is very unforgiving if you have less than perfect trigger control or grip placement, really easy to develop a flinch, but with proper technique you can greatly increase control and recoil recovery, this translates to lighter calibers. 45 platforms have other options, mainly 10mm, where you may have an even wider performance range, from light recoiling 135gr loads up to nuclear full power loads capable of hunting large game. 45super/450SMC has a similar power range, 460 Rowland conversions can run from 400FPE standard 45acp up to 1000+FPE loads that rival 44 magnum.

As far as what handgun to look into, IMO the GLOCK SF or gen 4/5 is the most practical, handles well, familiar, decent grip size, huge 13rd capacity, reliable, simple, inexpensive etc. Many people will reccomend a 1911, I own a couple and like them, but they can take some work to run well, and can have problems feeding. The new 70 series Colt pistols are awesome, lots of fun to shoot something iconic, IMO the ergonomics aren't great, and maintenence can be a little tough, but a good 1911 trigger is legendary. I also have a Sig P220R SAO, similar layout and controls to a 1911, but more rounded grip, lighter, sleeker, easier to shoot, easier to maintain, and more reliable with a variety of ammo. I have shot the P227, the grip is comparatively huge, and doesn't feel as compact and controllable, all to gain a mere 2 rounds of capacity. The CZ97B is a SEVERELY under appreciated pistol, It's basically a CZ75 with full length dust cover/rail, shadow 2ish metal grips, and 1911ish control layout but DA/SA operation. The high grip, natural feel, and large grip(although relatively reasonable and slim for a metal frame double stack 45) makes it a sweet pistol, the grip and weight soak up recoil well, and it's reliable and simple to maintain, all for $729 MSRP. I do own a USP 45, and like others find your initial impressions puzzling. They do have an odd 2 stage recoil spring system with a really light 14# main spring and a small stiff second stage spring, it allows them to handle hot 45 includeing 45 super out of the box, but the primary spring does wear, and will increase recoil until it is replaced. I't a big poly framed pistol, a little lower grip than the GLOCK, 1round less capacity, but IMO it's slightly smoother/softer recoiling with slightly more muzzle flip. I didn't care for the safety lever, it sits in a spot right where I want to put my thumb, where most other pistols with a thumb safety seem to feel fine with my thumb on top, or underneath the lever. I did the "light" LEM conversion to a short reset light 2 stage DAO trigger, similar although lighter cleaner and overall better than a GLOCK trigger. The pistol is a tack driver, but the sights do hit low with most ammo, unless you line them up, and put the dot on the front OVER the bullseye instead of lining the top of the sight blade with the bottom edge of the bullseye, GLOCKs and many other combat pistols shoot the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom