• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

classicfirearms.com

Just ordered 3 boxes of 72 Romanian surplus....

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
    Romanian 7.62x25 Ammunition, Brass, Berdan, 1980's Production, Sure Fire - 72rd Box AMMROM-762x25-72BOX 3 $59.97
    Subtotal $59.97
    Shipping & Handling $10.63
    Grand Total $70.60

It may be corrosive but that's OK, I have hot soapy water and oil! :thumbsup:

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I load my own with 92 grain poly coated bullets from King's Shooter Supply. Works out to about 17 cents each since I make cases from 223 range pickups. Extra work, but using a brass catcher I don't have to make cases often.
    One of my TTs needed a new extractor spring to extract reliably. That's all I've had to do besides clean and lube.

Last edited:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    classicfirearms.com

Just ordered 3 boxes of 72 Romanian surplus....

Item Sku Qty Subtotal

Romanian 7.62x25 Ammunition, Brass, Berdan, 1980's Production, Sure Fire - 72rd Box AMMROM-762x25-72BOX 3 $59.97

Subtotal $59.97

Shipping & Handling $10.63

Grand Total $70.60

It may be corrosive but that's OK, I have hot soapy water and oil! :thumbsup:

Being a squirt bottle of Windex to the range. Ammonia neutralizes the corrosive residue.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Being a squirt bottle of Windex to the range. Ammonia neutralizes the corrosive residue.

Good thought BUT first they have to ship it first. :mad54: Emails and calls finally got a reply today saying they're backed up but it's being processed. :rolleyes: Communication people, COMMUNICATION and leave your bible quotes out of it. When I see that sort of thing I wonder if they're scam artist or genuine.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Good thought BUT first they have to ship it first. :mad54: Emails and calls finally got a reply today saying they're backed up but it's being processed. :rolleyes: Communication people, COMMUNICATION and leave your bible quotes out of it. When I see that sort of thing I wonder if they're scam artist or genuine.

I've made several purchases from Classic (including my Romanian Tok). Never had a problem.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Ammonia doesn't "neutralize" corrosive primer residue. The water in Windex dissolves and suspends it and flushes it out. Any soap and water solution will work, and many are better than ammonia solutions at cleaning the salts out of a gun.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I've made several purchases from Classic (including my Romanian Tok). Never had a problem.

They claim they're backed up and working OT... maybe so, maybe not, 6 days so far, in my world that's ******** to not even have shipped it yet. :rolleyes:

Yeaaaaaa, I got a tracking number on the 18th, not shipped but it's a start I guess! Meanwhile back to the wait music....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5of9pLlm9PM

Last edited:

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Ammonia doesn't "neutralize" corrosive primer residue. The water in Windex dissolves and suspends it and flushes it out. Any soap and water solution will work, and many are better than ammonia solutions at cleaning the salts out of a gun.

Interesting. I was told it neutralized it. It made sense because Mosins were issued with a two part can that contained an alkali solution and oil. Then again, I'm not a chemist.
    All I know is my Mosin rifle and my Nagant revolver never corroded.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Interesting. I was told it neutralized it. It made sense because Mosins were issued with a two part can that contained an alkali solution and oil. Then again, I'm not a chemist.
    All I know is my Mosin rifle and my Nagant revolver never corroded.

Nope, doesn't neutralize. The water is what does it. However, the ammonia does help as it's a surfactant which will work lift the corrosive salts out of pitting and the lands and grooves where plain water wouldn't necessarily reach in effective quantities to do the job. It doesn't dissolve it but does act as a release agent (which is what it does in your laundry and on your windows). Certain Windex products no longer contain ammonia BTW. None the less, hot, soapy water works the best.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Nope, doesn't neutralize. The water is what does it. However, the ammonia does help as it's a surfactant which will work lift the corrosive salts out of pitting and the lands and grooves where plain water wouldn't necessarily reach in effective quantities to do the job. It doesn't dissolve it but does act as a release agent (which is what it does in your laundry and on your windows). Certain Windex products no longer contain ammonia BTW. None the less, hot, soapy water works the best.

Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to understand how things work.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to understand how things work.

I believed Windex "neutralized" the salts for years too. A chemist at work told me it is the water, the Ammonia is just a detergent. I was like: "Really? But everyone says..." And he responded that he was a chemist, "everyone" was not. :lol2:
    Now I use dish soap or Simple Green and hot water, followed by regular bore cleaner and oil. The main thing is water, and soaps help unbind the salts from the steel, or something like that. I'm not a chemist.
    Lots of good detergent with water combos. Just be aware some detergents corrode aluminum. like "Purple" cleaners and regular Simple Green.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I believed Windex "neutralized" the salts for years too. A chemist at work told me it is the water, the Ammonia is just a detergent. I was like: "Really? But everyone says..." And he responded that he was a chemist, "everyone" was not. :lol2:
    Now I use dish soap or Simple Green and hot water, followed by regular bore cleaner and oil. The main thing is water, and soaps help unbind the salts from the steel, or something like that. I'm not a chemist.
    Lots of good detergent with water combos. Just be aware some detergents corrode aluminum. like "Purple" cleaners and regular Simple Green.

Current Windex formulas don't even contain Ammonia according to their MSDS sheets.

But it does work well, and I still use it and I have been a chem lab tech for 17 years.

The surfactants seem to help, and I like that it evaporates faster than just water, or soapy water.

Ammonia isn't needed and could actually harm your gun if you use strong solution and leave it sit.

Current windex ingredients:
    2-Butoxyethanol
    Ethylene glycol hexyl ether
    Isopropyl Alcohol
    Water

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    The sights are worse than the "last ditch" Arisakas. Might as well glue sticks in a V for rear sight.

I told my dad how much I loved the Tokarev variants, the 7.62x25 cartridge, and the CZ vz. 52. He bought a Yugo M57, Romanian TTC, and a CZ.

He couldn't get them to shoot very well at all. He slugged the Romanian and it slugged at .313...The others were tighter, but still left a lot to be desired with commercial ammo.

He started reloading for them and had the same results until he got some Sierra .312 90gr JHC and they all love that bullet. He's got them shooting great now, even the Romanian which couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with commercial ammo.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I told my dad how much I loved the Tokarev variants, the 7.62x25 cartridge, and the CZ vz. 52. He bought a Yugo M57, Romanian TTC, and a CZ.

He couldn't get them to shoot very well at all. He slugged the Romanian and it slugged at .313...The others were tighter, but still left a lot to be desired with commercial ammo.

He started reloading for them and had the same results until he got some Sierra .312 90gr JHC and they all love that bullet. He's got them shooting great now, even the Romanian which couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with commercial ammo.

Ammo came so I'm happy, using the PPU ammo it's quite a cartridge... more penetration over the Luger. I don't need it but it's a good home protection weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom