• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have a older Remington 700 (youth model) The trigger pull is horrible. This trigger has the three screw style. I'm aware of how to remove the glue and adjust the trigger. I have a trigger pull gauge.

My question is, after the desired trigger pull if set, what should I place on the
    set screw to ensure is doesn't move? (nail polish) or is there a product available to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Nail polish works fine. Be careful not to go below 2 1/2 lbs as the trigger will not reliably reset! I have done quite a number of these and that is the absolute minimum weight I consider to be reliable.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Thanks guys. My sons youth .308 is horrible. It takes two men and a small boy to pull. Its 6 3/4-7 lbs. So even at 3-4 pounds he will be ecstatic.

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    Careful according to 60 minutes the rifle likes to go shooting on its own :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Careful according to 60 minutes the rifle likes to go shooting on its own :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have a friend who is a retired armorer and has seen literally thousands of Remington triggers. We had a conversation about the 60 minutes report the other day and he said that he had never seen one do what they claim unless it had been messed with after it left the factory. I have seen a lot of these triggers also and my observations have been the same as his. The only issue I have noticed from the factory, regarding Remington 700 triggers is the thread locking compound on the early X Mark-Pro version was applied excessively and may interfere with the mechanism. Remington does have a recall on these. Considering Remington has produced over 7 million model 700's, their safety record is excellent. That said, I do not recommend just anyone to do trigger adjustments as they definitely need to know what they are doing. Always check to make sure any firearm functions properly before use.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Ok. I got the adjustment completed. The trigger is breaking at 4 1/4 pounds and is very crisp and repeatable. I did all the safety checks, to include striking the butt plate on the ground with the safety off, pulling the trigger with the safety on, and putting the safety
    on and off repeatedly, to check engagement.

I was able to use some of the Wife's HOT PINK enamel to complete the job.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Ok. I got the adjustment completed. The trigger is breaking at 4 1/4 pounds and is very crisp and repeatable. I did all the safety checks, to include striking the butt plate on the ground with the safety off, pulling the trigger with the safety on, and putting the safety
    on and off repeatedly, to check engagement.

I was able to use some of the Wife's HOT PINK enamel to complete the job.

"HOT PINK"? :lol2:
    There is a small hole in the side of the trigger housing that will allow visual inspection of the amount of engagement. I know that is a pretty subjective way of checking it though. At 4 1/4 lbs. you should be good to go. I do like to keep the trigger weight at around that weight for hunting so that I can feel it when wearing gloves.:thumbsup:

Sirex