• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I just read this and this sounds to me like a potentially bad case in terms of impact on gun rights under state laws. Am I incorrect?

“Somin argues that Murphy v. NCAA, decided by the Supreme Court last year, will have a big impact on this case and a positive one for federalism. In the NCAA case, the court ruled that a federal law could not commandeer the regulatory power of state governments.

Like PASPA, Section 1373 is an “order” to state and local officials; it undermines states’ control over their governmental machinery and partially transfers it to the federal government. In this case, federal law prevents states and localities from directing their law enforcement officials to pursue state and local priorities rather than assist federal immigration enforcers.
    Conservatives especially should be mindful that a result they approve of may come at the expense of a foundational principle they hold dear. While California’s laws in opposition to federal law in immigration seem wrong for a host of reasons, the consequences of how they are challenged may have wide-ranging consequences in other states for other issues. As Somin concludes, those “[c]onservatives who may cheer Trump’s efforts to coerce sanctuary cities may not be so happy when future Democratic presidents use similar tactics on issues such as gun control, education, or environmental enforcement.””

(Emphasis added)

https://www.libertynation.com/will-the-supreme-court-grant-sanctuary-to-california/

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I just read this and this sounds to me like a potentially bad case in terms of impact on gun rights under state laws. Am I incorrect?

“Somin argues that Murphy v. NCAA, decided by the Supreme Court last year, will have a big impact on this case and a positive one for federalism. In the NCAA case, the court ruled that a federal law could not commandeer the regulatory power of state governments.

Like PASPA, Section 1373 is an “order” to state and local officials; it undermines states’ control over their governmental machinery and partially transfers it to the federal government. In this case, federal law prevents states and localities from directing their law enforcement officials to pursue state and local priorities rather than assist federal immigration enforcers.
    Conservatives especially should be mindful that a result they approve of may come at the expense of a foundational principle they hold dear. While California’s laws in opposition to federal law in immigration seem wrong for a host of reasons, the consequences of how they are challenged may have wide-ranging consequences in other states for other issues. As Somin concludes, those “[c]onservatives who may cheer Trump’s efforts to coerce sanctuary cities may not be so happy when future Democratic presidents use similar tactics on issues such as gun control, education, or environmental enforcement.””

(Emphasis added)

https://www.libertynation.com/will-the-supreme-court-grant-sanctuary-to-california/

I agree that it could go real bad, but only because most states are addicted to federal money. If we as a country, as states or even as counties could reduce the need for money from the next level up of Government, the less the federal gov't could hold states hostage. The flip side of that is of course local governance needs local accountability both legally and morally.

So yeah this could go bad.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I’m not worried for a second.

All states are parties to the COTUS. Feds enforcing civil rights will alway trump.

Anytime a liberal gives out advice based on a future prediction, the opposite is all but guaranteed.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    States should have rights, yes, but not over the Constitution.

The 10th amendment is clear. Any powers NOT enumerate in the Constitution are states domain. Last time I checked the issue of owning and bearing arms WAS an enumerated right and therefore should NOT be the domain of the states...that is why the ONLY legitimate gun law in this country is the 2nd amendment since the constitution is the highest form of federal law..

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The 10th amendment is clear. Any powers NOT enumerate in the Constitution are states domain. Last time I checked the issue of owning and bearing arms WAS an enumerated right and therefore should NOT be the domain of the states...that is why the ONLY legitimate gun law in this country is the 2nd amendment since the constitution is the highest form of federal law..

:thumbsup: :party29:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

10. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Which is why when you put judges who are not originalists on the Supreme Court it's a bad idea. The 2nd is clearly written, but mental gymnastics, creative interpretations and an acceptance of the concept of a "living document" all lead to a grey area in terms of what that right protects and opens up a fissure for states to then claim the 10th gives them the ability to work within and expand that fissure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom