Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 9th, 2018, 07:05 PM #1

NRA sues Florida over gun bill same day Gov. Scott signed it into law

They've got a bad case out of the 7th Circuit to contend with and the carry case out of the 5th Circuit Crawford. But this is the first time the Courts have dealt with a complete ban on 18 year olds being able to own arms.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...law/412365002/

The National Rifle Association sued in federal court Friday to block a new Florida law, just signed by Gov. Rick Scott, that prohibits gun sales to anyone under 21.

"We filed a lawsuit against the state for violating the constitutional rights of 18- to 21-year-olds," said Marion Hammer, lobbyist for the NRA in Florida. NRA lawyers in Tallahassee and Washington, D.C., were working on the complaint Friday afternoon, and filed the complaint moments before the court's deadline.

Hammer had previously called the legislation "political eye-wash."

The suit was filed just over an hour after Scott signed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act into law. He expected opposition from the gun lobby.

Marion Hammer
Gun lobbyist Marion Hammer returns to her seat after speaking in the Senate Rules Committee meeting on gun safety in the Knott Building at the Florida state Capitol in Tallahassee, on Feb 26. (Photo: AP/Mark Wallheiser)

Im an NRA member, and I was an NRA member when I became governor. Im going to be an NRA member when Im not governor, Scott said. Im sure there are NRA members that agree with this bill, some that dont agree with this bill.

The lawsuit names Attorney General Pam Bondi and Rick Swearingen, Commissioner of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

More about the school safety law

Read the NRA lawsuit aiming to shut down gun control law

Florida Governor Rick Scott signs gun control bill, arms some teachers

Florida House OKs first gun controls in 20+ years; Gov. Scott won't say if he'll sign it
Senate approves school safety package 20-18; bill heads to the House
Legislature stiffs schools on safety program; arming staff may be only option
SPONSORED BY THE TAX DEFENSE GROUP
Bitcoin And Taxes
See more →

The complaint says the new law prohibits law-abiding citizens between the ages of 18 and 21 from lawfully purchasing a firearm of any kind.

"This blanket ban violates the fundamental rights of thousands of responsible, law-abiding Florida citizens and is thus invalid under the Second and Fourteenth Amendments," it says.

The complaint says the law particularly affects young women.

Females between the ages of 18 and 21 pose a relatively slight risk of perpetrating a school shooting such as the one that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, or, for that matter, a violent crime of any kind.

The law was enacted in the wake of the Valentine's Day shooting death of 17 students and teachers at Stoneman Douglas, allegedly by a 19-year-old former male student who authorities said legally bought the AR-15-style rifle used in the attack.

It cites a report that in 2015 only 1.8 percent of those arrested for violent crime were women in that age bracket, while men in that age group made up 8.7 percent of arrests for violent crime.

The complaint also says the law violates the 14th Amendments equal protection clause by banning adults between 18 and 21 from buying guns but does not apply such a ban to adults 21 and over.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf NRA v. Bondi.pdf (164.5 KB, 83 views)

― Plato
wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:13 PM #2
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

GOOD!!!
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:21 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz View Post
GOOD!!!
I agree!
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
-Declaration of Independence 7/4/1776
Bisleyfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:25 PM #4
dont be a dumbass

dont be a dumbass

hmm. Dont they need to find actual plaintiffs for this? As in: actual 18-20 year old who but for this law could buy a rifle?

This lawsuit was filed awfully quick. Its almost like they wanted to let the bill pass and then sue.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:30 PM #5
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

Rick Scott can now safely run for higher office because he did "Something".

Votes Gained vs. Votes Lost seems like a wash to me.

Will Gov. Scott end up as a member of Trump's administration if he loses his senate race?
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
hmm. Dont they need to find actual plaintiffs for this? As in: actual 18-20 year old who but for this law could buy a rifle?

This lawsuit was filed awfully quick. Its almost like they wanted to let the bill pass and then sue.
I was wondering too if they have standing. I saw an article the other day about someone in Oregon (I think) that is suing Walmart and another company for not selling a rifle.
dlmarion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post

The NRA alleged that it has members that fit the class which is enough legally. Once it gets to discovery the NRA will have to prove it. However it makes for really bad optics to not have any named. I hope they amend with some actual people.

― Plato
wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:06 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
The NRA alleged that it has members that fit the class which is enough legally. Once it gets to discovery the NRA will have to prove it. However it makes for really bad optics to not have any named. I hope they amend with some actual people.
Does the FL law have a delayed effective date? Just going off of acquaintances in MD with Dicks and Walmarts ban, there are several people I know who are affected and would love to sue. I can't imagine the NRA having a hard time finding plantifs in FL.
Rab1515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues