• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Sorry if this has been covered in another thread. I tried to search and didn't find any info.

I just took my 9mm AR to the range for the first time today. I was using Blazer brass ammo 115 grain FMJ. I used this in my CZ and Glock's with no issue and it seamed to run clean.
    The cases coming out of my AR were all coming out about between 1 and 2 o'clock (I am a lefty) and all were extremely dirty. All primers looked fine with no signs of over pressure. None of the cases were deformed.

Is this normal? Do I need to use a heavier buffer or change my buffer spring?

10.5 inch CMMG barrel with A2 flash hider for now.
    Using a New Frontier Armory BCG
    Dedicated New Frontier Armory Glock Lower
    At this time it is in a pistol configuration (90 days on Form 1 and counting)
    The buffer tube is a sig buffer tube (taken off of another pistol that uses standard M4 springs and buffer)
    Buffer is the New Frontier Armory supplied 9 mm buffer/spring and has an insert supplier by NFA instead of quarters.

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't seen too many 9mm AR's that spit out clean casings, so I'd be willing to say it's to be expected.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Different ammo manufacturers use some awfully dirty gunpowder. I personally think that Winchester White Box is the filthiest ammo around. Try some different ammo to see what you think.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Different ammo manufacturers use some awfully dirty gunpowder. I personally think that Winchester White Box is the filthiest ammo around. Try some different ammo to see what you think.
    Lol, love the smell of Winchester white box after a few rounds, which might be related to your observation.

Shot it yesterday with a CZ Scorpion carbine, and the brass did seem dirtier than when shot out of a handgun, but would like to do a side-by-side.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County

First time at the range after putting together. All I had with me was the Blazer brass. Plan is to getting the bugs out with commercial ammo then use reloads when I am sure it is working.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If the gun worked without a hitch, I don't think I would change a thing.

Dirty bras...meh. A 9mm AR that runs "right out of the gate"...priceless!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If the gun worked without a hitch, I don't think I would change a thing.

Dirty brass... meh. A 9mm AR that runs "right out of the gate"...priceless!

Exactly. That's why they make tumblers. To make dirty brass clean again. :thumbsup:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    It will be dirty, it's a blowback action so as soon as its fired it begins unlocking the action. With a delayed action IE roller blowback or a Browning tilt action there's a few milliseconds where the pressure drops and gas moves towards the barrel.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    It will be dirty, it's a blowback action so as soon as its fired it begins unlocking the action. With a delayed action IE roller blowback or a Browning tilt action there's a few milliseconds where the pressure drops and gas moves towards the barrel.

I am also under the impression that the chamber in my Colt is pretty generously sized. This was designed as a SMG to be reliable, not to leave us with pretty looking brass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom