• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have a friend in the Coast Guard who is traveling from Oregon to North Carolina with an AR. He won’t be able to keep it in North Carolina so his parents want to bring it to Maryland to store it while he’s gone.

It was purchased after 2013. Here’s what I know, if it’s any caliber besides .223/5.56 it’s OK to bring it to Maryland. If it’s piston driven it’s OK to bring into Maryland. What I don’t know is, if it’s Heavy Barrel and purchased after 2013 can it legally come to Maryland?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Tell your friend he should have joined the military instead of the hooligan Navy. Puddle pirates. ;-)

I don’t think you have enough info on the weapon to get a good answer b

I won't tell him it's you when you're lost at sea.

ETA: I know about the "b" at the end of your post...I do it all the time on my iPhone when I miss putting in the period.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I won't tell him it's you when you're lost at sea.

ETA: I know about the "b" at the end of your post...I do it all the time on my iPhone when I miss putting in the period.
    If I’m lost at sea, leave me.

Left home and joined mother CG at 17. Retired at 57 from serving her for forty some years in many capacities. To say I love her is perhaps to understate my sense of duty.

Your friend will be just fine.

Semper Paratus.

Thanks. The b happens often. Fat fingers. Too fast. Too little attention to detail...that might get me lost at sea, except I’m ensconced in the mountains.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    If I’m lost at sea, leave me.

Left home and joined mother CG at 17. Retired at 57 from serving her for forty some years in many capacities. To say I love her is perhaps to understate my sense of duty.

Your friend will be just fine.

Semper Paratus.

Thanks. The b happens often. Fat fingers. Too fast. Too little attention to detail...that might get me lost at sea, except I’m ensconced in the mountains.

A splendid reply.

Semper Puddles ;)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Too little attention to detail...that might get me lost at sea, except I’m ensconced in the mountains.

So when you retired, did you sling an oar over your shoulder and march inland, until someone asked you where you were going with that winnowing fan?

(I read somewhere that that's how old sailors find a place to retire.)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So when you retired, did you sling an oar over your shoulder and march inland, until someone asked you where you were going with that winnowing fan?

(I read somewhere that that's how old sailors find a place to retire.)

That story goes back at least to Homer's Oddesey .

(I was going to mention it, but you beat me to it.)

( By the way, a guy I work with served on the Taney , in the engine room, in the early '80s I think.)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Great question fellas.

I came far enough inland (and high enough) that hurricanes were replaced by tornadoes and those rare. I also wanted nooooo flood insurance. At 3700+ ft, I am much more likely to build an ark than to need or captain one.

Taney is a storied ship. She was 327’ and they were tough old steam ships. I’m sure I know some folks who served with him. In the basement...damn hot in that upper blower space. In summer, it was killer down south. I sailed in a sister ship, Duane, in 1976. I had some shipmates who served in Taney. She was homeported in Portsmouth then. Lots of old Coasties loved on Taney even after she made her way to the inner harbor. Kinda moving to watch old guys working diligently and lovingly on her old self. They had lots in common. Having served our country loyally and for all types of missions and in all kinds of conditions.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Well, the poor Coastie doesn't have a gun that meets muster, so he will sell it or give to someone for safe keeping. I thank you all and Nnatg8r I hope it gave you some nice reflection on your salty past.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks y’all. All good. No worries.

Sounds like he’s living aboard ship or at a unit. I get it.

If Coastie wants it stored in NC, I’ve a couple options for him. Son is in eastern NC (Marine Major) and I’m on the TN border...easy stop through off forty.

There’s always room in the safe for a fellow Coastie. If not, I’ll just get another safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom