• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I’ve pulled some .45ACP Berry plated bullets after having doubts about my powder drop, (which I gave a thorough cleaning). Now I have doubts about reusing these bullets with an indent in them and plan to toss them.

Would you use them?

Attachments

• 8FA6F5E0-9599-4F35-8103-65E575859A4C.jpg
      8FA6F5E0-9599-4F35-8103-65E575859A4C.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 240

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I’ve pulled some .45ACP Berry plated bullets after having doubts about my powder drop, (which I gave a thorough cleaning). Now I have doubts about reusing these bullets with an indent in them and plan to toss them.

Would you use them?

That looks like a technical drawing hiding behind those bullets!!! Are you Cody Wilson??? :D

The bullets should be safe to shoot, but if your concerned about accuracy, they may have issues.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    As long as it didn't break through the plating you should be fine.

There were a few with chipped plating and I knew they were trash before I asked.

That looks like a technical drawing hiding behind those bullets!!! Are you Cody Wilson??? :D

The bullets should be safe to shoot, but if your concerned about accuracy, they may have issues.

I need all the help I can get in IDPA, which was what these were for. Now I’ll just keep them around for plinking.

When I looked around for a background my eye landed on the diagram for the trigger group in a lower build.

Thanks all.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yep, shoot'em. Looks like you could back off your crimp a bit. Since .45ACP headspaces on the case mouth, your crimp goal is to take the flare off and add just enough beyond that (1-3 thousandths) to prevent setback.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pretty much normal for plated, I would use them for practice loads, but back off the crimp a bit, auto calibers don't need much. I crimp just a hair past flat, and check in a case gauge. Some calibers like 9x19 can get too deep in the case gauge with a relatively minor crimp.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I would not recommend shooting them in a Kimber Classic Target II. I was told that if your reloads are not crimped correctly, it causes failures on 1911. Mine blew up. But then again, it could be BS because Kimber doesn't want to repair a bad gun. Not helpful, but at least I had another opportunity for a Kimber insult.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I use a case gauge.

It’s not for a Kimber, but a CZ-97. When the gun was new it wouldn’t set-off my reloads. In a phone call to CZ I was told they didn’t recommend shooting reloads, and since factory rounds worked fine, they wouldn’t do anything about it. I ended up taking it to a gunsmith who said the firing pin was out of spec; to short. CZ sent a new one and it’s fine now.

ETA: I will back off the crimping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom