• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Going on a hog hunt next month. First time for this (actually any hunting at all). Any suggestions for ammo? I am bringing my AR and my FAL, so need ammo in both flavors. I wanted to get some ahead of time to use to sight in my rifles. TIA

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I'd be interested in suggestions too as we're going on our first hog hunt in November and plan to take a 5.56 AR.
    OP: you might mention what your barrel twist is. Mine is 1:7 and I plan to take a 75 grain load.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Winchester(?) makes a Razorback line specifically for hogs. I'd start there.
    Generic hunting ammo is no bueno. You want a bonded soft point bullet to stay together through the tough hide and structure of a pig. Federal Fusion is pretty good at this as is their trophy bear claw line.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    I've shot a lot of hogs and they're not hard to put down. We've used .223 to 375H&H. For the AR, I'd suggest 69-grain+ just because. For the .308 you can use about any 150-grain+. Everyone wants to sell you their special line of hog killing bullets. I think that's mostly marketing hype. There are no "magic bullets" but shot placement is important. Have fun.
    I'm happy to help you with excess chops or sausage.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I would stick with Federal Fusion and I would stick with your FAL. I'm not saying it can't be done with a 5.56 AR, but I feel that unless you are getting a really good behind-the-ear shot, you probably will be better served with the .308.

That being said, I know a guy who uses a .22/250 on hogs with good results.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    There are some really good videos and postings online to help with shot placement. You will find some strong recommendations for a neck/spine shot about midway between the head and the shoulder. One problem with some higher power solid rounds is that they pass through soft tissue without off-loading much energy. For that reason I've gravitated to nosler ballistic bullets in 100 gr (6.5 Creedmoor).

Depending on where you're hunting you might end up doing a lot of night hunting. Feral pigs are often very nocturnal. In that case you'll be using a light. If so get one with interchangable red and green bulbs. The outfitter should be able to advise regarding which is working best.

Note that at night you will hear them before you see them. Light goes on, target is acquired. Aimpoint is selected. Bang. This all happens in a matter of seconds. These conditions make Target acquisition challenging. Also, be sure you have a lower powered or variable scope with a low range available. On our last hunt I mistakenly took a scope with 6x as the lowest setting. Difficult to acquire a target in a red light environment.

Enjoy! Big pigs for trophies. Smaller pigs for better eating.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    5.56 isn't ideal, but I've taken quite a few with Remington Hog Hammer in that caliber. I use it because I don't have a proper hunting rifle right now. As everyone else said, shot placement is critical. Aim for the spine between the head and shoulders. Hogs move a lot, and their heads don't seem to stop. Getting the spine shot in the neck is easier than a head shot, and the hear/vitals are lower and better protected than you might expect.
    232084.jpg

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    cap688 and big steve

I am pondering a hog hunt also.

Where are you guys going?

Can you give specifics and details (costs, accomodations, etc.)?

Rmocarsky

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

Rmocarsky

We chose Spartan Hunting Preserve. We met the guy and his wife who own/run the place at the last outdoor show in Harrisburg this past Feb. We talked to a lot of hog hunting operators and this guy was the only one we found that offered a free range hunt and a no hog no pay guarantee. It's also drive-able distance; I'll probably be opening a thread on whether or not to overhaul our SUV prior to the drive.

REF: http://boarhuntingtn.com/

Pricing: http://boarhuntingtn.com/spartan-preserve-price-list/
    "NO KILL NO PAY that means pay Nothing."

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    5.56 isn't ideal, but I've taken quite a few with Remington Hog Hammer in that caliber. I use it because I don't have a proper hunting rifle right now. As everyone else said, shot placement is critical. Aim for the spine between the head and shoulders. Hogs move a lot, and their heads don't seem to stop. Getting the spine shot in the neck is easier than a head shot, and the hear/vitals are lower and better protected than you might expect.

Rifle is a Sig 516, 1:7 rifle twist, with bipod & 1-4 Leupold VX-R patrol scope. It's a tradeoff between power (recoil) and getting off a fast 2nd or third shot. Her deer rifle is a bolt action .243 that has more power but that fast 2nd shot isn't going to happen. It will be for the Mrs. btw.

I didn't know Remington made Hog Hammer in .223. I was thinking a heavier bullet might be better but 62 grains might be just fine.

I was also looking at this one (79 grains!!!) but not sure if I wanted frangible bullet in meat we intend to eat unless we get a head/neck shot.
    REF: https://www.drtammo.com/Load-Data

I'm also looking at this one:
    Vor-Tx 5.56x45mm 70 Grain Triple Shock X- Bullet Boattail
    REF: http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-rifle/

So what do you guys think of the DRT & Barnes?

PS: we never hunted hogs before so it's a bit of a head scratcher for us.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    A load using the Barnes bullet is what I choose in 223. The Rem Hog Hammer 62 Barnes should work just fine; it does great on deer. And, well, Barnes loads their own in 55, 62, and 70. I'd choose the most accurate in your gun between the 62 and 70 there. Good luck on your hunt!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    +1 for 150 grain or heavier soft points for .308...work like a champ on vitals. I load my own with 165 Sierra Game Kings but plain old Remington Core Lokts work just fine. If hunting with smaller caliber, I would take neck shots.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold

Rmocarsky

Last hunt was in Oklahoma. Both a huge fenced area on 9000 cre ranch, and open fair hunt. We hunted stationary at night, and either in blinds or walk and stalk during the day. We were free to shoot just about everything except deer. About 2 hours north of Dallas. Great people mto work with. If yu didn't get a pig you needed to check out your gun or your aim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom