• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Got a call from my wife while I was on my way home from work that there was a letter taped to the door with a $300 fine for lids not securely placed on the trash cans. We live in Essex and trash pickup up is Monday night/ Tuesday morning. Well the letter was dated for yesterday but was put on the door today 8/30. And I do put my cans out in the alley without lids so they don't grow legs, get blown away or demolished from cars running them over. So has anyone else had such a fine issued to them? And am I in the wrong from having this really pi$$ me off? When my can are in the yard they are lid tightly (Brute Rubbermaid) that yes the rats have chewed hole in the side while standing on the handle can post pictures later if anyone is curious. But to not put the fine on the door the day it is witnessed with no more detail is really screwed up.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm jealous and I want to move to Essex.

They have their shit so squared away that they can focus on the most petty issues and abuse citizens over them.
    We still have crime, etc over here.

Lucky.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Stoveman I apologize for posting it here didn't think it all the way thru so if a Mod wants please move to water cooler. But here's a copy of the letter. I would really have preferred he knocked on the door when I was home to tell him to EAT $***.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      77.7 KB · Views: 1,433

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Stoveman I apologize for posting it here didn't think it all the way thru so if a Mod wants please move to water cooler. But here's a copy of the letter. I would really have preferred he knocked on the door when I was home to tell him to EAT $***.

No worries.

I'm stunned BC actually does this. I see a For Sale sign in your future....

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Who issued the fine?

ETA: it was taped to the door...WTF? Thats not even close to being legit. I like SRD's advice.

Was wondering the same thing. Either HOA or City I'm sure. Either way, $300 is a bit of scratch for something so small. I might do some internet research to try to fight it.

Edit to add: Relevant Codes from letter:

§ 13-4-201. METHOD OF SOLID WASTE STORAGE - IN GENERAL.
    (a) Application. This section does not apply to solid waste storage at processing facilities permitted in accordance with provisions of this title and the regulations of the Department.
    (b) Premises to be free from accumulations. A person shall keep the person's premises free from accumulations of improperly stored solid waste.
    (c) Approved receptacles. All solid waste storage at public and private properties shall be in approved receptacles suitable for storage purposes.
    (d) Storage of garbage. All garbage shall be stored in approved rodent-resistant, watertight containers with tight-fitting lids.
    (1988 Code, § 32-36) (Bill No. 156, 1989, § 1; Bill No. 105-00, § 2, 7-1-2004)

§ 1-2-217. GENERAL PENALTIES.
    (a) Misdemeanors. A person who violates a provision of the Code, or an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation of the county for which no specific penalty is provided is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment for not more than 90 days.
    (b) Civil penalties.
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates a provision of the Code, or an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation of the county which is punishable by a civil penalty but for which no specific civil penalty is provided is subject to a civil penalty not exceeding $1,000.
    (2) A civil penalty imposed as part of a citation issued under Title 3, Subtitle 6 of the Code may not exceed $500 per violation.
    (c) Separate offenses. Each day a violation of a provision of the Code or of an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation continues shall constitute a separate offense.
    (d) False statement.
    (1) A person may not knowingly make a false statement, representation, or certification in any application, record, report, plan, or other document filed or required to be maintained in accordance with the County Code.
    (2) A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days or both.
    (1988 Code, § 1-8) (Bill No. 39-97, § 3, 6-6-1997; Bill No. 31-99, § 3, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 82-06, § 3, 8-24-2006)

I'd definitely show up and fight it if I were you. Take pictures that your lids fit fine they just didnt' happen to be on at that instant b/c of trash collection. Show you've never had any violations before.

Here's a 2009 article on it:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-te.md.scenes30mar30-story.html

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I never curb my cans with the lids on them or after the first time I would never have lids . About the dumbest thing I have heard , I would be pissed too .

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    More MD insanity.

Here you aren't even supposed to put your trash in cans by the curb. Has to be loose bags.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    $300.00! Wow. Well, its an election year. Maybe check out whose running in your district and complain that you never even got a warning. $300 can certainly influence how someone votes (and campaigns). Although from my recollection, that would never have happened in the "City." Some of the places I knew didn't even bother with trash cans, they just dumped the trash in the alley, then complained to the City about the mess. Either way, it stinks.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Was wondering the same thing. Either HOA or City I'm sure. Either way, $300 is a bit of scratch for something so small. I might do some internet research to try to fight it.

Edit to add: Relevant Codes from letter:

§ 13-4-201. METHOD OF SOLID WASTE STORAGE - IN GENERAL.
    (a) Application. This section does not apply to solid waste storage at processing facilities permitted in accordance with provisions of this title and the regulations of the Department.
    (b) Premises to be free from accumulations. A person shall keep the person's premises free from accumulations of improperly stored solid waste.
    (c) Approved receptacles. All solid waste storage at public and private properties shall be in approved receptacles suitable for storage purposes.
    (d) Storage of garbage. All garbage shall be stored in approved rodent-resistant, watertight containers with tight-fitting lids.
    (1988 Code, § 32-36) (Bill No. 156, 1989, § 1; Bill No. 105-00, § 2, 7-1-2004)

§ 1-2-217. GENERAL PENALTIES.
    (a) Misdemeanors. A person who violates a provision of the Code, or an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation of the county for which no specific penalty is provided is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment for not more than 90 days.
    (b) Civil penalties.
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who violates a provision of the Code, or an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation of the county which is punishable by a civil penalty but for which no specific civil penalty is provided is subject to a civil penalty not exceeding $1,000.
    (2) A civil penalty imposed as part of a citation issued under Title 3, Subtitle 6 of the Code may not exceed $500 per violation.
    (c) Separate offenses. Each day a violation of a provision of the Code or of an ordinance, law, rule, or regulation continues shall constitute a separate offense.
    (d) False statement.
    (1) A person may not knowingly make a false statement, representation, or certification in any application, record, report, plan, or other document filed or required to be maintained in accordance with the County Code.
    (2) A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days or both.
    (1988 Code, § 1-8) (Bill No. 39-97, § 3, 6-6-1997; Bill No. 31-99, § 3, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 82-06, § 3, 8-24-2006)

I'd definitely show up and fight it if I were you. Take pictures that your lids fit fine they just didnt' happen to be on at that instant b/c of trash collection. Show you've never had any violations before.

Here's a 2009 article on it:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-te.md.scenes30mar30-story.html

I guess they think the average Joe is up to date on all of this local trash code :whack:

I think a warning would have been nice before a $300 fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom